Chocolate

Baking By lotus Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm by lotus

lotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotus Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 5

hi,

I'm trying to make homemade chocolate and I need to know if I have to retemper the remaining chocolate after first use or not?

And my chocolate is not so shiny after it dries out do I make something wrong when tempering? icon_sad.gif

Best

4 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 5

You can check the temper by dipping in a plastic spoon or utensil. If it sets in 2 minutes it is tempered. If the chocolate has set/hardened you will most likely need to temper it again, unless you can melt it with out raising the temperature above 88.

If it doesn't have a shine or sheen then perhaps it may not have been temperered correctly or it could be the quality of chocolate if you've used it previously- At most you can retemper chocolate only 5 or 6 times.

lotus Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:01am
post #3 of 5

Thanx so much,
yeah maybe it's the quality of the choc. Unfortunately there is no choc in here that contains %70 cacao butter. I've added caco butter into the choc while I was melting/tempering.
the first ones were very shiny After I've tempered the chocolate, but this morning they had very small dots on them like water marks, which I can't use them for sale icon_cry.gif
Could it be because of the caco butter I've added or just the quality of the choc???

thnx again
best

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:41am
post #4 of 5

Adding cocoa butter isn't the same as tempering- it's a quicker method to try and stabilize the chocolate. If there are the little dots (bloom) you must have heated it to too high of a temperature.

You could always re-dip the ones you made so that they have a nicer outer layer?

lotus Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 5

ok I will try again and again, thnx so much....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%