Help...i Have A Biter!

Lounge By CakeMommyTX Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 6:26am by kjt

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 13

My 5 mth daughter thinks I am her own personal chew toy and her 2 cute little teeth are more like razors! icon_cry.gif
I nursed my 3 other children with no problem but this little girl won't stop biting, and it hurts!
I've tried stopping nursing when she bites and waiting a few minutes, to show her when she bites she has to stop eating. Well that doesnt work because as soon as I start feeding her again she bites me!
I know she is teething and I give her teething rings and crackers and all the other stuff but it doesnt seem to help.
Any suggestions?
Anyone else have a biter?

12 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 13

I always stuck my finger in the corner of their mouth, the same as if I were breaking the suction and just diverted their attention a minute. I always talked to my kids as if they knew what I was saying and I would say in a semi stern tone, no biting and then playfully said ouch. Try the lactation consultants at your local hospital. mine always said they were available to answer questions anytime...

CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 13

I've tried that but it does'nt seem to work, she smiles while she's biting, its almost a game I think.
She bites and mommy pays extra attention to her, should I ignore it?

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 13

Ha! I know that look you're talking about.. fortunately mine never tried that til they were about 9 months or so and I would get a peek from them out of the corner of their eye too. I would definitely try the lactation consultants. I'm trying to remember, isn't there a group it's called La Leche or something like that. I bet they have some tips on their website.. I found it.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bite.html

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:57am
post #5 of 13

Sounds like she thinks it's a game. Next time she bites I would take her off, say "Ouch! Biting hurts!" and NOT put her back on for at least an hour.

After a few times of this, she'll figure out that if she bites, she's not going to get any more food.

Good luck!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 13

I had a similar problem; my son would bite down and then pull away while I would 'snap' out of his mouth....I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing up even writing this, and it was 16 yrs. ago!

I had to make a very loud, almost screaming "NO BITE!" with him, and he learned very quickly that that biting behavior brought scary consequences. When I tried being 'nicer' about telling him 'no bite', he did the same smiling thing thinking it was a game. It's amazing how even at such a young age they're able to learn action=consequence.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:43am
post #7 of 13

Yeah, a very loud OOUUUUCCCHHH!!! from me usually did the trick icon_eek.gif It's rough when they think it's a game, and they can tell when you're trying not to laugh!

CakeMommyTX Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 13

Ok so it seems to have gotten worse overthe last few days, she bites about every 3 minutes!
I talked to her pediatrician who agrees she is teething and although I followed all of his suggestions she is still biting.
I'm actually sore!
I have been telling her "No Biting" in a firm voice and pulling her off, waiting a few minutes and then trying again, just to have her bite again.
I tried a bottle just to give my you know whats a rest and she refused to take it (it was also her first ever bottle).
She actually left teeth marks this morning, I'm dreading feeding her in an hour which is really upsetting because I enjoy doing it so much.
The boys never did this to me, and I am at a compete loss, I'm hoping she will just stop in a few days (sooner would be better) when the tooth breaks through.
Ouch it hurts just thinking about it.
Thank you all for your advice.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 13

When you tell her 'No Biting' is it firm enough to scare her? Does is make her cry? Unfortunately, you really do have to make it a miserable experience so she associates what she's doing with something bad. It's so hard to deliberately make your baby cry, but you can't continue to be tortured yourself every feeding; your fear will make you produce less milk for her.

I feel for you with her not taking the bottle; none of mine did either, ever. They were hopelessly attached for what seemed like forever, and I could never get any help from anyone else as they would only nurse. As glad as I am to be finished with that part of my life, I do still dream occasionally of nursing a baby, and sometimes even feels like I let down! Weird, huh?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 13

It has been a lot of years since I had babies, but I do believe if I had one that was biting me while nursing, I would immediately stop when she bit me, and switch to her a bottle for that feeding. If she won't take the bottle, just wait a while, maybe half an hour instead of five minutes, before going back to the breast.

I believe she would soon get the idea that if she bites she doesn't get "the real thing" but a bottle instead.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 13

I had a biter, and he actually brought blood once! I would press his cute little face into my breast, and it would cover his nose so he would let go. I know it sounds mean, but that's what the lactation consultant told me to do, and he would let go. A VERY firm NO BITE! would startle him, and he finally stopped. It makes me hurt to even think about going thru it! It hurt so bad! Good luck. It's amazing how fast they let go when you block their little nose with your boob! I would only say NO BITE, and no other interaction or words. Wait a few minutes, and let the baby nurse again.

laura1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura1029 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:25am
post #12 of 13

You're little one may be too young, but my son started biting around 11 months - hard enough to draw blood on more than one occasion. I finally got so frusturated when nothing worked that one day when he bit my knee and laughed I sat him on his butt, bit his knee (not hard!!!) and he got the picture real quick. No biting after that.

I have also heard that when they start biting while feeding, it may be time to switch to a bottle.

Whatever method you choose I hope something works for you soon - just reading your post made parts of my body cringe!!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 6:26am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

When you tell her 'No Biting' is it firm enough to scare her? Does is make her cry? Unfortunately, you really do have to make it a miserable experience so she associates what she's doing with something bad. It's so hard to deliberately make your baby cry, but you can't continue to be tortured yourself every feeding; your fear will make you produce less milk for her.

I agree.
It may seem mean, but you're going to have to let her know even at her young age that you mean business. Try tapping her cheek very firmly and say NO!!!, or pulling her to you in almost a jerk while saying NO! Good luck...so frustration -so rewarding raising those babies icon_rolleyes.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%