Introducing Myself

Decorating By jdconcc Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 9:52pm by jdconcc

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 17

Hi everyone

I just wanted to say how much I love this website, I'm completely addicted! I should be working right now but look where I am.. opps. This is my first post but I've been lurking for about a week or so now. My name is Claire and I've got a small business working from home in Yorkshire, making and decorating cakes and cookies.

I've just signed up for my first wedding fair in March and am supposed to be doing my dummy cakes right now but am getting really peeved with the polystyrene dummys that keep moving around when I'm trying to smooth them.

I've uploaded a couple of my pics but have had trouble with the others so I'll perserve. If you want to see them in the meantime go to www.justdarlingcakes.co.uk. Please ignore the two awful wedding cakes on this site, I made them when I first started and I think I've improved quite a lot in the last six months so hopefully these will turn out a lot better.

Right better get back to work.
xxx

16 replies
Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 17

Welcome to you JustDarling!!! I've spent many an hour when I should have been doing other things, looking at the work of all of these talented and wonderful people on CC. So glad you're here, can't wait to see your creations!

Paula

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 17

Welcome to CC, Claire!! Now that you found this site you will find yourself quite often saying, "I should be doing this...." but instead your fingers are clicking away on CC!!!
Best Wishes!!
~Jaime

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 17

Hi there JustDarling & welcome to Cake Central! I'm another one that's addicted to Cake Central...I love it! I only decorate cakes as a hobby for my family...but I do enjoy it!

AnotherBrit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherBrit Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 17

Welcome. You will have so much fun on this site. Just like the warning on the top left hand corner, it IS very addictive!!

Enjoy.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 17

Hello and welcome JustDarling!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 17

Welcome to CC, Claire/JustDarling ! I believe we should all at some point be doing something other then being on CC ! But this is way better ! Yes it IS very addictive!! Enjoy!

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 17

Welcome! I say that like I've been around for awhile, but in reality I"ve only been here for 11 days, and I already feel like a part of the family.

They aren't kidding, JustDarling, at the top of the page when they say "WARNING! This website is highly addicitve!" I (for now) just decorate as a hobby for family and friends. And I am really not good at it...YET! But I look forward to now having your work to look at as well for inspiration!

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 17

Welcome to Cake Central Addicts Annonymous, my name is Jennifer and I have a serious problem, but that's okay, so does everybody else on this site!

I think you'll find everyone here very helpful! There are MANY talented decorators to gain knowledge from, I do everytime I log on!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:23pm
post #10 of 17

Welcome, JustDarling! You'll love it here. The people (excluding me!!) here are truly sugar artists....and very nice people, as well (not excluding me, ha!)

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 17

Hi nice to meet you -

Stop chasing those dummies around. tape them to the table or turn table before you drop the fondant! --

niknipscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niknipscakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 17

Hi claire, and welcome just be warned not only is this site addictive prepare yourself for the impending dreams.......of cakes, I have only been on here for a few weeks and now fully addicted and loving my addiction, i'm from the uk down in the midlands. Only been cake decorating for 6 months and learning all the time.......I see your prices on your website do you get many orders for your cakes When I quote for a cake I get bargained down so much, as i'm new I want all the orders I can get but because I ask for £40- £50 for a cake ppl look at me gone out. Be good to hear roughly how many cake orders you taking? My last cake which is the High school musical cake in my gallery was for twins and I quoted £60 because of all the work and materials involved , I got bargained down to £50, but it was worth way more than that. I feel sometimes that i'm working for pennies once the material costs have been taken out.
Anyway welcome to cc.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 17

Welcome Welcome Welcome! icon_biggrin.gifImageImage

There are some very talented Wedding Cake decorators here! There are also some awesome threads and discussions regarding wedding cakes in the Forums.

Here are some links for the Newbies you might find helpful: icon_biggrin.gif
Acronyms:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-2926-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Comments for cakes:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-423993-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Cake Construction:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

You may see "SPS" threads, discussion. This is the Sticky for it if you wish for your wedding cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 17

hi claire-it's nice tomeet you. like amie202 said use double sided tape to keep those dummies to stay put... look forward to seeing your work (and actually my dh is waiting for me to help move furniture lol) better go icon_smile.gif

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:09pm
post #15 of 17

Hi- I just looked at your cakes and I think you are a wonderful decorator! I love your use of color and your cakes have a refined, elegant look. keep it up- this site is amazing and seems to have answers for every question plus amazing inspiration!

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #16 of 17

Welcome to CC. Now that you've found it, you'll never leave.

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 17

Hello

You're all sooo nice!

to Amie202 and michelle's arts, thanks so much you made me giggle and realise how difficult I made it for myself, but now after a few glasses of wine it doesn't seem so bad, in fact the picture of me chasing dummies round the kichen is making me laugh icon_smile.gif

To Niknipscakes, hello fellow brit! I've got to admit I'm awful at asking for money, and that's why I priced things on my website so people have a rough idea before they ask. I do things slightly cheaper for good friends, for example the Hermione fairy cake I only charged £40 instead of about £55/£60 I think it was worth. When I first started decorating about 5 years agoI really found it hard to take money from friends, so when I started an 'official business' about 6 months ago the prices were one of the first things I sorted out and it makes me a bit more comfortable. I don't think I'll ever be rich but I love doing it so much it's my sanity at the moment. I've got two little girls and do 9 hours at Tesco so I only do the cakes at night but one day... I've got dreams of somthing like Charm City Cakes, but hey who hasn't!

Thanks again everyone
Love Cxxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%