Has Anyone Made The Melted Ice Cream Cake Recipe?

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm by muddpuppy

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 7

I was looking throught the Cake Mix Doctor recipe book and saw a recipe for melted ice cream cake. It sounded so good and so simple...a pint of melted ice cream and 3 eggs to a box of white cake mix. It bragged how all the ingredients in the ice cream made it a great cake. Maybe I did something wrong....or maybe it is the curse of a bundt pan drying out my cakes. I was very unimpressed. I used the Ben & Jerry's ice cream as it recommended. It was just blah.... icon_sad.gif Has anyone made it before?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 7

Yes I love it. Did you measure the melted amount of ice cream to be sure it's a full pint?

ddaigle Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 7

Kate...The only reason I didn't measure the ice cream was because I used the excact amount (1 pint), brand and flavor that the recipe called for...Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia. They said if you didn't use a premium ice cream, you would need more. Maybe I over cooked it. I just expected a more "wow" factor.

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 7

I made it before with the ben & Jerry's chocolate chip cookie dough, and I didn't think it was good either.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #5 of 7

Oh for sure you did say you used the B&G, I was trying to think of any reason it mighta disappointed yah. Yeah, my bad. But yeah, we liked it.

Didja use any icing? I've used it with icing in a tier cake, not as a bundt. Well wait, I've also made those big muffin like cakes with the rose mold where there's 6 rose cavities in the pan. I love that thing.

It's denser than a regular cake and I really like it. I did mostly chocolate or berry flavor cakes and I mighta added some berry flavor too. I used a glaze on the roses.

ddaigle Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 7

I used the icing recipe it called for...kinda fudgey..melting 6 big marshmellows, etc. I did notice it was dense, which I don't mind. I'm gonna give it another whirl in a round cake pan.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 7

I've tried something similar with chocolate cake mix and melted chocolate ice cream, the result was almost brownie like, super firm and pretty yummy... I liked it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%