Getting Legal...lot Number System???

Business By cakeschmake Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm by aundron

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 11

I am working on getting legal in my home here in TN. I wondered if anyone can share their lot number system with me or offer some tips on how it's done?
I just can't seem to figure out an easy way to do this and I want to get my information submitted to the HD this week...
Any help is greatly appreciated!

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 11

I've been licensed for 12 years.

What the heck is a lot number system?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I've been licensed for 12 years.

What the heck is a lot number system?

I wondered the same thing. I've never heard of it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 11

Is that something local there for you on the other end of our state?

cakeschmake Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:15am
post #5 of 11

Thanks for responding.. it has me confused as well...

They told us at the food safety course and in the list of regulations that we need to have a lot number labled on our food. I guess it is a way to narrow down what caused a problem if someone happens to get sick from my cakes: some way tracking the ingredients that were used in the cake.

I should say that I have put in phone calls and emails to the HD and had no luck getting a response from them as to how to go about this.

It seems like a lot of trouble to figure out what flour, and what vanilla flavoring, and what sugar, etc. went into each cake.... It is going to be different for each ingredient that I have.

I thought maybe someone else could share, but I am beginning to wonder if it is necessary at all.

Has no one heard of this really?

Believe I would rather skip it all together but I havent had any luck with the HD in getting any answers....

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:23am
post #6 of 11

Make sure this applies to you, I have never heard of this for your/our type of business. The place I used to work went bigger time in our state and got approved by the FDA and they don't even have to do this.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 11

when I took the food safety course, they talked about lot numbers as it applies to fresh seafood......you had to keep the tags from the seafood and keep records on when/where it was used. Are you confusing that?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 11

Ahhh . . .what you're talking about is part of a HACCP. You simply use a sharpie to date your bags, boxes, cans of product as they come in your door so that you rotate your ingredients properly. Some companies make color coded stickers to help you identify at a glance what day and even time a product came in. Those are used by huge warehouses.

But if you don't have a published HACCP, then you don't have to do anything.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyw321

Thanks for responding.. it has me confused as well...

They told us at the food safety course and in the list of regulations that we need to have a lot number labled on our food. I guess it is a way to narrow down what caused a problem if someone happens to get sick from my cakes: some way tracking the ingredients that were used in the cake.

I should say that I have put in phone calls and emails to the HD and had no luck getting a response from them as to how to go about this.

It seems like a lot of trouble to figure out what flour, and what vanilla flavoring, and what sugar, etc. went into each cake.... It is going to be different for each ingredient that I have.

I thought maybe someone else could share, but I am beginning to wonder if it is necessary at all.

Has no one heard of this really?

Believe I would rather skip it all together but I havent had any luck with the HD in getting any answers....

Hey Becky!! I live in TN as well and I just turned in my paperwork to be inspected. The list that was sent to me; for the stuff I had to turn in, didn't require me to turn in any lot numbers.

They asked for labeling, business license, hours, and personal info(name, address, etc) and that's it.

I have heard of the lot numbers, but they didn't ask for it on the form. HTH icon_smile.gif

cakeschmake Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

when I took the food safety course, they talked about lot numbers as it applies to fresh seafood......you had to keep the tags from the seafood and keep records on when/where it was used. Are you confusing that?

No, the course was for home based businesses specifically so I am pretty sure that it wasnt about seafood.. can you imagine selling THAT from home? icon_lol.gif

Thanks Leah, I remember HACCP and have always dated my ingredients anyway. I believe I just assumed that since we went over that in the course, it applied to everyone.

Aundron,
Thanks for helping out as well... I am glad to know that I can skip that part all together. This was all I lacked in getting my documentation turned in, so its off in the mail today!
Good luck with your inspection!

Thanks again everyone!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyw321

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

No, the course was for home based businesses specifically so I am pretty sure that it wasnt about seafood.. can you imagine selling THAT from home? icon_lol.gif

Thanks Leah, I remember HACCP and have always dated my ingredients anyway. I believe I just assumed that since we went over that in the course, it applied to everyone.

Aundron,
Thanks for helping out as well... I am glad to know that I can skip that part all together. This was all I lacked in getting my documentation turned in, so its off in the mail today!
Good luck with your inspection!

Thanks again everyone!

Well, let's hope I did it right as well!! LOL!! I did put dates on my labels though, we'll see!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%