Blistering Buttercream - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By mooj Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 2:26am by mooj

mooj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mooj Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 5

I get blisters or air bubbles under the surface of my buttercream after I have smoothed it with a warm spatula. It doesn't happen all the time, so I can't pinpoint exactly what I am doing to cause them. I always use the same recipe for buttercream. Sometimes I can pop the bubble and re-smooth. Sometimes the bubble comes back anyway - makes the buttercream look warty! What's going on? Anyone else ever have this happen and how do I get rid of the problem??

4 replies
jab2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab2004 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 5

The only thing I can think of is that maybe you're over mixing your icing and putting too much air in it.
Good Luck

jab2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab2004 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 5

The only thing I can think of is that maybe you're over mixing your icing and putting too much air in it.
Good Luck

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 5

Are you icing your cake at room temp? The only time I've ever gotten air bubbles is when I iced a cold or nearly still frozen cake.

HTH, K'ly

mooj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mooj Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 5

I am icing a room temperature cake with room temp buttercream. I always mix the color into my buttercream by hand so it won't have too much air. Maybe I catch an air bubble as I am spreading the buttercream onto the cake and trap it under the surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%