When You Say "macaroni"......?

Lounge By indydebi Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 1:39am by pastryjen

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 43

Hubby and I have a long standing joke-argument between us. One night for dinner, one of the dishes I made was "macaroni". Plain macaroni with butter on it (we had other stuff too). He asks whats for dinner and I say "macaroni". When dinner is ready, he gets all bent out of shape because it's plain macaroni. "Where's the cheese?!"

I say, "I didnt' SAY we were having macaroni AND CHEESE! I said we were having MACARONI!!!"

Tonight: I'm having left over chili and I like macaroni in my chili. He doesn't. So I make it on the side and daughter and I add the macaroni to our chili .. he has plain chili. So he gets all pumped and says "You're making macaroni?" I said, "For my chili." He gets droopy and pitiful and says, 'Oh'.

I said, "I didn't SAY 'and cheese'." He said, "We've already established that EVERYONE who says 'macaroni' means "and cheese" except for you."

I said, "I am going to survey that RIGHT now!" and I pick up my laptop.

He laughs and says, "you are NOT putting that on the cake site, are you?"

So it's in your hands gang. When you say macaroni ... do you ALWAYS mean "and cheese"?

(Yeah ... we have no life ... this IS what we argue about! My 16 year old keeps saying, "God, you two are so OLD!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

42 replies
ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 43

I'm with you IndyDebi. Unless I say "and cheese" it could mean anything. I guess I'm in the "no life" category too. BTW I love macaroni with tomato sauce, butter and parmesan cheese (my mom used to make it for me).

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 43

No way, man! Macaroni w/o cheese is just plain ol' boring, run-o-the mill pasta!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 43

Yeah, lol, I always mean mac and cheese, however I never knew that macaroni also means plain old pasta to many Italians. If you hear them say they're making macaroni and gravy for dinner they really mean pasta and tomato sauce!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 43

Macaroni without a mention of cheese is naked pasta. Mention the cheese with it and it's macaroni and cheese, duh! Tell your husband that EVERYBODY knows that!

I asked my daughter, who's ten, and she said "doesn't he know that 'Macaroni' does not mean 'Macaroni and cheese?' " And she advises him not to assume things, too! icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 43

I don't use the word macaroni to indicate pasta without cheese most of the time. Mostly probably because I don't often cook plain macaroni.

My children and husband love the crappy Kraft powdered mix and they dislike real mac and cheese so I don't get that often.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 43

LMAO This is too funny. I LOVE macaroni with butter and I make it all the time, and my boyfriend always complains "wheres the cheese??" LoL. By both of our stories, I think its only the men who think that macaroni always means "with cheese" hehehe j/k.

(I've never had macaroni with chili, it sounds soooo yummy, I'm gonna have to try it!!! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 43

I'm reading these to hubby and I'm cracking up! costumeczar, give your daughter a big hug for me .. she's gonna be a GOOD wife someday! icon_biggrin.gif

So now he's making fun of me by saying, "So if someone orders a cake, do they assume there's icing on it? Do they have to say "Cake with Icing? Huh? How about THAT?"

Isn't is amazing the lengths they'll go to when they are losing the argument? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:04am
post #9 of 43

My daughter said to tell you that she's not getting married, she doesn't like boys. icon_rolleyes.gif

My husband would come up with the same cake-icing argument, though!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:17am
post #10 of 43

He sounds like my husband! One time we went out to eat and he ordered this "Cajun Fettuccine" dish which I thought was strange, because it has a tomato sauce which he hates. So when he sees it he's all confused giving the "WTH is this?" face.

He saw the word "fettuccine" and thought only Afredo sauce came with that, lol.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:30am
post #11 of 43

Sorry Indy.... I have to differ with you on this one. I would assume "and cheese" too

indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

He saw the word "fettuccine" and thought only Afredo sauce came with that, lol.

icon_lol.gif I read this to hubby and he says, "Yeah .... I can understand his confusion!"

God luv 'em ... they can't help it. They're men. icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #13 of 43

Sorry, Mr. indy, when we say macaroni we mean macaroni. It's the shape of the pasta not the name of the dish. KWIM?

Men icon_rolleyes.gif My husband and his lovely family call every shape of pasta "shells" icon_confused.gif Yea, they're very weird.

edit to correct the spelling of Mr....I originally had My, it's been a long week icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:13am
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Sorry, My. indy, when we say macaroni we mean macaroni. It's the shape of the pasta not the name of the dish. KWIM?

