Did Norman Davis Just Won Challenge?

Decorating By cakeladyatLA Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 5:06pm by costumeczar

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #31 of 58

The last couple of times I've seen Bronwen she has been getting into the "movement" thing with her cakes. She's broadening her horizons I guess, but, I haven't liked her cakes for a while really.

As a rule I like Jason's cakes, but, for whatever reason he seemed to be having a bad day. And what was wrong with Norman involving the kids? The others didn't really seem interested in them. Let's face it...ANY teenager is high maintenance...LOL He sold his cake didn't he?

Beth in KY

PS With indydebi all the way. All that matters is what the CLIENT wants.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #32 of 58

When I make a cake or cookies for someone, it's no longer 'my cake'. It's 'your cake'. If you don't like it, it's my problem to fix it.

The kids said right at the beginning they didn't want bright colors, and Bronwen's first move was to put bright yellow fondant on the largest tier?! I think she tried to cover it with the fondant shapes, but I'm wondering why she didn't airbrush it when she realized they didn't like it.

A technical problem perhaps? Would it not have had time to dry?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #33 of 58

When they were interviewing Bronwen and she said that she didn't like challenges where the clients choose the winner because "they don't know anything about cake decorating" I just about had a fit. I gave my kids unsolicited lecture # 67 about why cake decorating contests are flawed, because the judges look at the technical side and not the big picture. It's interesting to me that the "best in show" cakes and the "people's choice" cakes in contests are usually not the same ones. Personally, I'd rather see something interesting and fun that's technically slightly off than something technically perfect with no personality.

The pp's who said that the client is the final judge are exactly right, and that's what I was screeching at my kids last night after Bronwen's comment!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 9:55pm
post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I can get the best deal in town but if the salesman is a schmuck, forget it.

I actually use this as part of my sales pitch. I tell them, "If I'm the first person you've sampled, you need to check with at least one other baker/caterer. You're about to spend a lot of money on this event and you want to make sure that you're getting what you want, that fits your style, your theme and your personality. You also want to make sure your vendors match your personality. I may have the best price and the best tasting cake in town but if I'm a real bag to work with, you just don't need that on your wedding day! (then I put on my best Banna-Smile and say in my best southern gramma accent) I hope I've passed that test with you today!" icon_biggrin.gif

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:30am
post #35 of 58

I agree with those who were frustrated by the logo request at the end! It was so unfair of them to ask! I also wish Norman would have left the film reels in. I thought that his original design with the reels made the chocolate curls look like popcorn, and it was such a neat idea! I know the triplets said they didn't like them, but at one point in the show, the narrator (forgot his name!) said that surprise clients change their minds every hour. I wish Norman would have taken a chance on it. I feel like it would have incorporated their interests better, and I bet they would have liked it in the end. And really, what were they expecting when the triplets negated each others "likes"?? I'm a twin, and I'd try to agree with my sister on SOMETHING!! Give the decorators a chance!

I also have a favor to ask regarding the titles to topics like this. I DVRed this last night with the intention of watching it today. (Hubby was watching NFL and ESPN.) I logged on this morning and saw the title in the "Latest Forum Topics". I was disappointed about the spoiler!! I didn't open the thread, but the title was enough to spoil it for me. Please, could we refer to it as "FN Challenge tonight" or something and not give anything away?

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #36 of 58

Yeah, the film reels would have been freaking awesome. I was sad the kids nixed that idea and Norm didn't stick to his guns. Guess that's why he took home 10K though! I thought it was great that he sold himself to the kids. I don't know what was up with Bronwen. She did not look happy throughout the whole challenge whereas she's usually quite bubbly. She seemed annoyed. And Jason was totally PMS'ing. Jeez.

I loved Cindy's cake and Jason's cake. Bronwen's was ugly IMO and Norm's was interesting but kind of boring.

