Smooth Frosting While Piping Butter Cream.

Decorating By sknnypggy Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm by aggiechef

sknnypggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sknnypggy Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 11

I was doing the basket weave on my cake, First timer, and my fosting was not smooth...it was kind of cracking, and didn't have the professional looking finish i was hoping for. In fact, I have a problem with all my piping tequniques. I thought i had thinned out my frosting enough (wilton recipe) and I was wondering how come it is not coming out smooth.

I when I am finishing my frosing, I put my kitchaid on a med high setting. too much air? should i put it on a really low settng? should I ditch the wilton recipe and use a different recipe?
thanks guys!

10 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 11

ditch it!!! try italian meringue buttercream. It's so good!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 11

Meringue buttercreams will be much smoother (and tastier!), but if you want to stick with the Wilton "buttercream" make sure you are sifting the powdered sugar and try adding some corn syrup. It sounds like the icing is too stiff (you probably have it at a greast consistency for roses) for the work you trying to do.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 11

what do you mean by "not smooth"? Basketweave usually uses a ridged tip and isn't smooth. icon_confused.gif

I mix my BC on low, med and high, for short and for long periods. The longer I mix it, the smoother it gets.

sknnypggy Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 11

what i mean by not smooth is that when i pipe the basket weave, the ridges, are cracked looking.

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 11

Oh, I understand now! Sorry 'bout that confusion! icon_redface.gif

sknnypggy Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 11

Its all good!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 11

I seem to have the same problem. I'm not sure if I'm using the right consistency for the basketweave. I'm always afraid to make it too thin for fear that it won't stick to the sides of the cake.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 11

Sounds like it's too stiff. Try indydebi's recipe, you'll love it!

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

I seem to have the same problem. I'm not sure if I'm using the right consistency for the basketweave. I'm always afraid to make it too thin for fear that it won't stick to the sides of the cake.

Do you crumb coat first? I've done it bare-caked and crumb-coated. It sticks to crumb-coated much better. (I do a LOT of basketweaves).

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 11

I have that same problem with with the Wilton recipe "buttercream" so I used mostly fondant on my cakes.

stephaniescakesnj - do you have a particular recipe that you use?
I want to change recipes so that I can start doing better buttercream cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%