Wedding Cake Trends

Decorating By pinklesley1 Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 1:37am by indydebi

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 8

Ok... I am a little freaked out... I have to tape a 2 min segment that will air during a bridal showcase...

I hate cameras... and I dont really know what to talk about..

They say talk about what we do... (That i have down pat)

but then they want us to talk about Wedding cake trends... I cant really come to a clear concept on that one.. we do some very traditional stuff and then some crazy off the wall stuff... I am not sure...

So if there is anyone that is willing to help me out... what trends have you noticed...

please help... i only have until saturday to write it out, memorize it, and practice it so i dont sound like a dork...

did i mention i hate cameras... i would rather stand up and talk about it with out the camera in my face...

ugggg... help please... thanks
sorry so long

7 replies
morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:11am
post #2 of 8

usually if you go to sites like wedding channel and the knot or even martha stewart weddings, they talk about wedding cake trends all of the time. I'll think about some things and post something a little later (but before saturday)

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:16am
post #3 of 8

and I just thought about it, if you google "wedding cake trends for 2009" all sorts of sites and articles pull up. They are saying square and hexagons and the colors of blues and light greens as well as lemon yellows. The classic theme of the year is parisian Chic -- white with chocolate brown or black. HTH

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 8

I think dummy tiers are pretty popular too. Maybe you could do everyone a favor and use the opportunity to educate the public about the use and COST of these. icon_biggrin.gif

Brown paired with any other color under the sun.

Unusual toppers

Sugar flowers

Cake as the centerpieces for the tables

Plateau stands

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 8

(big groan!) I hate the word "trends" when pertaining to wedding cakes. Too many times I would read about "trends" and somewhere in the article was how square cakes were "out" .... but I recently counted mine up and 74% of my weddings are square cakes. So .... just WHEN did they "trend" out? 'Coz I'm still waiting for it to fade. icon_confused.gif

I believe "trends" are whatever the wedding/cake industry is pushing at the moment. Brides are susceptible to "oh everyone is getting that so I will too!" type of thinking ... all they need is someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about to say, "Oh THIS is what everyone is getting!"

I think it will be great is you talk about the myths of wedding cakes instead of the artificially projected "trends".

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:07am
post #6 of 8

thanks yall

i wasnt getting that this was being updated... so just caught up now..

i like what you said debi... i will talk people out of fake cakes and sheet cakes... never really a cost saver..

thanks to everyone who had imput.. will let you know how it went...

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:25am
post #7 of 8

When someone asks me about trends, I just tell them what seems to be popular with the brides who have booked with me. Just about every one of them this year is using brown as one of her colors. Sage green and teal/aqua are getting really popular too. Square is the shape for me right now. Many of my brides are looking for something unique--they don't want a cookie cutter wedding, so I'm trying to surf the net for new ideas and unique takes on things. A lot of brides are going with cupcakes on the guest tables or a cupcake buffet to eliminate needing a cake cutter/confusing cutting guides/relatives complaining about crappy job, etc. Then they just have a small round on the head table to cut for photos and serve to the head table or parents--also eliminates the bride having to get up and walk past all those people in a big, billowy dress. The centerpiece idea is also a time and money saver in the fact that they don't need to purchase or make additional centerpieces that will just end up on a yard sale later. Groom's cakes have never been a big thing in our area, but this year I've had a lot of girls ask about them. Maybe that's a new trend too??

I'm with you on the camera thing. Hope it goes well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:37am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

I just tell them what seems to be popular with the brides who have booked with me. Just about every one of them this year is using brown as one of her colors. Sage green and teal/aqua are getting really popular too. Square is the shape for me right now. Many of my brides are looking for something unique--they don't want a cookie cutter wedding,....

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I love the inconsistencies of brides! They don't want a cookie cutter wedding, but they pick the same colors, styles and designs that everyone else is using! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I love it when I get a bride who says, "Oh we're not tradition people!" I kick back and ask them, "Wearing a white dress? Tuxes? Ceremony in a big church? Friends dressed alike, standing with you? Music? Flowers? Guests? Who bring gifts? Gifts ... Now I KNOW you're into THAT tradition! Now .... how is it that you're not traditional again?" I do it all laughing and everything, and they laugh with me, but they all like to think they're different .... and they're all the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%