Girl Scouts Affected By Pricing ... Hmmmmm!

Lounge By indydebi Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 2:21pm by msladybug

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:18am
post #1 of 23

http://www.yumsugar.com/2727272
their choice was smaller boxes or higher prices.

22 replies
barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #2 of 23

Good thing I ordered like 10 boxes from different girls icon_confused.gif

Barb

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #3 of 23

smaller boxes of girlscout cookies? Oh darn. I'll still buy 'em though. Just too tasty and somehow sentimental

indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:52am
post #4 of 23

Let's not miss this great marketing opportunity folks. When people complain about pricing, we can give a small smile, shake our head, and in a sympathetic voice, say, "I know what you mean ... it's even affected the Girl Scouts. Did you see where THEIR prices went up, too?" (Don't let them argue the price didn't go up ... when the package is smaller, and you are getting less for the same money, then it's a price increase.)

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 23

This is the first year that I didn't order from my neice. I just cannot afford $3.50 a box (and who can order just one). I need a wedding cake order just to support my GS cookie habit.

CakeswLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeswLove Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 23

I saw this last night on the news, the price on flour, eggs, milk and sugar went up, like everything else. Even my favorite ice cream place in town changed their (liquid ice cream mix) and now it tastes greasy. At least the GSC didn't add more water or oil to their mix to get more cookies icon_confused.gif I guess everyone is trying to cope with the economy crisis one way or the other ouch.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:36am
post #7 of 23

I just bought a box of them over the weekend and it was just plain sad. I paid 3.50 for a box of cookies, opened it and saw that there was probably 3 cookies in there. I won't be buying them anymore. I understand everyone is having financial difficulties, but DON'T MESS WITH MY GIRL SCOUT COOKIES! icon_lol.gif I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to make Samoa's myself. Anyone got a recipe??

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:36am
post #8 of 23

Glad this didn't happen when I was preggers. It was the last day of selling them, and the two scouts I ran into at that time sold an entire case of Samoa's to me. Made their day, and kept me from killing anyone for lack of Girl Scout cookies at that time! icon_smile.gif

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellBell22

Glad this didn't happen when I was preggers. It was the last day of selling them, and the two scouts I ran into at that time sold an entire case of Samoa's to me. Made their day, and kept me from killing anyone for lack of Girl Scout cookies at that time! icon_smile.gif

YUm!! I love Samoas! It seems like every couple yrs their prices have been going up, and now theyre giving fewer cookies. icon_cry.gif I dont think itll stop me from buying. When i see those girls sitting outside Walmart with their cookies on the table i cant help but buy at least 4 boxes!!! YUMMY

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 23

I hate to hear this, I had no idea boxes would be smaller, but I realized the price went up. It's my DD first years as a girl scout and she's excited to sell cookies. She hasnt sold many yet but I alone ordered 10 boxes from her. i really wish the troops got more money from the sale too, some of the comments on that article were quoting .36-.50 per box goes to the troop???? icon_confused.gif
thats a shame thumbsdown.gif

but i have seen the same thing in alot of things i buy.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 23

Is it just me or have the cookies themselves also gotten smaller over the years?

So many companies are doing this in hope that the public won't notice. Edy's ice cream, same price, smaller container, Colombo yogurt went from 8 oz to 6 oz, but still charges the 8oz price......and they thought we wouldn't notice icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the article indy..........I'm printing that out and laminating it for all to see.

edit to add.....Does anyone know why they only sell GS cookies once a year as opposed to selling them year round?

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:42pm
post #12 of 23

Marketing.

HOw many of you posted of the 10 and 20 boxes you buy all at once? Would you really buy a box every other week if you could get them all the time? I doubt it. It doesn't make them "special" if they're a common, everyday commodity.

By selling them just once a year, it's like creating a "shortage", sending the message that you have to stock up now 'coz you can't get them later.

And you all fall for it. icon_biggrin.gif

teswade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teswade Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 23

If I am in the grocery store and I see a pack of cookies for $3.50 I would laugh and walk away no matter how good they looked. But then someone comes up to me at work and saids their daughter is selling cookies and I am all over it!!! Of couse I will buy some! Maybe it's cuz they only come out once a year. oh well

Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 23

ImageThis was me when I was told that there aren't anymore Girlscouts in my family. I'd rather eat an Oreo, well maybe not an Oreo, but a NFSC for sure.

Every year I supported my nieces children and bought some and than 2 months later into the trash they go. (usually because one of my kids would open the box take a few and than not close it properly) We just don't eat boxed or packaged cookies, only the good stuff (home made) thumbs_up.gif

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Marketing.

HOw many of you posted of the 10 and 20 boxes you buy all at once? Would you really buy a box every other week if you could get them all the time? I doubt it. It doesn't make them "special" if they're a common, everyday commodity.

By selling them just once a year, it's like creating a "shortage", sending the message that you have to stock up now 'coz you can't get them later.

