Single Cupcake Wrapped In Cellophane Bag..anyone Ever Do?

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 10:02pm by cjshoemake

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #1 of 22

Has anyone wrapped a cupcake successfully in a cellphane gusseted bag?

I received an order for 400 Easter cupcakes but the packging alone if I were to buy single cupcake boxes and inserts would be $250.00 .The clear bags will cost me about $80.00.I am charging her $2.00 per cupcake but if I have to spend $250.00 on packaging then I am losing money and I am certain she won't pay for $250.00 cupcake boxes..They need to be individually wrapped because they are being handed out to students at a private school.I have tried in the past to sort of drop the cupcake in the cellophane bag or roll the bag down to set it in but the sides always catch the icing and smears the sides of the bag.I also wouldn't be able to stack them either...oh...Grrrr icon_cry.gif I should have never taken this on! icon_mad.gif

Any suggestions!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Laurel icon_sad.gif

21 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 22

I've done it as an experiment when I worked at the chocolate shop. The humidity in the bag with the cupcake messed up the decoration on it, so we just abandoned the idea. We got the cupcake in the bag fine, though. Perhaps you could leave the top open until right before handing out the cupcakes?

Do you have time to order some sort of clear plastic container? I'm not sure where to direct you for those, but the grocery stores around here sell mini cakes in a tiny plastic lidded container.

Or, could you maybe buy the next size larger gusseted bag, place the cupcake in one of those Wilton oversize cupcake liners, and then put that in the bag to protect the icing?

Sorry, I'm probably not much help, just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Deanna

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks Deanna...The ideas help!! I am trying to do it as low cost as I can but the packaging is proving quite costly!! I have contacted her as to what she wants to do...

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 22
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 22

Thanks Cookieman....I have still be searching.I also have to take in consideration exchange rates and shipping as I am from Canada!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 22

Cookieman,
I am about to place my 1st order through them for the single cupcake holders. Do you use them and do the individual cc holders work well for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman

Check this site out:

http://www.plasticcontainercity.com/Cupcake-Containers-Muffins.htm

brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 22

You would want to use a good crusting buttercream. I had to do 200 turkey cupcakes for Thanksgiving for a bake sale, all were bagged and sold individually. I used the large party sacks to drop them in.
LL

CrazyCatLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCatLady Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 22

Kiddiekakes,
I once made 144 cupcakes that had to be given out individually wrapped. I ended up using those little clear 9oz plastic punch cups that are cupcake-sized and covered the top with Glad Press'n Seal plastic. I even tied curly ribbon around them, but as long as you use Press'n Seal, the plastic will stay on by itself. The cupcakes stayed upright, protected, and could even be stacked. I'm sure the individual cupcake boxes are much better, but this is what I came up with from things I could find at Wal-mart!

Rebeckydaniel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebeckydaniel Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 22

http://www.brpboxshop.com/bakery_boxes/1411.html

This sit will give you a 100 boxes for about $25.00. For 400 boxes it will cost you about $100.00 hope this helps. I used this company- really great service

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 22

I saw this online. Don't know how much shipping will be, but it comes out to 36 dollars for 100 cupcake box with insert (white one)
http://www.creativefoodpackaging.com/takeout/single_cupcake_box___insert.html

Or why can't you buy the drinking cups that are wide and short (I've bought them in BJs store here in U.S) and put the cupcake and put that cup in the plastic bag and bag it. It might work and the decoration will stay put.

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:59am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by korensmommy

Cookieman,
I am about to place my 1st order through them for the single cupcake holders. Do you use them and do the individual cc holders work well for you?

Quote:

Check this site out:

I've never used them myself. I have seen them used and they are very good. Good luck with your order!

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:28am
post #12 of 22

This is awesome. Thank for links. I'm getting so many ideas now.

teenycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenycakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 22

I did a fall bakesale for my daughter's ballet recital and placed my cupcakes in the clear punch cups and then placed them inside the cellophane bags. Everything looked so cute. Here's a picture of the idea I found on the internet. I used decorative ribbon to tie the bags closed, it enhanced the overall look of the package.
LL

Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:19pm
post #14 of 22

Great idea the punch cups ..I think she has decided to buy clear plastic cupcake packages.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:17am
post #15 of 22

teenycakes, that looks gorgeous! how big are those cups? the ones i find here are 3 oz and 9 oz. the one you used is very pretty though.

teenycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenycakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:58pm
post #16 of 22

CupcakeShoppe,

I tried to attach a pic of the bakesale where I used the cups, but I think it's over the max size allowed. I'm not sure if it showed up or not.

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #17 of 22

I have been looking forever on how to package my cupcakes individually without a big cost especially for bigger quantities, thanks teenycakes for the idea!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:25pm
post #18 of 22

i have packed them in cellobags. not the creamy ones though. fondant covered. it is pain... make the little bows with the ribbon etc. cheaper than the boxes though. whatever you choose boxes or bags you wish you had charged separately for packaging. another bad thing with cellobags is the transportation as you cann't really put them on top of each other. so you will need big low boxes to give them away. good luck!

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:25pm
post #19 of 22

Also Thanks to the member who posted the Ebay seller who was selling cases of clear 6pkg cupcake containers.I bought a case of 250 for $14.95 plus $22.00 shipping which came out to $43.00 CAD ...What a steal!!! I couldn't get them for that anywhere online so I lucked out!!!

Gotta Love CC.. we love our deals!

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:

Check this site out:

I love that website! Thanks for sharing!!

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:02pm
post #21 of 22

I am so glad you shared the plasticcontainer site, that is great, I think I'll place an order soon.

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:02pm
post #22 of 22

I know that your problem has already been solved but maybe this will help anyone else who has a dilemma with the bags.

I have to have all of my cupcakes individually wrapped to sell them at a restaurant that I sell out of. I have found that the easiest way to do the cupcakes using the gusseted bags is to chill the cupcakes at least an hour before so the frosting is nice and hard. This allows for easy handling and no mess on the bags. I then label and tie them with pretty ribbons. They actually last for a few days in these bags (being refrigerated when restaurant closes) b/c they don't dry out. The customers love them. I have found no problem with humidity or the decorations on top. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%