Tylose Glue Question

Decorating By gerripje Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm by gerripje

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:55am
post #1 of 9

I made some glue with tylose a few weeks ago. I had it in the fridge, then I take it out and put it back etc.....It's been difficult finding time to do anything! How often should I make new stuff and how long will the one I have last? Thanx!

8 replies
sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:13am
post #2 of 9

I use gum glue made with Tylose and do not refrigerate it. It stays good for a couple of months.

You will know it's no good when it has a funky odor and/or some cloudiness to it.

gerripje Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:34am
post #3 of 9

Oh good! This one is still clear and odourless. I haven't hardly had a chance to make anything! I thought it would really suck if I had to dump it out. Thanx!

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 9:10am
post #4 of 9

how do i make gum glue out of tylose? i'll be needing this for attaching fondant and dried RI accents to fondant covered cake....

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimai16

how do i make gum glue out of tylose? i'll be needing this for attaching fondant and dried RI accents to fondant covered cake....

You can make gum glue using tylose by adding about a 1/4 tsp to a few ounces of warm water. For attaching RI accents to fondant, I would to suggest you use RI and not the glue.

Also, I find it more enconomical to take a small ball of extra gumpaste, add to warm water, let it disolve, and it makes a great glue. If you want to speed up the process just zap for a few seconds in the microwave at 50% power.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 9

Nic Lodge advises when you empty a jar of Tylose, just fill it w/water and keep in the frig. Shake well and you have 'instant' gum glueicon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 9

I have found that pouring out a small amount to use for the current project helps the whole batch stay fresh longer. I never dip my brush into the whole container of glue, contaminating it and ultimately shortening its shelf life.

Also, you don't need to make a lot at one time. Just sprinkle a little tylose into a small amount of water and mix it up. Exact measurements aren't really necessary.

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 9

hmmm... thanks everyone for the prompt reply =)

gerripje Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 9

That makes sense to pour a little out when I'm using it. Thanx!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%