Yeah, I do. Growing up, the only "pasta" we had was the elbow macaroni. When my mom bought the shell-shaped kind, man, we thought we were eatin' high off the hog with "fancy" macaroni! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But we never assumed it had cheese on it! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:22am
post #15 of 43

I don't think I ever say just "macaroni"
It's either macaroni and cheese or pasta.

Course now I could really go for a bowl of mac n cheese icon_smile.gif

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:38am
post #16 of 43

Indy when I was a kid gowing up in Charleston,SC we had mac and cheese the real kind. I didn't know that kraft made mac n' cheese until I was about 16 and had it at a friends house. Let me tell you I didn't like it and whenever someone says mac n' cheese I say is it the real kind or fake.

I here macaroni and I think of pasta , any kind. I worked with only men and mostly Italian for almost 20 years. They always said macaroni for every kind of pasta.

Tell hubby macaroni is w/o cheese. Don't make me come over there and wire him up and then shock him until he gets it.

My son only likes pasta with butter when I make it. When anyone else makes it he'll eat it any way he can get.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #17 of 43

We always say mac & cheese. I have never just made macaroni noodles. I do, however, LOVE me some plain old buttered noodles, though I use the egg noodles instead of macaroni.

What a refreshing, light-hearted topic for a change. Thanks, Indy!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #18 of 43

Sorry indydebi, I just say macaroni!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:22am
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Sorry Indy.... I have to differ with you on this one. I would assume "and cheese" too

I agree!

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:47am
post #20 of 43

NO...if were having macaroni and cheese....that's what I say.

Sounds like yours argues just like mine. And sounds like you both have fun while doing it icon_wink.gif

lisad1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisad1 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:03pm
post #21 of 43

Guess it all depends on what good old mom called it growing up... icon_wink.gif
mac and cheese was one thing, but macaroni in our house always meant a quick spaghetti sauce with elbow macaroni.

costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm
post #22 of 43

lisad---What the HECK is that cake in your avatar? Wait, is it that weird little kids show that's on now? Uhhh,,, Yo Gabba Gabba? I pulled that one out of my butt, I don't know how I know that?

Anyway, when my husband came home last night I asked him the macaroni question, adn he agreed with the men that macaroni indicates macaroni and cheese. Maybe it is a gender thing, or maybe it's just wishful thinking on their part.

Electriccook--My best friend didn't know that there was real macaroni and cheese until she was in college! One of our roommates was talking about her mother making the best mac and cheese, and my friend was confused because she thought there was only one brand! She thought that the roommate's mother was adding some special ingredients to the boxed stuff or something. You can't blame her mom, though, she had 8 kids and I'd just be opening a box too if I was feeding that many.

lisad1 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:02pm
post #23 of 43

costumeczar - that weird little thing in my avatar, is my cake entry in the halloween contest. icon_redface.gificon_razz.gif

What it is supposed to be, is a witch jack in the box. It wasn't based on anything specific, I had bought a Halloween decoration that had a pumkin jack in the box. I used that idea for my cake, but I created the witch on my own. So it's definitely not based on any character in a kids cartoon. icon_rolleyes.gif Oh well, they can't all be winners

summernoelle Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:32pm
post #24 of 43

Lisa-Don't listen to that nonsense. It is adorable!!!

lisad1 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:03pm
post #25 of 43

summernoelle - thanks for the compliment! I didn't take any offense to the question though...they just wanted to know what the heck it was icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #26 of 43

I think it's funny, I just didn't know what it was. The face on the witch looks like the face on this weird character on yo-gabba-gabba (if you see the show, you'll know why I keep calling it "weird.") My kids turn the sound off on it and make up their own dialogue to amuse themselves because it's so bizarre. I like it the picture of the cake, actually, I just didn't recognize what it was supposed to be.

summernoelle Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:13pm
post #27 of 43

You are lucky your kids turn the sound off on it. Oh my, the sound can drive you crazy. I hate that show!

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm
post #28 of 43

Growing up "macaroni" meant with cheese unless mom said "macaroni and tomatoes" (a dish she loved and we tolerated). Now if I try to serve macaroni without cheese sauce, my husband calls it "nekkid noodles". So... I guess I have to side with IndyDaddy.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #29 of 43

When I say macaroni, I make macaroni and cheese. I have never thought about making macaroni w/o cheese as a side dish. Noodles are just a vehicle to get cheese/marinara/alfredo sauce into you mouth.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:23pm
post #30 of 43

jammjenks said:

Quote:
Quote:

When I say macaroni, I make macaroni and cheese. I have never thought about making macaroni w/o cheese as a side dish. Noodles are just a vehicle to get cheese/marinara/alfredo sauce into you mouth.

I totally agree!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%