Need Help Quick! Fondant Not Working Right!

Decorating By Classylady8288 Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 3:47pm by minicuppie

Classylady8288 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classylady8288 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 12

Ok so everytime Ive used fondant i've always bought the store stuff. But im in the middle of a cake. and trying to make mmf for the first time and something is terribly wrong!

i use mm and powdered sugar, gradually adding it in just like the receipe said.

But now its all chunky. Its not sticking like the wilton stuff.
Its breaking apart and I can roll it it just breaks.

What do I do??!!

And the color isnt blending in it either!

Gah!

Someone please help!

11 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 12

you have made a bad batch...sorryicon_sad.gif I think you have to start again???

But just as an FYI...MMF is always had to get the colors consitant...if you need a dark color, then try to add the gel colors after you have melted the marshmellows...when they are still warm...that helps some...

Classylady8288 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 12

SAD FACE!!!

How did I make a bad batch?
How do I NOT do that again?

Is there ANYWAY I can fix it?
Anyway at all?

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 12

is that all you used was mm and ps? if so you are missing a few things. what was your exact recipe?

Classylady8288 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 12

The receipe was 16oz of mm fluff and 6-8 of confectionate sugar.

I was supose to gradually add the sugar.
Mixing it then eventually kneeding it.

I did all that.
I can kneed it. but if i stick my finger straight thru it it will just crumble.

I can kind of roll it out but I really dont think Im going to be able to stretch it over the cake.

Can i fix it?

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 12

Did you just make it? I believe you are supposed to let it sit overnight or at least a few hours before using it. As for the lumps, I can't help you. I don't really make MMF so I can really only offer a BUMP. icon_smile.gif

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:43am
post #7 of 12

Hi,

I make MMF for all my cakes. First take a deep breath, and we can see what happened. I use a recipe from here,
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-reply-616870.html and I have also followed the article showing how to make it.

This recipe calls for a little bit of water as you melt the marshmallows. I also add my flavorings, almond extract and clear vanilla. The I use my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook and mix about a pound of the sugar in. After I get that incorporated, I pour it out on my counter and with my powdered sugar, fondant mixture, and shortening. And work in the sugar until I get a good consistency, as the recipe said you don't use all the powdered sugar. I use the shortening on my hands as I knead it all together. You can warm it in the microwave, if it starts to get cool, just be sure not to put in too much sugar.

When about the consistency of playdough, sorry best I can think of, I coat it with shortening. Wrap in plastic and let it rest overnight, but if I don't have time, I give it a couple of hours. When I ready to use it, I just warm it bit, knead with my hand covered with shortening. (And follow the directions from my Sugar Shack DVD called "Flawless Fondant."www.sugaredproductions.com ).

If you fondant turns out too dry, add a little corn syrup. If that still doesn't help, maybe through out and start over.

When I add color, I use a little at a time. Warm the fondant first, then knead in your color, adjust to get it the shade you want.

I hope that helps, some people really like MMF, while other us Michele Foster recipe. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html I haven't tried it myself, but have heard many good reviews from those who do.

Happy Baking, Sandi

Classylady8288 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #8 of 12

Thank all of you for the help.
I kept trying to work it and make it not crumbly...but nothing help icon_sad.gif

The little part of the cake I even tried to go ahead and cover just to see..and it didnt work.

So now..Im off to the store. lol. icon_smile.gif
Fondant by the box is whats going to have to work.

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:35am
post #9 of 12

I worked with the Wilton box stuff for awhile, it helped me with how fondant was supposed to feel. You could always try something like Satin Ice or Fondx until you are more comfortable making your own. It took me a while to get enough confidence to actually make my own. Good luck on your cake and maybe later you can give MMF another try. Happy Baking!

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:59am
post #10 of 12

I don't work with fondant very much because my family and most everybody I do a cake for likes buttercream. I have made MMF but I always make small batches. I use the recipe of 1 TB of water, 1 Cup mini marshmallows and 3 to 4 cups of ps. I also add my color to the melted marshmallows before I add the ps. I put the melted marshmallows in my KA mixer and add 1 cup of ps. I mix that and then turn that out on my counter and add the rest of the sugar a little at a time. If I need more fondant I make the small batches and add them together. I do let it rest before I use it. I think some times it just doesn't work right. I also use crisco on my hands and knead in some if the mmf seems a little dry. By keeping it in small bathches, I am able to control the dryness a little better. You can also add color to the small batches much easier than a large batch. Again you can then add the batches together and add more color if you need a darker color. I don't like the taste of Wilton's fondant but I have used Fondx and like that taste.

Classylady8288 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 12

Hello everyone!
I just want to say thankyou again for all the help.
I ended up having so many unexpected problems with the cake that it completely did not turn out how I expected icon_sad.gif
But considering all that went wrong I think it did end up looking pretty good.

Here's a pic for everyone to see!
Thanks again for everything! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 12

Great job....only one thing I would do different...change that logo to ASTROS! lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%