Cake Fillings

Baking By something_sweet Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm by __Jamie__

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 9

I have a customer who wants a Strawberry Mousse cake filling for her wedding cake, but I am concerned because the only recipes I have found have heavy cream in them, and I am assuming they would have to be refridgerated, but I don't have the space to refridgerate the cakes.

So I was just thinking, I don't offer mousses, bavarian fillings, or ganache as filling options right now because of the refridgeration issue. Can anyone tell me for sure if any or all of these have to be kept in the refridgerater once the cake is filled?

I have also heard that you should not refridgerate fondant cakes due to condensation, how do you handle this when the cakes have a filling that needs to be refridgerated?

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone has any recipes or mixes that you buy that are shelf stable?

Thanks in advance, I know that is a lot of questions!

8 replies
alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 9

mmmmmm I've crumb coated mine and but them in the frig. over night. Then I take them out and decorate. They have been left out for up to 6 hours at a time and when it was time to cut they were still chilled on the inside. Havent had a problem yet.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 9

Sweetest thing, I am wondering the same thing!!! I just posted something similar. I almost always work in mmf so I dont use refrigerated fillings either and was searching for a vanilla filling other than buttercream. Found a recipe for a marshmallow filling but that is it so far. I found wiltons recipe for pastry cream filling and it doesnt say anything about refrigerating it but it has heavy ccream so I wasnt sure. I also cant refrigerate mine because of space and they are often filled the day before the event so 6hours wouldnt help me. Hope someone has a great suggestion!!!

something_sweet Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 9

Exactly, mine are filled at least 24 hours before. I hope someone can help us with this, because I don't know what to do!

something_sweet Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 9

Can any one answer any of these questions for me, please?

333mas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
333mas Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 9

i have been making cakes for my kids since i was 20. over the the years i ended up making better results in decorating the cakes, but what i cant manage to figure out is how do i get my cakes to be even ? I have the wiltons pans but all the cakes i bake end up uneven can someone please help me?

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 9

Basically, fillings that need to be refrigerated are not an option for fondant cakes. If a customer is dead set on a refrigeration needed filling, they need to suck it up and get a buttercream cake, or vice versa, suck it up and get a non-refrigeration needed filling.

Here is a recipe. Maybe you could use Bettercreme opposed to the whipping cream. I'm pretty sure Sam's Club and Gordon's Food Service sell it.

1 pint strawberries, hulled
1 (3 ounce) package of strawberry gelatin
1 pint whipping cream
Directions

Puree strawberries in blender. Place strawberries into measuring cup and add enough water to make 1 1/2 cups. Place in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add gelatin. Turn into small bowl until almost set. Whip whipping cream and fold into strawberry mixture. Refrigerate until set

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 9

Do you have a Smart&Final or other store (perhaps ask a Sma's Club bakery department) for Bettercreme or Frostin Pride?

They are non-dairy whipped toppings that, once prepared, are shelf safe for 5 days in a cool environment. You beat them like whipped cream. I add cheesecake pudding mix and flavorings, and even raspeberry jam.

If you can find some near you, it's really good. Whip in dry pudding mix and strawberry jam! It would be just like a mousse.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 9

Fondant covered cakes can go in the fridge. There is absolutely, positively nothing wrong with doing this, and it doesn't hurt anything. The problems occur when panicky decorators, upon seeing the condensation form on the cake after taking it out of fridge, try to mop it up, wipe it away, all sorts of things. All you have to do is leave it alone for awhile, and the condensation goes away. Good as new.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%