Wish I was a cake judge. LOL I would tell Norm to take Lorraine's classes. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:40am
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklepopz

I was sad the kids nixed that idea and Norm didn't stick to his guns. Guess that's why he took home 10K though!

icon_lol.gif Luv this!

So someone didn't "stick to his guns" and made the cake the client actually wanted ... Hmmmm ... that's a no-brainer on why he took home the $10K, huh? icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:03pm
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

I still think they should have another (non-celebrity) cake decorator be the "client" for one of these challenges. I've never had a cool birthday cake icon_sad.gif

Ditto that! And I would do what my son suggested as we watched the show and the triplets were telling the designers their likes and dislikes: "I'd tell them I HATE fondant. Just to see their reaction."

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:21pm
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Ditto that! And I would do what my son suggested as we watched the show and the triplets were telling the designers their likes and dislikes: "I'd tell them I HATE fondant. Just to see their reaction."

That WOULD be hilarious! icon_lol.gif I'd love to see what they could do with all buttercream.......kinda like tying one of their arms behind their backs, I bet!

Have they ever had an all Buttercream challange?

I'd also like to see them actually MAKE and BAKE the tiers themselves on the show. Including the fillings, icings, fondant etc......Now that's the REAL life of a custom cake maker/decorator. They all seem to just focus on the decorating and not so much on the baking.

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:09pm
post #40 of 58

I love both, Norman and Bronwen, whenever I see them at the same challenge, I don't know which one should win. I agree with some of you, I think Norman could have done much better, IMHP, he is so talented,and also, at the begining he said that he was going to use the movie reels, that he knew more because he was older and the cake artist, I think he meant he could envision the final cake better than the triplets, but his professionalism won against his ego, and it showed when he decided to do what the clients wanted, (no reels), and we saw the result! 10K . Besides he did not say anything bad about any of the other competitors cakes or anything, I really don't like it when they do that.
Now, if Mike would have been there, the name of this thread would be different!

sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:09pm
post #41 of 58

OH AS IF!!!! I'd LOVE to know when any of them made the last cake or filling.... they have kitchen-grunts for that stuff.

Personally I'd love to see an all-buttercream challenge...take on a real bridezilla and see how they handle themselves......now that would be Prime Time TV thumbs_up.gif

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm
post #42 of 58

I would love to see an all buttercream challenge too. That would be so interesting. I would LOVE to see them CLEANING the kitchen after the challenge, well, after they make the cake, the fillings the icing and decorate the cake. Then, clean the kitchen. That would be a real challenge.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:21pm
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladyatLA

I hate it when the clients get to pick the cake because they dont know anything about cakes.

? icon_confused.gif ?

who, exactly, do you think should pick the kids' birthday cake?

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:38pm
post #44 of 58

Yes, lame challenge. I didn't see anything really new.

Whats up with all the "painting" fondant and NOT using an airbrush?

After the simpson's cake challenge and the judges saying (Re: bronwen's cake) its not just about the donut....I kinda lost faith in the judges.

Yes the Cake girls cake was great... but to just throw a comment about the donut.... DOH! Is all I gotta say.

I wanna see BC 3D Animal Challenge.

Don't get me wrong, fondant is hard to perfect, but I can show my mom how to cover a round cake in fondant and add some star cut outs and it would look pretty good!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:42pm
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

[quote="jkalman"
I didn't like Bronwen's cake either... she rubs me the wrong way for some reason. /quote]

Me too......sometimes she can come across like, "I'm Bronwen Weber for crying out loud...how DARE you not LIKE my cake?" I'm sure at least ONE of her clients hasn't liked their cake!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that she annoys. I've not met her but I here she is wonderful in person. To me she comes across lately as the Queen of the Cake Challenges. I've met Norman a couple of times and he is just a wonderful, sweet man. He's had some problems though recently with his cakes on those challenges and glad to see he won.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:15pm
post #46 of 58

I started watching the challenge but didn't get to finish it.

to the OP, next time can you refrain from giving away the ending, kinda ruins it...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:00pm
post #47 of 58

The OP asked a question DID he win?, not hollered He won, he WON!!!
I personally don't think the question was inappropriate, but what would be better for those of you who didn't want to see a name in the title?

adven68 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I personally don't think the question was inappropriate, but what would be better for those of you who didn't want to see a name in the title?

