Dummy Cake Resuable?

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm by leah_s

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 11

Is it possible to reuse the styrofoam for more than one dummy cake? I really dont have the space to keep a bunch but would rather decorate dummies, take pics, and start over.

Thanks
melia

10 replies
snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 11

I reuse them. Just make sure you take the fondant off soon after or else it will harden and then good luck icon_smile.gif

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 11

Absolutely. The buttercream or fondant may discolor the dummy somewhat but it really shouldn't make any difference.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 11

when i use buttercream to decorate a dummy.... i use press and seal wrap... smooth it really good.. then decorate... sometimes.. the buttercream hardens before i take it off... i just hold it over the trash can... knock off the buttercream.. take off the press and seal.. use it again... when i cover with fondant.... i mist the dummy... some people use crisco to cover then dummy.. then put on their fondant... i have taken off fondant on dummies that i have had covered for a long time. it is hard... i take to trash can.. use heavy knife... knock it off... and use again... i have never had any problems doing this at all. hth

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:21am
post #5 of 11

what icer said ......

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:26am
post #6 of 11

You can also soak the dummy in water and it will loosen all of the hardened BC, fondant, whatevah you used on it.

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:58am
post #7 of 11

yeah, what icer and indydeb said with this exception...I usually wrap my dummies in shrink wrap. That way when it's time to take of the icing/fondant/what have you, I just go to the trash, unwrap and slide it off the dummy. Voila...it's ready to use again.

And before i discovered the shrink wrap, I just scraped off my icing and washed the dummy real good (and carefully so I wouldn't dent it too bad) and let it air dry for about a day to make sure it was nice and dry.

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the tips! Glad to hear I dont have to keep buying dummies just for practice.

Melia

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 11

I know this may be a stupid question, but bear with me for a minute....I'm still a newbie icon_smile.gif

What's the difference between a cake dummy and a regular piece of styrofoam that you get at Hobby Lobby or Michael's?

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 11

Dummies are made in exactly the sizes and shapes that you want for cake decorating. They are actually pretty cheap, although the larger sizes obviously get pricier.

I don't think there's anything special about the styrofoam.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 11

I've found the dummies to be compressed styro. Craft styro is more open and will actually eat its way thru the icing after a little while. A few years ago at our State Fair, someone used craft styro on a dummy and as it sat there, less and less cake icing was showing and more and more of the craft styro.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%