Anyone Know Of A Forum..

Business By FlowerGirlMN Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm by Jackie

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:12pm
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleKitten

Personally, I'd love a forum that was related to business - not drama. I know more about members' personal lives than I'd like to.

This is a forum about business. You won't find posts about members doing "laundry" multiple times a day here...

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:16pm
post #32 of 42

I got a nasty pm that started out with "First, I'm not a business owner, I just bake and decorate at home as a hobby. ", then proceeded to rip on me for what was said in teh *business* forum.

This is what I'm talking about! LOL. Yes, a lack of drama would be wonderful. Nirvana, even. Picture it.. a world with no "Just tell me what I want to hear!" and "I'm doing this illegally, but please tell me everything I need to know to compete with the legal bakers in my area!" and mix vs scratch wars. Just business.

Nice, huh?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

I took both of the posts that those were responding to to be overly snarky, so I snarked back.

It is hard for me to believe this thread. icon_sad.gif

Did you start out as a professional? Or like most of us as a hobby or out of necessity. This is an art form and like photography or painting can't be treated like a hard core money making business. Just like anything else if it becomes "work" it is not fun anymore.

If you don't want to be part of a community of bakers - artist - then it is time to move on. Being "snarky" is uncalled for in this business - never mind in the corporate world.

FlowerGirlMN Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm
post #34 of 42

I think the illegals starting wars over "the legals think they are so much better than we are!" is totally unnecessary drama as well. I don't get why those of us with legal businesses are constantly ragged on for expecting people to follow the same laws we do.

FlowerGirlMN Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:23pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

It is hard for me to believe this thread. icon_sad.gif

Did you start out as a professional? Or like most of us as a hobby or out of necessity. This is an art form and like photography or painting can't be treated like a hard core money making business. Just like anything else if it becomes "work" it is not fun anymore.

If you don't want to be part of a community of bakers - artist - then it is time to move on. Being "snarky" is uncalled for in this business - never mind in the corporate world.

you have GOT to be kidding. So you're ok to snark, but I'm not?

And actually, when I was a hobby baker, I was just that. Didn't take a cent for any cake, just brought em to whatever small event I was going to that needed a cake.

When I decided to start a business, I did just that. Started a *business*, with all of what that entails - including obeying the laws.

So yes, if you're talking about business (given that this is the business forum), I DID start out legal.

"Out of necessity" is never justification for breaking any other law, why should it be for the food laws? Or should I just steal a neighbor's car "out of necessity" when my doesn't start?

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #36 of 42

Uh-oh... Tread lightly.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, a lack of drama would be wonderful. Nirvana, even. Picture it.. a world with no "Just tell me what I want to hear!"

Ah, point proven. And had you not been so, to use your very own word, "snarky" in your responses (to posts that were not "what you wanted to hear"), I believe a lack of drama would be just what we would have had. You make this just too easy. icon_wink.gif

FlowerGirlMN Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #38 of 42

Oh, and btw, I'm sure those that have invested tens - or hundreds - of thousands of dollars in their BUSINESSES just *love* to read crap like

"This is an art form and like photography or painting can't be treated like a hard core money making business."

.. in the freaking business forum!

jeepgirl9478 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeepgirl9478 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm
post #39 of 42

I don't think flowergrilMN was trying to start anything here. I think she was simply trying to find out if there is a private forum she would feel more comfortable in. We wouldn't be offended if she asked about a forum for moms to talk about their kids because some of us on here are moms and some are not would we? Well some own buisnesses and some don't. She is just trying to find somewhere she fits in better. I deffinatly don't own a buisness and don't get paid for the cakes I do. I am one of those people she dosn't like snooping around and figuring out how to do cakes on my own cuz now I don't need to hire someone like her.

flowergirl I say create your own forum and invite some of the girls from here to join you. Good Luck!

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

Realistically, if people are answering the post and not even knowing that they're posting in the *business* section, that just sort of highlights the problem that leads me - and many others - to want a *private*, business only forum.

To be fair, this is at least partially an issue of topicality.

Forums and folders at CC are suggestions that are generally ignored.

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #41 of 42

WHOA!

Ok, I am locking this thread. Telling ANYONE to F-off is a one-way ticket to getting kicked off this site permanently.

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm
post #42 of 42

I just wanted to send a quick update to FlowerGirlMN's original question and the point brought up by jeepgirl9478

There are other websites out there that cater to specifically pastry chefs, registered business owners etc, and that are private.

I actually found most of these websites and was unwelcome as a hobbyist newbie, which is one of the main reasons I started cakecentral.com

Because of that, I do not see CC creating any private area just for registered business owners, certified people etc, as those websites exists elsewhere, and that's not really what CC is about.

Also, the definition of registered business owner varies between state, city and federal regulations, and from country to country, and in all honesty I just do not have the time, or patience to stay on top of that and regulate who has access to the private areas.

As a business owner myself and hobby cake decorator, I get the argument from both sides, I really do. And I think its a discussion worth having, but I will not allow members to turn it into personal attacks.

If you feel yourself getting really frustrated and wanting to lash out, I understand but... please please please, walk away, count to 100, have a drink, whatever you need to do, then sit back down at type your response.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%