Need To Make A Laptop Computer Cake - Help!

Decorating By jrcakedesign Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 11:34pm by jrcakedesign

jrcakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrcakedesign Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 6

So I have been asked to do a laptop computer cake and I am unsure on how to connect the screen to the keyboard base and keeping it upright on its own. Also, what materials would be best to create the laptop screen out of? Gumpaste? Or some other material with fondant covering it?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!

5 replies
shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 6

First I would like to say Welcome! I see ur a newbie
hummm.......I would make the the flip up part out of s.foam and the screen out of candy melts. I made a wii once and the candies gave me the best look. plus it is strong enough to stand up better. I would attach the screen to the cake board w/ dowels .
I am sure someone else will have a better idea. the ppl on here are awesome!!!

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 6

I made a laptop about a year ago. For the screen I got a piece of styrofoam and covered it in realy thinly rolled fondant. Then I stuck 2 dowls up through the bottom of the screen and attached it to the foam board that the laptopcake was attached to.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 6

I did one last year and attached it like spencersmom did. You can find thin styrofoam in the floral section at the craft store.
Good Luck

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 6

I would also like to add that I used foam board for the actual cake to sit on- makes it easier to push the dowels for the screen through.

jrcakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrcakedesign Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 6

ThANK YOU to everyone who gave suggestions on this laptop cake!! This is JUST what I needed!!! This website is Great! I will be back for sure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%