On-Line Cake Decorating Class..

Decorating By Terri05 Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 1:47pm by Rhonda19

Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 34

Has anyone taken the on-line cake decorating course through www.universalclass.com? I was wondering if it was worth the time and money. I am new to cake decorating and I am wanting to improve my basic skills as well as learn new techniques. Thanks for responding.

33 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 34

I haven't ever taken in from this site, but I have taken numerous online courses.

I'm not sure what you're trying to learn, but I think there are so many YouTube videos out there I would try there first. YouTube is free and many of the talented decoraters here have videos uploaded there.

Good Luck thumbs_up.gif Katie

Terri05 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 34

Thanks...I have been viewing the youtube videos but they always stop when I want just a little more information. What on-line courses have you taken that you could recommend?

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 34

Hi Terri,

You might want to look into some of the DVDs and Videos that are around. There are some great ones that aren't too expensive.

Hazel

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 34

i looked into it... i think that there may be some merit into it.. and if you want a certificate that you can put in your office.. then go for it... its not that expensive...

lesley

Terri05 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:47am
post #6 of 34

Thanks, I think I will give it a try. If nothing else, I am sure I can pick up some pointers.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:06am
post #7 of 34

you should check out yummyarts.com

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:23am
post #8 of 34

I agree Yummy Arts educates you very well

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:49am
post #9 of 34

I am trying Yummy arts right now!! They are offering a free DVD and free 1 month subscription to their site, but you do have to pay $6.95 for shipping and handling for the DVD.

I " was " a little dissapointed in the DVD though. It had about 10 minutes on cake decorating, and the rest of it was a sales pitch for their website. The cake decorating part was how to make a pearl border, how to make buttercream roses, then how to finish off the top/sides of the wedding cake.

It went fast and I was dissapointed because I thought it would be a little longer.

Terri05 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:57am
post #10 of 34

Thats what I was worried about, some kind of bait and switch video. I am very new to cake decorating and have been reading books, going on line to all the free videos and articles that I can find. CC has been the greatest help to me. I am trying to hone my skills just for personal expression and creativity. I know that there are easier proven ways of doing things, I am taking the trial and error method and it is getting expensive and frustrating.

If anyone has been happy with a DVD or on-line instruction, please let me know so that I don't waste money or time.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #11 of 34

Interesting...

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:14am
post #12 of 34

I bought the DVD's made by Sharon Zambito. They are well worth it. She doesn't leave any steps out.

Terri05 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 7:28am
post #13 of 34

Thanks, I will look for her DVDs.

Rhonda19 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:54pm
post #14 of 34

I am going to look for the DVD's by Sharon Zambito as well. I am like
"Terri05" , I am a " self-taught " decorator. I do have a couple of Wilton DVD's ...but I can't decide if I really like them or not!! (LOL)

Cake Central is the best Cake decorating website I have ever run across. I did enroll in another website, who shall remain nameless, and it was horrible!! Nobody ever wrote you back!!! Here, " everyone " writes you back!!!

tastyart Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 34

I'm self-taught also. You should read the spotlight on indydebi. She is self-taught too and her work is beautiful. It's vey encouraging.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 34

Terri05, you can find info on Sharon's DVD's here:

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

Rhonda19 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:48pm
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I'm self-taught also. You should read the spotlight on indydebi. She is self-taught too and her work is beautiful. It's vey encouraging.

Where is that located at?? I am not computer savy!! (LOL)

tastyart Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #18 of 34

Upper right hand corner of the screen.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:23pm
post #19 of 34

Sharon's DVDs are the best you can get (especially for beginners). Everything is step by step and you can't beat the price.

Terri05 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:44pm
post #20 of 34

Thanks Susie53, I just visited the site and loved the demo video. I just ordered here Buttercream DVD and Fondant DVD. Now I just have to wait for Snail Mail. Very excited!!

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda19

I am trying Yummy arts right now!! They are offering a free DVD and free 1 month subscription to their site, but you do have to pay $6.95 for shipping and handling for the DVD.

I " was " a little dissapointed in the DVD though. It had about 10 minutes on cake decorating, and the rest of it was a sales pitch for their website. The cake decorating part was how to make a pearl border, how to make buttercream roses, then how to finish off the top/sides of the wedding cake.

It went fast and I was dissapointed because I thought it would be a little longer.

that is a short 15 min video, but did you check out the other stuff in the library icon_wink.gif

its freaky friday, im gonna buy the mardi gras video 2 day

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:13am
post #23 of 34

awesome! I can't wait to check out your youtube videos!

Rhonda19 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:33pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda19

that is a short 15 min video, but did you check out the other stuff in the library icon_wink.gif

its freaky friday, im gonna buy the mardi gras video 2 day

I didn't get a chance too! When I complained about the DVD because I thought I was sent the wrong one, customer service cancelled my account!!! I was devasted! I wrote them back and said I did not tell them I wanted my account cancelled. CS wrote back and said that since I was not satisfied with the DVD that they thought I wanted my account cancelled. I am trying to get re-instated, but don't know the answers yet!

Terri05 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm
post #25 of 34

Hi Serious Cakes, I just watched all your videos....great by the way! I had a question on the brush embrodery heart cake. What receipe did you use for the buttercream, was it the receipe on your other video? And was your paint brush dry or wet when you pulled the outline? Also, I noticed you added light cornsyrup instead of more cream to your frosting. Can you tell me the benefits?

Thanks!!!

SeriousCakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #26 of 34

Hi Terri05, it is the same recipe as the video and the light corn syrup helps to add some elasticity to the frosting. I used a dry brush for my brush embroidery icon_biggrin.gif

tastyart Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:34pm
post #27 of 34

I've been watching some of your videos also, serious cakes. Now I'm dying to go pipe some flowers!

jsclar03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsclar03 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #28 of 34

Great videos serious-cakes! What made you start piping flowers directly on the cake?

SeriousCakes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:04am
post #29 of 34

Hmmm, I think it was the first time I saw a cake from this site:
http://www.cupcakecafe-nyc.com/
I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else but someone had said they piped everything right on the cakes. I thought it sounded cool so I started practicing and have been at it ever since! icon_biggrin.gif

Terri05 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:38am
post #30 of 34

Thanks seriouscakes, everyday I am learning more from this site!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%