Castle Cake?

Decorating By knel Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 10:30pm by Becscakes

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 12

My daughter wants a princess castle cake for her 3rd birthday. I'm "researching" and I would just like some honest input from those of you who have used the kit- if it's "user friendly", worth the money, or if it's better to just make my own turrets and castle design... any and all suggestions, tips, and opinions are always welcome and appreciated!!
Thanks

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 12

I found it very easy to make my own turrets. If you don't care if they are edible use the cardboard tube from plastic wrap or waxpaper etc. Top w/a pointed ice cream cone. HTH

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:01am
post #3 of 12

I have used the kit 2 times (and have to this week as well). The first time was a literal nightmare icon_evil.gif ; however, I was EXTREMELY new to decorating. The 2nd time I was more prepared, just didn't use ALL of the towers. Overall, I think the end result is very pretty. I definitely think they could have come up with a better way for the turrets to attach to the cake. That was, and still is, what drives me crazy about the kit.

With a couple of them under my belt now...I will say that I'm not as terrified of it as I once was. You just have to figure out what way works best for you to attach the turrets to the cake.

Hope this helps.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 12

I thought about purchasing the kit, but in the end I just went with my own design and it was much easier than I thought it would be. I made edible turrets, but it was a HUGE pain the butt and they kept cracking and leaning. Next time I would definitely use cardboard tubes covered in fondant. I didn't have any problem attaching them to the cake, I just carved out a little of the corner, and put royal icing on the cakeboard and a little on the turret and they held fine.

knel Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #5 of 12

will the turrets travel well? I even thought about putting the cake on a large piece of styrofoam and inserting skewers or dowel rods (spaced the diameter of the turrets) to help keep them upright and in place... do you think that would work???

I am also thinking about doing a square castle rather than round, because I think it will serve more people... would that make it easier or harder?

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:20am
post #6 of 12

Hi knel,

I have the set. It was easy to use. You can insert the turrents in the cake or, using royal icing, you could secure them on the cakeboard. I selected to do the second option for my castle cake, and traveled 10 miles without the turrents falling.

Also, I think a square cake would work fine.

Tammy

prcutie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcutie71 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #7 of 12

I just made this for the first time in Jan and would do it again with a few lessons learned. I'm a newbie with no decorating classes under my belt and it was a bit overwhelming. I think the kit is smart but in need of some simple changes...I would think it would be easier than making your own...

1. Plan ahead, it is time consuming so make everything you can ahead of time - I made my flowers and the bc a few days ahead, I learned that I could of iced the turrets (cones) in advance also. That would of saved a TON of time!
2. I had my husband drill holes in the turrets that I used on top of the cake so I could put a dowel through the hole and into the cake for more stability - make sure you place the towers on the top tier not so close to the edge...mine were very top heavy, especially the large one. I would insert the towers at the destination, but that is just me...
3. Be very patient. I spent a lot of time putting everything together. Was VERY time consuming BUT so well worth my lil girls face when she saw it!

Also the kit shows a square cake option, so yes it is a "can do", you can even cover the towers in fondant if you wish...

Good luck, have fun with it!

Mine is in my photos if you'd like to take a look...

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #8 of 12

I just made my DD's castle cake turrets out of ice cream cones dipped in white chocolate and sugar. It's in my pictures. I almost bought the set, but figured I could make it myself just as easy. Plus I read where some people were having problems keeping the turrets standing. I also didn't want to mess with fondant. I'm a BC kind of girl. icon_wink.gif HTH.

knel Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:30am
post #9 of 12

Thanks so much! i'm looking forward to doing this one. I'll post a pic when I'm done!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:53am
post #10 of 12

Good luck!

heartbreaker-cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartbreaker-cakemaker Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 12

I buy styrofoam/polystyrene castles and paint them and fit 'fairy' lights inside.

The castle can be kept as a night light and a nice souvinir from your birthday.

Becscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becscakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 12

i made a castle for my DD's 4th birthday, Made the towers out of cream biscuits and the smaller towers out of pollywaffle chocolate bars. Then used baby icecream cones and larger icecream cones for the tops.
He's a pic
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%