Can Someone Tell Me If This Is A Decent Price For Satin Ice?

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm by Cakepro

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 19

I know GSA is cheaper, but I found Satin Ice at a local Bakery Supply store and it is $65 a bucket for 20 lbs. Is that an okay deal or should I find somewhere else? I would love to be able to get it locally, but I don't want to be paying an outrageous price. I know that when I ordered Satin Ice online last time I ended up paying close to that price with shipping b/c the shipping was $14.

Danielle

18 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 19

I just bought a 20lb. bucket for under $50 but paid a lot in shipping. I didn't mind since I was buying so much other stuff. I've seen websites sell this between $45.00-$80.00. If you order online, unless they're offering free shipping, you're going to spend around that much anyway in my opinion so I personally would buy it at that price.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 19

Compare it to Global Sugar Art with shippng and see which is less expensive. If you want to buy it locally that may be the price you have to pay. If I was going to pay that much for fondant I'd order choc-o-pan, it taste so much better satin ice IMO.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 19

I just purchased Satin Ice today, 5LB and paid $10 for shipping. I would not have ordered it but there is not a local retailer near me that carries it and I need it. The shipping was nearly as much as the actual Satin Ice. I would say if you can get it locally for the same price or roughly the same, get it where you are, if not and its a little bit less online including shipping (assuming you can wait for it to arrive also), order it online.
Also, I noticed they have a section on their checkout form for offer codes and discounts, I do not know where to snag a discount code since this was my first order but if you could fin one I'd bet you can get a little discount and maybe make it worth the order. JMHO

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 19

I do not buy Satin Ice from my local store unless it is an emergency. Mostly because they charge $89 for 20lbs.

Satin Ice 20lbs will have about $15-$20 shipping, but it is is around $46, it is worth it.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 19

I don't know where you are from. But I have a bakery supply buisness in my area I can get a 20lb. bucket for $47.00. I was getting it in 5lb. tubs for 13.50 from decopac. If ou have a tax id # you can order supplies fom them. They do deliver to my home address. hope this helps

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 19

I just checked Intotheoven for you and theirs is 46.49 + 12.69 (for my zip) delivery for a total of 59.18 so I am thinking your 65.00 is not a bad price

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 19

The local bakery suppliers here charge 100.00 for vanilla satin ice and 110.00 for chocolate! I was flabergasted when i saw those prices. That's when i made the executive desicion to either make my own or to order from one of the many online venders! For 65.00 i'd buy it! While your at it buy me one and send to me...Free shipping of course...j/j! icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I do not buy from my local store unless it is an emergency. Mostly because they charge $89 for 20lbs.

20lbs will have about $15-$20 shipping, but it is is around $46, it is worth it.

Where do you buy your Satin Ice?
Thanks!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 19

I was just checking Into The Oven, and Global Sugar Art. I usually use Into The Oven-and their shipping was $12 less than GSA. So, I would go with ITO.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:

I was just checking Into The Oven, and . I usually use Into The Oven-and their shipping was $12 less than . So, I would go with ITO.

Thanks for your help!!!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm
post #12 of 19

i buy from Into The Oven also. I love to help out my local cake supply shop, but she's got the price a little too high for me..even after shipping, i'd rather get it from ITO

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:17am
post #13 of 19
Quote:

I was just checking Into The Oven, and . I usually use Into The Oven-and their shipping was $12 less than . So, I would go with ITO.

I had to check this since it seemed like $12 was a huge difference for shipping and saw its only a lil more than $3. I never bought from ITO but I may start, seems like a great site.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #14 of 19

I'm going to be ordering from ITO myself, thanks to you all! They're out of a lot of the things (aside from the SatinIce) that I saw and wanted. Hopefully stock arrives soon!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:41am
post #15 of 19

I also order 20 lb pails of Satin Ice from Into The Oven. icon_smile.gif

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:50pm
post #16 of 19

God I wish I could get it for $65. I order from a supplier in Canada, and get 2 buckets at a time... for $180 (including shipping)! I wish I had some advise for you but if you can get it cheaper by ordering online I would do it. The money is better in your pocket right?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:10pm
post #17 of 19

What's the shelf life of Satin Ice?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #18 of 19

kmoores - I have never tried this - what do people say about the taste?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

What's the shelf life of ?

A year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%