Which Location To Do Consults?

Business By -K8memphis Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm by cylstrial

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 10

So I did my consult that I previously boo hooed over not having to refuse (whatawus) and the result was that she was budget minded wanting a designer cake. Same old story. But I mean she asked if I used Watkins vanilla because her friend said it was the best. I said I use costco pure vanilla. I said if I use Watkins the price goes up. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm fine with not booking her 'cause she was not inclined to pay for what she wanted. I offered her a nice cake within her budget then priced her dream cake.

<hands cupped around mouth> "Next!!" icon_biggrin.gif

But my husband and my son think that having the consult at work--I manage a church bookstore--was off putting. That having the consults at home would be better. My home is also under my business insurance.

But I'm just asking what you think. I put a sign on the doors that says meeting in progress so we are undisturbed. Thankfully I have a lot of autonomy there.

It's a beautiful store overlooking a lovely inner courtyard through floor to ceiling huge picture windows. The store is not 'churchy' The foyer to get to the store is not 'churchy'. It's beautiful. Do you think having consults in the home is better. I mean this is inside a church but within a store. It's a very pretty facility

Do you feel there's anything off putting about it being in the store as opposed to being in the home? I mean all other things being equal, store versus home. What do you think??

Hey--I'll post some photos too. brb

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 10

Even without seeing the pics, I think the location is fine. If it's a clean place, that looks professional, what difference does it make? I would think nothing of someone telling me, "Since I have to work at the bookstore during the day, let's meet at that office to talk about your wedding."

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 10

While I personally prefer meeting at home because that's where my photo albums, cake plateaus, samples and styrofoam dummies are, (the styro shapes are to build the cake so they can see the size and proportions that they're considering) I don't see why your location should be off-putting unless they were just extremely anti-God. JMPO

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 10

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2738996400054976741lGCqFX?vhost=good-times

This is where you park and enter into the foyer --just a nice building.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2690382780054976741sXBCwU?vhost=good-times

Looking from the bookstore back out across the foyer through the entry doors to the parking lot. ^^^

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2687685570054976741CqThlY?vhost=good-times

I mean this is during construction of the bookstore but this is what the courtyard looks like through the windows--a gorgeous garden. (The hole has long since been all covered up.)

That gives you an idea.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 10

My last consult was at a starbucks coffee shop. There weren't too many people there and it was a nice art deco quet environment. I brought my binder of ideas and examples of my cakes. She wasn't interested in a tasting, just the look of her cake. so I really had no need to bring her into my home.
It's always a mission for me to bring someone to my house.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 10

oh after seeing the pics, tell your hubby he's crazy! There is NOTHING wrong with that location! I'd rather meet there than at a house anyway! What a beautiful setting!

I mean it could have been one of those dusty, hole-in-the-wall, saggy bookshelves, with leaky pipes, like in a Dickens movie bookstores! Now THAT would have been a different story! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 10

Hmm, I'm kinda digging the Dickens effect. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks guys!

I think one of the big reasons I'm delighted to have a nice spot like work to have my business is because I don't have to worry about having the house fixed up.

And frankly I'm happy to not have to look forward to scrambling and picking up other people's stuff so I can make the right impression on my clients.

I know you all know what I mean.

This way my house is our house, not a business.

I can do consults in the courtyard too weather permitting. icon_biggrin.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 10

My vote is for that location that you posted. It looks super nice to me!

I did consults at my home when I got started. I always felt awkward b/c I was living with my parents at the time and my dad was always a jerk and made things difficult. Like he would decide it was a good time to fry chicken 1 hour before or something stupid like that.
Their home is very well kept and nicely decorated though and people always commented how lovely and clean it was...so they had no issues with me being a home baker.

Still....I'm glad I don't do that anymore. I was a huge hassle. I'd rather pack up my materials and take them to a neutral location that deal with the family frazzle.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 10

k8memphis, I do know what you mean. that's why I hate doing consults at home. I have to pick up after the kids constantly, and it doesn't make a good, profesional impression when I am yelling for them to turn down the T.V.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 10

The pictures you posted are gorgeous! If it works out better for you to have it at the bookstore, then do it at the bookstore. Besides.. I wouldn't worry about it being churchy, since most brides are getting married in a church. =o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%