How Do I Put Fake Flowers On A Cake?

Decorating By marion123 Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 12:53am by weirkd

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 5

I want to put some fake flowers on a cake, but I did one last week and the color from the fake flowers ran in with the buttercream... YUCK.. So, I have another cake order this weekend and I'm planning on using fake flowers again.. I was thinking about putting some parchment paper over the area I put the fake flowers, so the flowers will cover the parchement paprer and the color wouldn't run... Is that a good idea?? Does anyone have a better way??

Thanks so much

4 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 5

Whether it be fake or real, the flowers should never touch the cake. Especially when your dealing with chemicals and pesticides. Besides changing the color of your buttercream, it could be leaking the chemicals into your cake and make someone sick.
You have several options. A lot of people use straws. Your flowers (on wires) are inserted into these straws and can be held in place with a little RI in them.
Option 2: You can take a cake circle and cover it with BC or fondant and place it on that, also securing them with a little RI.
Option 3: Picks. They make floral picks that you can insert into the cake. Sold in craft stores and cake decorating stores.
Option 4: They actually make other things out of acrylic that you can wire your flowers onto. These are good for toppers that are in shapes like arches, etc.

Hope this helps!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:09am
post #3 of 5

what kind of flowers were these? I've never heard of fake flower coloring running. icon_confused.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:18am
post #4 of 5

Oh they run - especially the dark colors you can rinse real well in cool water several times to get out the excess color. Rinse and blot till comes out clear. I did dark purple and they didn"t change color too much.

Most fresh flowers won't fade....but to be sure. don't place directly on the cake.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:53am
post #5 of 5

I have bought dried flowers and made wreaths and they actually do put dyes in them. My parents house doesnt have airconditioning and one summer this flower spray I had made them actually was dripping the dye on the floor from the humidity! So can you imagine put this on a cake? Yikes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%