Has Anyone Ever Made These And How Much Did You Charge?

Business By Trixyinaz Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 12:17am by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 11

A buddy of mine wnats to get his wife a cake...she's running in a marathon. He liked this pic (sorry, have no idea who the decorator is) of the shoes. I'll most likely be quoting him an 8 inch square cake, but have no idea what to charge for these shoes...I've never done anything like those and have no idea how much time is involved. Anyone???
LL

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:39am
post #2 of 11

I think I would charge $100 for those plus the cake.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:55am
post #3 of 11

Do you know that if the cake itself is only 8" then the shoes won't be more than 4 or 5 inches?

Why not try making some GP shoes instead of a mini carved cake?

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Do you know that if the cake itself is only 8" then the shoes won't be more than 4 or 5 inches?

Why not try making some GP shoes instead of a mini carved cake?

good catch...i like the idea of making them out of gumpaste since, IMO, it would be easier *and* she can save them. on a side note, you know what would be really neat and relatively easy? making a metal out of gumpaste. i did something similair years ago, made my own mold out of gumpaste with a real metal, let it dry, then painted it with copper luster dust. never took a picture of it (darn) but it was really neat. just a thought...

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 11

Well yah gum paste or fondant for sure especially at that size. Maybe wrap it around a sausage of rice krispie treats. Her question is how much? I think $100 what do you think about the price to charge?

And it's not so much the time. It's the custom designing aspect...

Twice

Trixyinaz Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 11

Thanks ladies! Yes, I should have said that I was going to be making the shoes out of gumpaste to fit an 8" cake. My bad! I almost wish they were bigger...as much as I love detail, working on small things that are detailed like that give me headaches icon_lol.gif Not to mention I have fat fingers.

Thanks K8Memphis. He just ordered the 8" round from me (he said to keep it under $100). It's all buttercream, including the filling so 24 slices at $2.5 = $60, plus $30 for the shoes (they'll be pretty small - apprx. 5" in length). Do you think that is fair?

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #7 of 11

No but I mean it's not my order.

I mean that's $15 for each shoe. We would spit on a fluffy bow for fifteen dollars. But we would do two custom made identical shoes for the same price?

No I don't think it's fair. Do you?

I mean that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I mean I might do one regular then the other one underneath it or obscured in some way like upside down to save me from doing all that detail again.

How about one shoe and one bunch of crumpled paper like the mate was under the paper. One shoe with little wings on it for Godsspeed to her or something.

One shoe for $30, not a pair. All white.

What do you think?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:28pm
post #8 of 11

Well, since you already told him that you would keep it under $100, it kind of seems like you has to go with it. Next time, you will have a better idea of what to charge. Don't forget to post a pic!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

How about one shoe and one bunch of crumpled paper like the mate was under the paper. One shoe with little wings on it for Godsspeed to her or something.

One shoe for $30, not a pair. All white.

What do you think?

Like I meant the paper from a shoe box.

In fact I would have suggested cutting the 8" cake in half and stacking it up--taking a rose tube and running a 'box lid' around the base of it to give it a shoe box feel and put one shoe with the 'paper'. Might use some phyllo dough for the 'paper'. Easy peasy and time efficient, it's more in line with a hundred dollar cake.

Now for this price I would not go all out on the box and a million details. But I could still make a cool cake.

Or forget all that--I think ^^ that should be $150. To get this more in the $100 range I thind I'd incorporate her number as a runner. They all have tags pinned to their backs with thier number on them--their race number. So I think I'd make one of those easy peasy and have a shoe sole and the toe of the other shoe peaking out from under.

Or use the winners banner--y'know the one they have strung across the road and the first runner breaks through it. That would be fun and easy too with shoes peeking out from under like she won or something.

I mean if dude wants a pair of shoes he's gotta pay for 'em I think.

I mean this is your order and I'm just tossing out ideas to get it more in line with his price range. Just like a brainstorming thing for next time someone wants something they can't afford.

That way it's a little more in line with his price range.

Trying to think outside the (shoe) box thoughts for you. icon_biggrin.gif

So just some sculpture-y pricing thoughts for you.

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 11

Yep, that's way too cheap. You're selling yourself short. I have no room to gripe at you for doing it though....I do it all the time. Why do we have so much trouble charging what we're worth? Why do we agree to do these AWESOME cakes for next to nothing? Our skills and time are SO much more valuable that that!!! AHHHHHHH!!!! If only I could take my own advice! icon_cry.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:17am
post #11 of 11

Thanks again! Here is a link to the cake...http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1310042.html.

My gift to them was the surfboard (I was so proud of her running in that marathon and completing it, I just had to throw in a gift from me) . That was the actual medal that all the runners received so I duplicated it with fondant and a chocolate transfer. They were very happy with the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%