Black Fondant

Decorating By misserica Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm by misserica

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 7

I know there has been a million posts about this but I can not find them. I need black fondant and I have had more than my share of bad experiences with MMF (I do not have a stand mixer and my hand held KitchenAid cant seem to handle it). I need black fondant so where do I start, do I doctor an MMF and cross my fingers and hope the KitchenAid will work or can I buy a tub/brick of black fondant somewhere? Sorry I know this has been covered on here already but any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 7

When I need black fondant, I usually use the regular Wilton brand of premade fondant and gradually work a pot of their black food coloring gel into it. It takes some time but it comes out well. It also helps if you can mix in the colors a few days a head and let the color settle (or whatever it does) you get a darker color - this is true with red too I have found. I don't have any cake supply shops near me, so I have to make do with Wilton products - can't offer any insight on any other brands sorry!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 7

When I need true black fondant, I always use Satin Ice. If you want a muted tone, you can always add white a bit at a time. Satin Ice tastes MUCH better than Wilton too. I never use Wilton unless I am doing sculptures that no one will eat anyway.

HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 7

To make black fondant I always use MMF and never use a mixer for it. Just melt the marshmellows in the microwave and after they are melted stir in several tablespoons of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. You will see from that you will not need to add much color to make it black. After the base is black just add powdered sugar until you get the right consistency of fondant. I just knead in the powered sugar on the countertop by hand. HTH!!

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 7

If you want to use less black food coloring (since it takes alot!!!) start with chocolate fondant. You can make your own chocolate fondant by working modeling chocolate into regular fondant. Once its a medium shade of brown you can start to work in the black food coloring.

However, I'm usually in a pinch so I usually use black Satin Ice too.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 7

For black I buy it. I can never get a true black color with my fondant.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 7

I think I am going to order Satin Ice since a lot of people on CC recommend it and you all turn out beautiful cakes, plus I have a few cakes I am going to be doing that warrant me purchasing the tub. I hate wilton too but I tend to use it for decoration and leave a really nice layer of buttercream on my cakes so you do not have to eat the yucky wilton. I actually do not like the taste of fondant but I can not ice a cake with buttercream and be satisfied with the way it turns out and I just like the way it looks so much better, JMHO. I will post pictures of the cakes when I am done...thanks for all the replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%