Cookies Celebrating Charles Darwin

Baking By mawagner Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 11:08am by mawagner

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 30

My DH is a biologist and his department is planning a little party to celebrate Charles Darwin's birthday next week. He has asked me to make cookies, but I have no idea what to do. I know Darwin did a lot of work with finches and the tortoise, so I thought about doing something with that, or even the Galapagos Islands. However, I don't feel like I can do a lot of detail on the cookies because I'm not very good at adding small details, so with that...does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any and all! TIA

29 replies
archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 30

How about a fish with legs and the word DARWIN written on the fish--like those car emblems?

mawagner Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 30

I just looked that up, as I don't think I had seen one before. That is a great idea. I will definitely add it to my list of possibilities Thanks!

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 30

What about the tree of life, representing evolution. You could make different cookies and then arrange them as in the tree. Here is a not-so-cute tree, but it might help to inspire you.

http://www.nbii.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_3846_404_1617_43/http%3B/public-content%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ecological_issues/genetic_biodiversity/phylogenetic_trees_intro/tree.gif

Or some fossil cookies?

HTH

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawagner

My DH is a biologist and his department is planning a little party to celebrate Charles Darwin's birthday next week. He has asked me to make cookies, but I have no idea what to do. I know Darwin did a lot of work with finches and the tortoise, so I thought about doing something with that, or even the Galapagos Islands. However, I don't feel like I can do a lot of detail on the cookies because I'm not very good at adding small details, so with that...does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any and all! TIA

I think the tortoise is great idea. There are plenty of turtle/tortoise cookie cutters out there...just google them. As for detaill, I looked at your photos and I think you can handle it! You are very good! For example: they can be whimsical turtles along the lines of your penguins.

mawagner Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 30

ngfcake,

I think I'm a little slow today...I'm not sure what you mean! LOL Would you make different cookies with the images like in the picture and arrange them in a tree shape or make tree shaped cookies with a different image on each? Sorry to be so dense icon_redface.gif

mawagner Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 30

Thank cookieman! I will take another look at the tortoise, but for some reason they scare me! LOL

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 30

You could also do a series of the evolution of man. Start off with the ape and make the progression to Homosapien. That might be a little more detailed then you want to go though.

Doing the Tree of Life would be great though. It's nothing you can mess up as it's a messy sketch.

http://gregcookland.com/journal/uploaded_images/picDarwin-781751.jpg

Since your hubby loves Darwin (I *heart* Darwin too) he would appreciate it.

ngfcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 30

I was thinking in different shapes (bacteria, animals and plants) arranged in the form of the tree of life (There are those sets of 101 cookie cutters which you can adapt and do the rest with a template). The tree could be made of carboard (or even a giant cookie!!). I don't now, I think I've got carried away!

It all depends on how much time do you want to spend with this cookies.

ngfcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 30

Now, the tree of life that jkalman linked is the one originally drawn by Darwin himself, it seems easy and not labour intensive! Certainly your brother would appreciate it!

mawagner Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 30

Thanks everyone! These are all great ideas!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 30

What about a Galapagos Island themed cake since a trip there is what inspired his theory of evolution!

You could make all of the little fondant animals in various stages of evolution.

Here is a link to the Galapagos tourism website:
http://www.galapagosislands.com/

FromScratch Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 30

You could easily make some cookies that are shaped like the Galapagos as well.. you wouldn't need to be overly detailed either. I know the extreme details are a pain, and when you aren't getting paid to do the it's even worse. icon_wink.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm
post #14 of 30

Ooops! You said cookies. Well, what jkalman said is what I would have said had I been paying attention.

D'oh! icon_redface.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:44pm
post #17 of 30

LOL I like the idea of doing turtles, birds, lizards and for sure a beagle cookie! Maybe some apes too!

mawagner Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 30

You guys rock!!! I have so many ideas now and am actually excited about doing these cookies. I was dreading it, but I think it will be a lot of fun now. Thanks for inspiring me with all of your creativity!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm
post #19 of 30

I was thinking monkeys and people. Too obvious? icon_biggrin.gif

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm
post #20 of 30

I love the fish with legs idea! My son was born on Darwin's b-day! icon_biggrin.gif

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:33pm
post #21 of 30

I love the fish with legs idea as well.... or here are several pics I found that may translate fairly easily to cookies. There's one of Darwin, that you could make edible images of as well. Anyway... just some thoughts. HTH!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

FromScratch Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:34pm
post #22 of 30

HA!!!! I love that school of fish one!!! That's awesome!

I have seen the Darwin fish eating the Jesus fish on cars too... makes me laugh everytime.

Or how about WAAAAY out in left field. You could do some Flying Spaghetti Monster cookies... if you don't know what it is look it up. Definitely not a direct link to Darwin and many have no clue, but I would get the connection. icon_lol.gif

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:41pm
post #23 of 30

The school of fish one is my favorite, too! Same with those stickers... the Darwin fish eating the Jesus fish!

Sooo... I just looked up the Flying Spaghetti Monsters, and that is hilarious!!! Here's a really cool pic from Wikipedia..... I busted up laughing when I saw this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:45pm
post #24 of 30

Using the FSM is a great idea!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:31pm
post #25 of 30

Please ask your husband and his biologist friends to raise a glass to Alfred Russel Wallace:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Russel_Wallace

Note the quote: He is best known for independently proposing a theory of natural selection which prompted Charles Darwin to publish his own theory.

(He's my DH's Great Grandfather, so we're a bit sensitive about Darwin-worship in our house. icon_lol.gif )

BTW - lots of fab cookie ideas! Have fun!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:47am
post #27 of 30

Jeanne: OK... so I was re-reading that Wikipedia entry re: Flying Spaghetti Monsters, and I thought this quote was priceless--

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."

icon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

toodlesjupiter Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm
post #28 of 30

OK mawagner.... What'd you end up doing?!?!?! Please post pics, I'm dying to see your creations!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #29 of 30

You'll have to post a pic of the finished product! I'm curious as to what you picked!

mawagner Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:08am
post #30 of 30

icon_redface.gif Sorry...no pics icon_redface.gif I did use the tree of life pic that toodlesjupiter had posted (thanks!!). My piping skills are lacking (no matter how easy the design is) so I ended up just sending them in without taking a picture. Thanks for all of your great ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%