Gumpaste Crown

Decorating By patswifey Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 5:39pm by kakeladi

patswifey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patswifey Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a pillow cake w/ a gumpaste crown for the first time. My cake is currently freezing and my crown is all made... they would like the crown to b silver. I bought silver pearl dust and lemon juice but there isn't a ratio of dust:juice on the back of the box. is there a certain consistency I am looking for when I 'paint' my crown? or do I just add a little pearl dust, paint it , let it dry and see if I want it darker than reapply?
thank you in advance for any help icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 3

Hi, I think instead of lemon juice, if you use clear alcohol or clear extract, the colour would be much nicer. Once I read a post saying the colour wasn't very nice when she used lemon juice. I don't know this for sure but do it on a tiny place and see what the colour looks like.

The consistancy shouldn't be too thick nor too thin. I think it has to be in the middle. You need to do one coat first and let it dry properly and then do the second one. Like that you can do it until you get the desired colour.

HTH.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 3

You definitely need something w/alcohol in it. Extract (lemon, vanilla etc) or vodka or everclear. Lemon juice will NOT work - only make a mess. Sorry. Look thru your cupboard....you probably have some extract. Find the one that has the highest % of alcohol in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%