And you all fall for it. icon_biggrin.gif

As usual Debi has hit the nail on the head! Just like the McRib, if they sold those year round, id probably buy evry six months, but no McD's sells them once a year. Because they only sell them once a year i end up eating them like 2x a week for a whole month. I love my McRibs! OH YEA, as far as the cookie prices, i buy girl scout cookies at that price, and ill pay alot for my Biscotti, other than that, just call me "cheapo!"

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:22pm
post #16 of 23

Ooohh! I found a recipe for the samoas. I think I'm going to have to try them. That way I can have them all year round. Nothing against the girlscouts, but I can't afford the prices anymore. Not when I can make them cheaper myself. Here's the recipe if you want it.

http://onceuponaplate.blogspot.com/2008/10/samoas-girl-scout-cookie-clone.html

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:41am
post #17 of 23

Ok first off I am not posting this to start DRAMA.. But as a Girl Scout Mommy and a former Girl Scout myself.. I wonder if you are missing to Big Picture here. This is a fundraiser for the gilrs.. These Girls are working there butts off to raise money for trips.. And as we all know in this troubling economy it is extremely hard.. My DD goal was to sell 300 boxes of cookies. She only sold 250.. And she only gets a small percentage.. We don't seel school fundraisers because it doesn't go directly to her.. I also raised a Boy Scout who with his money from Popcorn sales was ablr to go White Water rafting.. And without him selling the popcorn he wouldn't have gone.. He had a AWESOME time and a memory that will not fad. Just like my Ski trip I busted my butt off selling cookies some 30 years ago.. I agree they have smaller boxes and smaller cookies, higher prices.. But walk down the isles of Wal-Mart or your local grocery store and look at the decrease of packaging to compensate for a price increase in ingredients.. Yes it has hit Girl Scouts and HARD.. And they delayed it by a year they were going to increase last year but didn't.. But there are true Girl Scout fanatics out there and even if they have to give up that expensive Latte from Starbucks they will do it to support a Scout.. Especially if they were a former scout and know what it was like to earn that trip that made a wonderful memory in your life.. The feeling of earning your own way can NEVER be replaced.. Just like selling your fisrt cake or even giving it away.. Just to know your hard work put a SMILE on someones face it can Never be replaced.. Just like eating that expensive Girl Scout Cookie knowing you created a memory for a little girl.. Ok I will get off my Soap Box.. But Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts deserve a Great Memory that will truelly last a LIFE TIME.. Think of that when you eat that cookie or popcorn.. Dream of White Water Rafting in Wyoming or Skiing down the slopes in Colorado on a Gorgeous Winter Day.. These are the Dreams of these children that can't afford to go unless they sell these things..

kaychristensen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:15am
post #18 of 23

I thought I would also share a few pics of my son's White water rafting trip.. He i now 18.. These were taken when he was aroud 14.. He is the one in the pic with his hand sticking out and the boy in front of him is his best friend they ahve been BFF since diapers.. I just thought I would show you all what you are supporting with the scouts look at there faces and the joy that they are experiencing..
LL
LL

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:27am
post #19 of 23

I'll have to let my husband know in case any Girl Scouts stop by. We only buy the cookies because they are good but if I won't be getting many it isn't worth it.

It won't bother us too much anyway since we don't buy every year.

kaychristensen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:31am
post #20 of 23

But it is worth the memories even though they don't earn alot every cent matters..It is step closer to that tri they want to go to..

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:45am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychristensen

But it is worth the memories even though they don't earn alot every cent matters..It is step closer to that tri they want to go to..

I don't mind giving money to the Girl Scouts but since I don't know any kids in it it really doesn't bother me one way or the other if they go on a trip or not. There aren't even many in our area.

We don't buy anything from the Boy Scouts.

Deb_ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:32pm
post #22 of 23

Love the pics kaychristensen. I was a girl scout some 38 yrs ago, I wish I had a leader that took us on trips like that icon_sad.gif Our leader was an alcoholic (didn't know at the time I was just a kid), the meetings at that time were in her home. Most of the meetings she was laying passed out on her bed, we always thought she was sick, her teenage daughter ran the meetings because her Mom couldn't.

Looking back I cannot believe someone didn't turn this woman in. I guess we were different back then. I remember telling my Mom that this lady is always sick and my Mom used to say, "well she is a nurse and works the over night shift) icon_confused.gif Today, that woman would NOT be a leader, at least I hope not. As I grew up, I learned she did have a drinking problem.

So unfortunately, for me it was not a positive experience. The most exciting thing we ever did was make Rice Krispie's Treats.

Oh well!

I notice they sell the cookies outside super markets now, I'll toss a donation in the box, but my waste line definitely does NOT need cookies!

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:21pm
post #23 of 23

That is sad. They never said anything about this at our cookie meeting.

I just placed our troops order for 2700 boxes. I have to bring all these home to my house and look at them. Very tempting.

As far as the money goes we get anywhere from $.40 - $.55 per box sold. When it's all done I am sure our troop will have sold 3000 boxes. That will give us $1350. i say that's not bad at all and we can do something really special with the girls to reward them for all of their hard work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%