Hair?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm by indydebi

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 62

So, I'm just wondering what is the most successful method of keeping your hair out of your food? I've never had an issue, but I'm soooo afraid of it!

61 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 62

I actually use 2 of the methods you show...hairnet & bun. But wear my baseball cap with my logo to deliver in.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 62

I also use 2 methods, bandana and bun. lol-I get so worried about it that I do a thorough search on my shirt and make sure there's no stray hairs!
It's funny because I don't take these measures when I'm cooking food for just the family and have never seen a hair but when it comes to an order I go into crazy hygiene mode icon_lol.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 62

I use two methods as well. I use a hairnet and I wear a backwards baseball cap to keep my bangs from falling out. My grandchildren laugh at me when they see this and call me G-MA! LOL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #5 of 62

I've never use any of them. With short hair it is not necessary.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:15am
post #6 of 62

Short hair falls out just like longer hair. Some type of hair restraint is required in all public cooking situations. My staff wears hair nets and my dishwasher (a man) wears a ball cap.

Jibbies

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:29am
post #7 of 62

I use a scrunchie and a bandana. I have medium length hair and hate it when it gets in my face when I am decorating. If it is in a bandana then I am not tempted to touch it when my hands have already been washed and touching food.

I HAVE to check my clothes for hair too. I shed so much sometimes and I would just be disgusted to find my hair anywhere near one of my cakes. I am a spaz and I don't even have my own business. icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #8 of 62

I am hugely paranoid of hair in cake. I have very very long, very very black hair. Not a good combo with cakes. I tie it up, pin any strays, then tie a bandana on my head but I start the bandana before my hairline on my forehead. If I can, I do this when my hair is wet so it wont want to move.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:53am
post #9 of 62

I shed like crazy. Seriously. And I used to think hair wasn't a big deal. Especially if it belonged to somebody I knew... I just didn't *get it*. Then I found one my MY hairs in a test cake that I made. I was so grossed out, I gagged.

Since then, I ALWAYS pull my hair back into a bun and then top it with a baseball cap when I am doing any baking, or if I am cooking for anyone aside from my family.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:55am
post #10 of 62

I put my hair back in a ponytail, then... this is lame... spray it with hairspray. I'm don't want to go through a billion hairnets... so I use the liquid kind. icon_lol.gif It has always worked, keeps my hair out of my face and out of the food. I'm not talking about using a dose of Aquanet like it was the 1980's, but I use some nice Aussie Spray and give it a light but effective all-over spray.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #11 of 62

Actually, my full cake-mode preparation involves putting on a clean shirt, an apron, pulling my hair back, putting a cap on. THEN I wash my hands up to the elbows and begin...

And no, I don't do this all before I cook every meal for my family, but for all cakes and pretty much any baked goods - even those just for my family, I do.

Melvira Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:59am
post #12 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

I shed like crazy. Seriously. And I used to think hair wasn't a big deal. Especially if it belonged to somebody I knew... I just didn't *get it*. Then I found one my MY hairs in a test cake that I made. I was so grossed out, I gagged.

I just have to add to this... several years ago DH and I went to a restaurant and while chewing a bite of 'smashed' potatoes, I pulled about a 12" long black hair out of my mouth (I won't be more graphic than that... though I could! thumbsdown.gif) anyway, I jumped up and threw up on my way to the bathroom, I just couldn't make it, but I tried. That restaurant has since closed. I wonder why...? icon_twisted.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:10am
post #13 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

I just have to add to this... several years ago DH and I went to a restaurant and while chewing a bite of 'smashed' potatoes, I pulled about a 12" long black hair out of my mouth (I won't be more graphic than that... though I could! thumbsdown.gif) anyway, I jumped up and threw up on my way to the bathroom, I just couldn't make it, but I tried. That restaurant has since closed. I wonder why...? icon_twisted.gif

Dang girl...that 'bout made me throw up just reading it.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #14 of 62

Where I work all of the girls have to wear their hair pulled back, a hairnet and a baseball cap or visor. The guys have to wear a baseball cap ...and if they have facial hair they have to wear a net covering their chin. After that rule went into effect all of the guys started growing facial hair because they thought it was funny to wear a net over it.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:25am
post #15 of 62

My hair is dark brown and half way down my calf (very long). I put it up in a bun and then hairspray. So far it has been very effective.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #16 of 62

I pull my hair back in a pony tail and wear a do-rag. Then I take a sticky lint roller and go all over my clothes. You would be surprised at what a difference that makes! Gets any hair or fuzz that might drift off.

