Fn Wedding Cake Challenge- Grooms Cake Question

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm by Susie53

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 21

The food network just had a wedding cake challenge. Did anyone see the poker grooms cake? The green 'felt" for the top of the table was shiny. really shiny! How did he do that. I thought he said it was fondant. Did I hear him right?
TIA!
~Michele

20 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 21

I missed that part, I should rewind and see what he said. But I have heard that if you brush the cake with vodka, it will give a really shiny look!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 21

I saw one of the decorators using a handheld steamer... that could be it.

shell62995 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

I saw one of the decorators using a handheld steamer... that could be it.

I dont think that was him w/ the steamer. I did see someone holding a steamer and was wondering why someone would use one of those!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 21

I haven't seen it yet but I do know Buddy Valastro uses a steamer. It gets rid of any cornstarch residue and also makes the fondant temporarily sticky so it's easy to attach decorations on.

shell62995 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:22am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

I haven't seen it yet but I do know Buddy Valastro uses a steamer. It gets rid of any cornstarch residue and also makes the fondant temporarily sticky so it's easy to attach decorations on.

ahhh! thanks!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:10am
post #7 of 21

I watched it! that was a great competition. I liked Buddy's cake the best and he also did the poker groom's cake. Of course I missed how he made it so shiney though icon_rolleyes.gif I think it might be the steamer. I know when I make gumpaste flowers, i steam the petals to set the color. If I hold it too long, the petal gets super shiney so I think he made the top of gumpaste and over steamed it.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:24am
post #8 of 21

I thought you brush on gel icing to make the fondant shiny.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:27am
post #9 of 21

I saw Buddy using a steamer, not sure why though. I loved his wedding cake, it was so elegant and his poker table cake was fantastic!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:53am
post #10 of 21

I saw Buddy use a steamer in a different challenge and it was to make it easier for him to attach fondant pieces to the cake without having to brush each piece individually.

Jeaucl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeaucl Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 21

I was wondering what he was doing with the steamer, that makes sense, that decorations would stick better, good idea.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 21

shineyness can come from steam, brushing with alcohol, crisco (although it doesnt last i dont *think*) or using confectioners glaze.
xx

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 21

You could always try sending Buddy a PM. He's a recent CC member...mostly to let people know that the decorators aren't always portrayed accurately on the challenges. (Imagine that...FN going for drama at the expense of accuracy?!) He seems incredibly approachable, so you could give a PM a try.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 21

Oh yes, I learned a lot about those challenges thanks to Buddy! (And that famous people have feelings too icon_redface.gif ).

I prefer to mix piping gel with vodka. It gives it shine and it dries without being sticky.

Confectioners glaze smells like varnish and if you you drip it on your work area it's a pain in the butt to get off. Crisco or cooking spray will eventually soak into the fondant. Steam is a fast way to make an entire cake shine.

You can also mix food color with vodka to paint on color that dries without being sticky.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #15 of 21

Will have to invest in a steamer now...LOL! Makes perfect sence!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 21

Can someone please post a link to some of Buddy's threads where he discusses the FN challenges? I'd really like to read them.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:53pm
post #18 of 21

Thanks for posting the link. I think I started reading the thread but must have stopped before Buddy started posting.

It was really interesting, but all I could think about when reading his posts was the other thread on "paragraphical -ness"
icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:23pm
post #19 of 21

LOL!! I know.... mixed in with punctuational-ness icon_lol.gif

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar wishes

I missed that part, I should rewind and see what he said. But I have heard that if you brush the cake with vodka, it will give a really shiny look!

ive used vodka and it does give it a nice glossy effect.
im not sure if you can tell from the photos though
LL

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKIA6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar wishes

ive used vodka and it does give it a nice glossy effect.
im not sure if you can tell from the photos though

I can tell, it has a nice shine to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%