Cccc #10 - Ooey Gooey Stuffed Cupcakes

Baking By Adrian12 Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 4:37am by JessDesserts

Adrian12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adrian12 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 101

As before, this is the CCCC better known as Cake Central Cupcake Club! New members (like me) are always welcome!

Here is Grandma G's explanation from the first post:

Quote:
Quote:

I thought it would be fun to start a Cupcake Club like Oprah's Book Club and test out different cupcake recipes. The intention of the CCCC is to explore new recipes and techniques.
This is no place for bashing... constructive criticism only. You can say you didn't like a recipe, but say why, and if you have suggestions for 'fixing' that issue. Example: "The flavor was good but the cake was too dry, so I added 1/4 c. more oil and 1 egg." Or something to the effect of, "They came out dry, did anyone else notice that? What did you do to fix it?"
The first time you should follow the recipe as it is given, otherwise you're not truly testing the recipe. Then... if you loved it... you're done. If you felt it could be improved, make your improvements and post what you did.
...Anyone can jump in any time! If the sound of the recipe doesnt appeal to you then try the next one.
Thanks to the ladies on the How about a thread to seriously discuss making cupcakes?????" thread for helping me out with this!
Rules:
1. Have fun!
2. No bashing!
3. Start with original recipe.
4. Give constructive criticism.

Now for the recipe!!! I am definitely interested to hear people's results with this one as it stands, and thereafter any doctoring that may occur (I know many people usually fill their CCs differently, for example)! I'm hoping this isn't a repeat for you all...

Recipe #10 -- Ooey-Gooey Stuffed Cupcakes
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002
Yield: 16 cupcakes
Ingredients
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder (for chocolate cupcakes)
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 large egg, cracked into a small cup or saucer
* 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
* 1/2 cup buttermilk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup hot water
Ooey-Gooey Filling:
* 6 ounces cream cheese
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
* 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
* Chocolate Sauce, recipe follows
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 1 (12-cup) muffin tin with 12 paper muffin-tin liners and place 4 paper muffin-tin liners inside another muffin tin. Add 2 tablespoons of water to each of the paperless muffin wells.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the remaining ingredients, adding the hot water last. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Divide the batter evenly among the paper muffin-tin liners.
In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese with the sugar. Fold in the chocolate chips and coconut. Drop the cream cheese mixture into the center of the cupcakes. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cupcakes rise and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle chocolate sauce over cupcakes when serving.
Chocolate Sauce:
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
In a small, heavy saucepan, bring the cream to a bare simmer over low heat. Place the chocolate pieces in a medium bowl. Add the cream into the chocolate and let sit for 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and whisk until the chocolate melts and the sauce thickens.

ENJOY! icon_smile.gif
...And everyone can go ahead and PM me a number 1-1000 by Feb 4th (unless anyone calls for a longer/shorter time frame) and then we'll move on to #11!

Also, here are the links to the previous CCCCs:
Carrot Cake
Lemon
Tomato, Basil, & Mozza
Peanut Butter Brownie
Meemaw's Peachy Keen CCs
Vanilla Coffee

Cranberry CCs with Maple Cream-Cheese Frosting

Banoffee
Cookies & Cream

100 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 101

Oh yum, this one sounds so good!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 101

Ok - I'm in on this one. Bring on the oo and the goo!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 101

These sound YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 101

Emeril does cupcakes!???? HeHe! These sound tasty!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 101

Yum! I love Ooey-Gooey !!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:07am
post #7 of 101

Ooey and Gooey? Can't wait for this one! This is so much fun!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #8 of 101

BAM !! Hello everyone!!!!!

Ooey & gooey in the title....how can it be bad?!?!?

Count me in!

Jess icon_razz.gif

Adrian12 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:27am
post #9 of 101

Yay! I am so excited to see so many people chiming in already. I bought my ingredients yesterday but I won't have time to bake today, so if anyone gets a chance before I do, let us know how it goes! I am so curious to see how the cream cheese/coconut/chocolate filling turns out and just how ooey gooey are we talking here? Will we need to eat these in the dark? icon_wink.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 101

they sound good, but Ive got a few at home that cant eat coconut (hubby's allergic, & the kids plain dont like it)...any other ideas that might be good as a subsition for the coconut?

GrandmaG Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 101

Since it's just in the filling Chass, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise try some ground almonds. ( I googled substitutions ). icon_smile.gif
I think we can make an exception where allergies are concerned.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 101

I was thinking just to leave it out. But if you wanted, you could add slivered almonds, sliced raisins or more chocolate chips (that's what I'm doing (=....)

pamama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamama Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:18am
post #13 of 101

Yum! Sounds so good- can't wait to try these!