Melvira Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:11am
post #17 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Dang girl...that 'bout made me throw up just reading it.

Trust me, that was the edited version... the other version is worse. icon_redface.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #18 of 62

[quote="Melvira"]I put my hair back in a ponytail, then... this is lame... spray it with hairspray.

I do the same thing!! Your not so lame!!! I can't stand mine in my face and I ponytail it, pin up my bangs and hairspray!! It isn't going anywhere!!

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:28am
post #19 of 62

I have hair to my knees (and I'm 6ft tall so that's a lot of hair). I brush it well trying to get out all the loosie goosies. Then I put it up into a bun with clippies. I top it off with hair spray. Then I generally put on clean clothing and have dh ck me out to see if there are strays.

I also make sure to not touch the dog when I am caking (even though he's only 4 lbs and barely has hair). And I keep my children banned from the kitchen. DD1 is bad about sticking her face over whatever someone is working on as well as touching. So she is banned especially after dh found one of her hairs in her birthday cake...lol. Thankfully it wasn't someone elses cake.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:32pm
post #20 of 62

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who is paranoid about hair, etc in other people's food. I have shoulder length hair- put it in a 1/2 pulled through pony, then clip back the sides, just incase and spray with Aussie. I think I'm going to start wearing bandana's though.

My throat litterally closes up when I think about eating hair. I've found hair in food in resturants too many times to the point I only eat at 2 places, where I know the owners well.
~ I found "13" red hairs in a pizza once (before going vegan), needless to say that pushed me along. AFTER I'd eaten some... ICK!!!
~ before going veggie I found hair in BK french fries (black, curly) and the next time I was paranoid so I opened the bun... WELL there was more hair in the burger. Doesn't that sound deliberate??? People are gross.

Sorry about my long story... hair grosses me right out!

Melvira Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:45pm
post #21 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who is paranoid about hair, etc in other people's food. I have shoulder length hair- put it in a 1/2 pulled through pony, then clip back the sides, just incase and spray with Aussie. I think I'm going to start wearing bandana's though.

My throat litterally closes up when I think about eating hair. I've found hair in food in resturants too many times to the point I only eat at 2 places, where I know the owners well.
~ I found "13" red hairs in a pizza once (before going vegan), needless to say that pushed me along. AFTER I'd eaten some... ICK!!!
~ before going veggie I found hair in BK french fries (black, curly) and the next time I was paranoid so I opened the bun... WELL there was more hair in the burger. Doesn't that sound deliberate??? People are gross.

Sorry about my long story... hair grosses me right out!

Oh, girl... you and I could trade war stories about this subject most obviously! And yes... the 'deliberate' part is what ticks me off. I stopped going to a McDonald's in a local town because I found what can only be described as most obviously *pubic* hair on a sandwich, and when I went in to complain, the guys (all white mind you... no one with black curly hair) behind the grill were standing in a pack watching me talk to the manager and LAUGHING OUT LOUD about it!!! And Mr. Manager was like, "Yah, ok, so do you want me to make you a new sandwich?" (There was no, "I'm sorry" or anything!! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif ) I actually yelled, "Are you f-ing kidding me?" And seriously, I don't use that kind of language in a professional situation normally... that's how upset I was, because it was the SECOND time it had happened. It happend a while earlier and we avoided that place for quite a while, then decided to give them a second chance, and the SAME exact thing happened! But the grill guys were most obviously adding this as a special condiment, and seeing who'd notice or something. And apparently that was just OK with the manager. I am tempted to write a letter to the main owner of the restaurant but I don't remember the manager's name, and I probably wouldn't recognize him if I went in there. thumbsdown.gif Mistake on my part to not have written it down at the time and let him know I was going to do that. Normally that's exactly what I'd have done, but I was so livid I was out of my mind.