It didn't bother me casue I saw the challenge already, but I can see why it would irk someone who taped it. Maybe something like "I can't believe who just won the challenge on FN..."
?

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:30pm
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

what would be better? ummm, *not* seeing a name in the title...

shannon100 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Quote:

what would be better? ummm, *not* seeing a name in the title...

I agree! Like I suggested on the previous page of this thread, maybe just title it "Food Network Challenge last night" or whatever the challenge name is? There is a thread in the Lounge titled "FNC Birthday Bombshell- what do you think?" That is a GREAT example of what to title these types of posts!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #51 of 58

Whoa! Let's not ruin a perfectly good thread by arguing about what the TITLE should be!!!

adven68 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbear

Whoa! Let's not ruin a perfectly good thread by arguing about what the TITLE should be!!!

I don't think anyone is arguing....it sounds very civil to me...

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm
post #53 of 58

Not trying to ruin the thread, lol, but it seems like most everyone reading this and enjoying it has seen it whereas there are some of us who can't watch the shows live..... and I have to say I was a little peeved to see the mention of a winner (potential or otherwise) in the title......this is the land of TiVo's so I haven't had a chance to watch this yet! icon_sad.gif

What about putting **SPOILER** or something like that instead of mentioning a contestants name? Even on Internet Movie Database (IMDB.com) they will delete posts that give away any part of the movie in the title of the thread. And polite posters (not saying OP is not polite of course, they probably didn't even realize it might spoil the ending for others) will add **SPOILER** to either the title or the very beginning of the message as a courtesy warning to others.

I don't think this is an unreasonable request. I am always careful when signing onto Excite, etc. if I have yet to watch the finale of shows like Survivor or the Amazing Race, since we know they always post the winner but it never occured to me I had to avoid CC prior to watching Challenges, lol. icon_smile.gif

Regardless, I am eager to watch this. I have always loved Bronwein but it sounds like she may be getting ahead of herself. In the overall scheme of things, not that big of a deal but I am wondering maybe why no one has asked to change the title for the thread so as not to potentially 'blow it' for others? Just a thought.......

shannon100 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #54 of 58

I'm not arguing. I'm just asking for no spoilers next time. I really enjoy watching challenges, but I want it to be a surprise. I think dailey and I are just asking for some consideration when people are writing titles to posts like this, so we (and so many others who hadn't watched it yet!!) can watch it without knowing the ending.

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:16pm
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Quote:

I don't think anyone is arguing....it sounds very civil to me...

You're right, it's civil. But we all know how the claws can suddenly come out of nowhere around here icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyhoo, I didn't get into this challenge very much. I don't mind when they bring in clients to pick the winner, but it's a bit much when they have both clients AND judges...perhaps a bit of overkill?

And I agree that the cakes are just starting to get a bit on the ridiculous side. Just make a beautiful cake, and stop trying to do 100 different techniques that don't have anything to do with one another!

adven68 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:08pm
post #56 of 58
Quote:

[ I don't mind when they bring in clients to pick the winner, but it's a bit much when they have both clients AND judges...perhaps a bit of overkill?

You know, that's a very good point. Why on earth did they need Kerry or any other professional there when the decision depended on the kids?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:29am
post #57 of 58

Regarding Cindy's hand painted cake - I actually liked it. Airbrush is perfect and whatnot, but you always see that in these challenges. She was probably trying to standout.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:06pm
post #58 of 58

I liked the hand painted cake too. I didn't see anything wrong with it, and the criticism of it was strange, I thought. You can get a better pearl sheen if you hand paint that on, considering that the airbrushes get clogged with the pearl dust so easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%