Ganache Not Thickening

Decorating By lauriekailee Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 6:08am by CIApastrychef

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 3

help! I am trying to make a ganache to use as a filling for my cake, and the ganache isn't thickening! I used equal amounts 35% cream and great quality milk chocolate. It has been in the fridge and freezer, and I can't get it to solidify enough to spread it: it is still pourable (thicker, but pourable.) I'm not concerned with what I did wrong, (no point in looking back) I need to know how to fix it? I have no more milk chocolate left. Can I whip it and add some icing sugar?

HELP!!!!

Laurie

2 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 3

What do you mean by 35% cream?

The recipe I use calls for heavy or whipping cream 1cup, 2T butter, 2T sugar, bring to just boil pour over 12oz chocolate.

At room temp it should thicken.

You could try whipping it but I'm afraid if you didn't use heavy/whipping cream, it will not thicken or whip up for you. I think the cream you used is probably the problem.

Edit to add, yes you can try beating it in your mixer and add some PS, of course it will be a different taste from reg. ganache.

Good luck.
Deb

CIApastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIApastrychef Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:08am
post #3 of 3

You can make ganache with simply just heavy cream and chocolate.

Ganache ratios:

Soft (pourable) ganache: 2 parts cream: 1 part chocolate
Medium ganache: 1:1 ratio
Hard ganache (for truffles): 1:2

this is just a simple ratio that a lot of ganaches are based off of...see if it helps

Heat the cream just to boil, then pour over chocolate, let sit for 1 minute, then stir to combine. If you let the ganache sit for like 30 seconds and then go back to stir it (do this about 5 times), all the little chips of chocolate should disappear.
-Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%