I'm sorry if I've grossed anyone out... I hope I didn't take it too far by 'sharing' that tidbit. icon_redface.gif (Thank goodness we didn't bite into the sandwich in either of those situations!)

Melvira Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm
post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsheik

I do the same thing!! Your not so lame!!!

Thank you! That makes me feel better! icon_lol.gif

And, Butterflyjuju... 6 feet tall with hair to your knees... I am writhing in envy! I had hair that long when I was in Junior high, then in a stroke of brilliance had it cut. The girl almost wouldn't do it. She brushed it for nearly an hour trying to talk me out of it. Then she took the first snip and my eyes started welling up and she started bawling!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:58pm
post #23 of 62

I grab mine in a bun or a pony tail.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:02am
post #24 of 62

I have pretty short hair, but it's annoying in my face so I normally pin it back. I have found that washing and brushing my hair well keeps me from shedding pretty much all day. Not to sound gross, but it's unfortunate that I don't have time to wash every day, 2 kids and a business...

I also have a sticky lint brush and a couple times of day will roll it all over me.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:05am
post #25 of 62

I have shoulder length hair, and I pull mine back in a bun and spray it. I wear a cap too.
I also use a lint roller on myself before I start making anything.
And I scrub my hands to my elbows with a fingernail brush.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #26 of 62

Geez Mel, do you think they do that to all the customers or are they waiting for you? They must have their own little stash of curlies ( and I don't mean fries) just waiting for that moment! It makes you wonder how much of that kind of stuff that we eat and not know it.
Now that I am totally grossed out!
I think that some hairs fall off sleeves and shoulders of clothes, just not the head so that's why I think a lint roller is a good idea.

Melvira Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:01am
post #27 of 62

*snork, guffaw, giggle* Grandma, I hope they weren't just waiting for me, but then again, I also hate to think they were doing it to lots of people!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #28 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I have pretty short hair, but it's annoying in my face so I normally pin it back. I have found that washing and brushing my hair well keeps me from shedding pretty much all day. Not to sound gross, but it's unfortunate that I don't have time to wash every day, 2 kids and a business...

I also have a sticky lint brush and a couple times of day will roll it all over me.

All of us shed an average of 200 body hairs a day, every day. How do I know this, been a hairstylist for more than 25 yrs and studied it. Every head should be in a hairnet, it doesn't matter what length.

Did somebody here actually admit to using Aquanet? icon_eek.gif Worst thing you can put on your hair, if you have to buy drugstore hairspray, at least get a decent one like Pantene. Aquanet should have been banned centuries ago.

Is Crystal Gayle lurking here? I thought I read about someone with hair down to their knees or calf or someplace on the leg. Please, please, take my professional advice here, time to get a nice healthy haircut to the shoulders at least. You'll look 15 yrs. younger and will have fewer headaches from carrying all that around every day. Wow! Ever hear of Locks for Love? You could make a lot of kids or woman that are going through chemo very happy.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:13am
post #29 of 62

this isnt really food related but since we are talking about "curlies" in public, here's a nice image for ya:
I was shopping at a store once and noticed the woman who worked there walked by me in some jeans that were clearly to large for her, no belt and her underwear was showing in back.. yikes but it gets worse....later at the register she was ringing up my purchases and behind the counter they are elevated a little, but pants still low and yeah, you guessed, curlies pokin out the top of her jeans.
I was so grossed out, but really??? who doesnt realize that their pants are this low????

anyways... yeah, I pull mine back in a ponytail/bun very tightly. but i think i'll start hairspraying, thats a good tip. i cant wear a hat cause the bill would get on my nerves.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:17am
post #30 of 62

Thanks for the advice ~ I also knew about the 200 hairs a day thing, but you've given some valuable info. Much appreciated.
I have fewer headaches now that my hair is shorter,
however~ people keep long hair for all sorts of legitamate reasons: religion being a HUGE one... just a thought. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%