I Won Best In Show At Az Cake Show!

Decorating By brea1026 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm by Price

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 70

I am still in shock!!! I can't believe it!!! I won 1st place in the Advanced Division and Best in Show!!! Woohoo!!!

I had such a great time this year at the Arizona Cake and Sugar Art show. The Westside Cake Club did a wonderful job. Thank you to all of you who worked so hard to make it such a wonderful event.

I was so nervous about entering! I call it the Tutu cake. They were made with 6 x 6" and 6 x 10" rounds. I carved the waist in a little on the top then rolled out thin ropes of fondant for the corset. The fondant ropes were spaced evenly down the sides of the cake, except for the front of the bodice. I left the area where the laces would go without a fondant rope. I covered that with fondant to give it the look of a corset. Then I took a flat tool and made stitching marks down each rope.

The rest of the bodice was done by piping RI and using silver dragees. The laces are made from fondant also. I had so much fun making my first set of gumpaste roses. There is an AWESOME tutorial on youtube.com by a lady named Edna. I do however need to work on my leaves and stamens a little.

Now for the skirt... That took forever! Each layer is a 2" strip of fondant rolled pretty thin then attached to the cake starting at the bottom. Then I took cotton balls and just placed them under the skirt to give it a ruffle. Because this was a show cake and made with dummies I used new cotton balls, however, if I ever make is as an actual cake I will use marshmallows. (I wouldn't want anyone to eat some fuzz on accident! =0) After each layer was dry I did the next layer. I think it took about 13 layers in all.

I am still just so excited about my win. There were so many awesome cakes there this year! I almost chickened out at the last minute but now I am glad that I put my insecurities aside and went for it.

Thanks for looking! Happy Baking!
Breanna
LL
LL
LL

69 replies
dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:17am
post #2 of 70

Congratulations! It looks so beautiful! I really wanted to be there, but I couldn't make it to the show since I had to be out of town icon_sad.gif It truly is an award worthy cake!

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:18am
post #3 of 70

congratulations
what a beautiful cake

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #4 of 70

I saw your cake! It was one of my favorites! Congratulations!! I loved the ruffles, I loved everything about it! It was eye-catching and the work was very clean. Bravo!

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:22am
post #5 of 70

This sure was a great cake--I know I took a lot of pictures of it. Thanks also for the directions--I was wondering how yoyu supported those layers until they dried CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:23am
post #6 of 70

your cake is so beautiful.... your poem is also beautiful... love the whole idea of your cake... you deserved to win....

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:24am
post #7 of 70

WOW!!! Great job! Congrats.

How did you do the ruffles, fondant or gumpaste? thumbs_up.gifparty.gif

Bigbearswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bigbearswife Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:27am
post #8 of 70

congratulations

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:31am
post #9 of 70

icon_biggrin.gif Yeah! That cake was amazing, I loved it, took lots of pictures! Very proud of you! Now, I will play the part of a CakeWrecks pro...ahem:

Congradulations!
underneat that
You go Gril!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sunday Sweets here you come! icon_razz.gif

That whole show was great! I'm glad I placed too, I was worried about my lack of table draping skills!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:39am
post #10 of 70

Gorgeous Cake!!!! Job well done and well deserved!!! Congrats!

brea1026 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:44am
post #11 of 70

Thank you all!

Jamie85364- I seriously just woke my baby up laughing so hard at your CakeWrecks ditty! You did wonderful at the show too! I loved your cake and thought it was so unique!

Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:53am
post #12 of 70

What a beautiful cake!! Excellent work! Congratulations, you deserve it! And to think you did it with a baby in the house! I have a 7 month old and he makes caking a challenge!! You did wonderful!!!

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:09am
post #13 of 70

Congratulations on your win. Beautiful cake!

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:12am
post #14 of 70

Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:19am
post #15 of 70

Great job on the cake...it's definitely award-worthy. And thanks for sharing your technique on getting the ruffles.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:57am
post #16 of 70

Congratulations! The tutu is absolutely gorgeous. icon_biggrin.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #17 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by brea1026

I had so much fun making my first set of gumpaste roses. There is an AWESOME tutorial on youtube.com by a lady named Edna.

Breanna, I betcha didn't know that Edna is a member of CC...her CC name is tonedna! icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #18 of 70

Simply Stunning!!! icon_eek.gif Congratulations!! icon_smile.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm
post #19 of 70

WOOHOO!!! thumbs_up.gif Super Duper Congratulations Breanna! Your cake was outstanding! Totally gorgeous design! icon_biggrin.gif Loved the piping and the perfect ruffled tutu. The bodice was beautiful! You should be SO proud of yourself! What an awesome honor! Supreme job!

KimAZ

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #20 of 70

What a beautiful cake!!! You did yourself proud and made me so envious!!! Congratulations....you deserve it and then some!!!

Warmest regards,
LuAnn

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:33pm
post #21 of 70

Congratulations on your well deserved win. Very pretty cake indeed.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #22 of 70

icon_biggrin.gif Congratulations. Stunning cake, you deserve to win. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:42pm
post #23 of 70

Wow. Wow. Wow. Stunning! thumbs_up.gif

Lisa

merciermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merciermom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:47pm
post #24 of 70

Absolutely gorgeous it's beautiful!!!! Congrats!!!!! and may you continue much sucess and award winning!!!!! And the Winner is........... Breanna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoooo whooo !!!!

angel icon_smile.gif

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #25 of 70

Your cake is absolutely beautiful.....the ruffles are stunning

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:58pm
post #26 of 70

Congratulations!

Lomikesa

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:59pm
post #27 of 70

Congratulations! Your cake is exquisite! I love everything about it but especially the skirt ruffles.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #28 of 70

You did get a picture standing in front of your cake with the CakeWrecks shirt on, riiiight? icon_lol.gif

I can't see how Jen wouldn't post you for Sunday Sweets with a pic like that!!!

brea1026 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:56pm
post #29 of 70

Jamie-Yes I did get a picture of me with my Cake Wrecks shirt on guess what?!??! I sent it to Jen and she wrote me back this morning and asked if she could post it sometime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am pretty sure my exact respose was: "YES! That would be the most Awesomly Awesome thing EVER!" =0) To even be considered for the Sunday Sweets is such an honor!!!

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #30 of 70

How exciting!!!!!!!!!!!! party.gif It's a gorgeous cake - Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%