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:40am
post #14 of 101

Wow I sure hope I get a chance to try these. They sound wonderful. icon_biggrin.gif

Adrian12 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:22pm
post #15 of 101

I made these last night, but haven't drizzled the chocolate sauce yet since it says to do that just before serving. They smelled so ridiculously tasty that I had to try one. So good! I'm not sure they look very yummy, but I really enjoyed my bite of ooey gooey goodness. icon_smile.gif Here's how mine ended up looking:
LL

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 101

these sound yummy!! I am going to give them a try to. Might have to also leave out coconut.... family isn't fond of it... even though I love it.

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:48pm
post #17 of 101

Oh They do look yummy ! So were they pretty Ooey gooey then ??

GrandmaG Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:55pm
post #18 of 101

I made these cupcakes. I'm not so hot on them but I never have any luck when I use butter instead of oil in my cakes. I like the filling and always the ganache but the cake came out crumbly. It's not one of those cupcakes that I say that I've got to make again. The combination just didn't work for me especially when I've used much less expensive ingredients and made better cupcakes.
I am experimenting with the gelatin butterflies. I'm not totally happy with this one but it takes a little trial and error so I'll keep working on them.
Photos are the #10 CC's with marshmallow flowers and one with the gelatin butterfly I'm working on. icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

GrandmaG Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #19 of 101

OK here's a better picture of the wings but the RI middle started to fall apart when I moved the wings. Oh well, I need to quit goofing and clean house. icon_sad.gif
LL

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #20 of 101

grandmaG your cupcakes are great! I love the flowers.

You said they're marshamallow flowers? How do you do that? Do the marshmallows already come colored? or do you color them? and then cut and shape them?

If you check back after you clean the house, i'd love to know!!

TIA

Jess

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm
post #21 of 101

grandmaG, they look so good. Love the butterflies. If the CC wasn't good, do you think the filling could be used in another recipie.

GrandmaG Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #22 of 101

I'm still lurking. icon_confused.gif I leave my E-mail on while I'm doing other things and it lets me know! icon_biggrin.gif Those are the mini colored marshmallows. Just flatten on the side of them and cut in threes. I used a skittle for the middle. They work better if you sit them out and let them dry a little bit.

GrandmaG Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm
post #23 of 101

I would use this filling with a different chocolate cupcake recipe and omit the coconut. It's probably just me but I just can't make good cakes unless it's made with oil or a combination of the two. Oh and also I think I would mix filling with Bettercreme or whipped cream to make it not so thick.

GrandmaG Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:47pm
post #24 of 101

Adrian12, it doesn't look like any one else is going to try this recipe. No one has posted for awhile. Do you want to get the "pick a number" process going?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:53pm
post #25 of 101

GrandmaG - that cupcake looked divine. It is sad that I have to wait until a "special" occasion to bake these...DH on diet. Valentine Day is right around the corner YEH!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:11pm
post #26 of 101

I just found this thread...Gramma, I'm wondering what it would taste like with a vanilla/white cake? Also, your flowers are so cute, and where is the gelatin butterfly info? (did I miss that?)

DaCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaCakeDiva Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:27pm
post #27 of 101

May I be in the Cupcake Club? Please Please Please!

fiddlesticks Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm
post #28 of 101

HeavenLeeCakes.. Of course you can be in the cuppy club ! Welcome ! We love to drag new members into our cuppy world!
I hope you come with lots of new recipes and ideas !!!!

GrandmaG Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:52pm
post #29 of 101

This is where I got them.
http://www.cakeconnection.com/gelatin.htm

Bobwonderbuns was talking about them. I have no idea how to get them to look like their picture. Their book isn't coming out until Spring.

This is the thread. Take a look at Bob's butterfly cake picture. Just click on her pictures and find the one with the teal butterflies.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-615137-15.html

Welcome anyone to this cupcake club! The more recipes and buddies we can get the better!

thumbs_up.gif

GrandmaG Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:58pm
post #30 of 101

Oh also I think the filling would be great in vanilla cupcakes! I got thumbs up on the filling. I was hesitant on the cake before I made it. I never put an egg or butter in my chocolate cake recipes unless it's a doctored mix. But I wanted to make it with the original recipe. I keep hoping I will find a good recipe that asks for butter instead of oil but so far haven't found one I like.
On the butteflies; I received the sheet right away. They must be busy though because they said when I paid them if I had any questions to e-mail them and I did and hadn't heard back. Bobwonderbuns helped me out though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%