Best Pastry Bag/ Decorating Bag

Decorating By Leah1204 Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm by sahrow

Leah1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leah1204 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:48am
post #1 of 17

I am fairly new to cake decorating and I was just wondering, which brand of pastry/decorating bag everyone thought was the best. I'm sorry if this is a repost but I searched and couldn't find anything on this subject. Thanks.

16 replies
CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 17

Hi Leah, Welcome icon_biggrin.gif I personally like KeeSeal bags... I hate clean ups and these are very strong, and disposable.... thumbs_up.gif
http://www.keeseal.com/

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:54am
post #3 of 17

Well, I use the wilton throw away ones because I can get them with a 40% off coupon. I recently tried the kee seal bags and I really like them but they are expensive. I only use parchment when I am using a small amount of color that wont need t be refilled. I do not like the ones you have to wash.
Happy caking!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:55am
post #4 of 17

I think it is a matter of preference and cost. I started off using the plastic disposable. When I took a class, the instructor made us use the paper ones that you have to have PhD to fold properly, stand on one foot and squint one eye to fold properly. I almost had a melt down working with it. She said she was too cheap to buy the plastic ones and wanted us to see our other options. I would pawn everything in my house before I would use the paper disposable ones. I like my plastic ones. You will get many opinions on this post.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:01am
post #5 of 17

Most of the time I use the Wilton plastic disposable ones but I love to use the parchment paper bags. I have mastered putting them together in seconds! lol. For me, I feel like I have so much more control with the paper ones. I use the plastic for anything that need a larger amount of icing.
I hate the reusable ones. They're expensive too. ddaigle is right, you will get a lot of different opinions, everyone has their own preference.

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 17

You know... I totally forgot about parchment paper bags... icon_surprised.gif I love them too for small jobs working with buttercream; and all work done with royal icing or chocolate.. After teaching Wilton classes for 15 years, I can fold them in my sleep.. icon_lol.gif

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:08am
post #7 of 17

I guess I'm "odd person out" so far!! I actually like the Wilton featherweight. Yes, they're more expensive, but I've been using the same bags for years and years. I like how they feel and I don't get "blow outs" in the bags if I'm piping a stiffer icing. I like the plastic disposable 2nd, and the parchment last. I think it's definitely what you get used to. I recommend you try them all!

Leah1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leah1204 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks so much for all your help, I start my first Wilton course on Sunday. I will keep all your helpful hints in mind when I go do my shopping. Thanks so much!!!

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 17

I like the Wilton featherweight, as a PP stated: no blowouts. I have been recently purchasing the Ateco bags and those are wonderful!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 17

j-pal: you're not the only "odd person out" as I really like the featherweight ones too. I like the control that I have and the fact that I'm not throwing more plastic into the landfill.

Leah1204: if you find out that you like the featherweights you could buy a lot of them on ebay sometime. I've purchased them for as little as $2 each and with no problems getting them into Canada! Good luck with your course!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 17

I LOVE the BakeryCraft bags, they are awesome!! The Wilton Featherweight bags are good too, but watch out for the cheaper Wilton bags. I bought some at Wal-Mart, not sure what they said but they're horrible.
I also keep the disaposable ones handy. I tend to put off washing my regular bags and sometimes I have to use the disaposable ones. icon_redface.gif

On that note, anyone else have problems with Ateco tips? I hate those things!!! icon_mad.gif They all rust after a few uses. The BakeryCraft an Wilton ones rarely ever do.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 17

CakesbyLJ .......I checked out the keeseal site and they have free samples! Here's the link if anyone wants it.

http://www.keeseal.com/keeseal.pdf

Thanks for posting!
Chippi

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:00pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

CakesbyLJ .......I checked out the keeseal site and they have free samples! Here's the link if anyone wants it.

http://www.keeseal.com/keeseal.pdf

Thanks for posting!
Chippi

You're welcome Chippi! icon_biggrin.gif I use both sizes.. regular and the large, for icing the cake.. I have never had a seam burst, and I have been using them for years..

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #14 of 17

Actually, that's a keeseal bag I'm using in my signature down there .. It just keeps going and going, like the energizer bunny... icon_lol.gif
<sorry, I couldn't resist> icon_lol.gif I seriously need to get to work on my cake for today... icon_wink.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #15 of 17

Good Luck on your cake .......your cakes look amazing! Post it if you have a chance would love to see it!

Chippi

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 17

Ihave found though, that learning to fold up a teeny tiny parchment triangle helps immensely when piping very small details....where a big bulky bag would get in the way. Allows you to do it with one hand, and is steadier.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #17 of 17

I never used a parchment bag until wilton class 3... I never took class 1 or 2. The instructor had to show me how to make the darn things. *UGH* I used 1- that day- for the whole class time. The rest of the time I used teh featherweight or pro bags wilton makes. I use these up to about a 12 inch bag.

For large amounts of frosting, I like the plastic coated Ateco ones. They are thick and feel a bit bulky until you get used to them. I use these for larger cakes with larger borders and the bag would need refilled often- I hate refilling bags! These can be popped into the dishwasher, too!

I don't like the wilton plastic ones at all. I have some, but will probably never use them unless every bag I have bursts and I have no parchment. The plastic ones feel like they are bulging in my hand every time I squeeze.

I do use parchment bags now and then if, and only if I'm using a small amount (like red for a tongue... or a little bit o piping or something like that) and I don't need a tip.

I think I'll have to try the keeseal bags... that trial looks like a good deal, even with shipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%