How Do I?

Decorating By 2waystodo Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 12:40am by FromScratch

2waystodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2waystodo Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #1 of 9

Hi, I would like to know how to stablize a four tier wedding cake, to travel a hour away?
Thanks for all your comments and help...

8 replies
sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:01am
post #2 of 9

Dowel with extreme accuracy and chill the cake overnight. Take everything you used to make the cake in case any part of it needs emergency repair, including extra icing. Oh, and pray. I find that prayer helps to calm my nerves during transport. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 9

Invest in the SPS (single plate system).

does it *have* to go completely stacked? I suggest makeing it in 2 pieces. The lower 2 tiers ready to go and the 2 top tiers also ready to go but keep them apart until you get to the venue.

I depends a lot on the tier sizes, the style of cake - & what kind of driver you areicon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 9

SPS.

IF it were me, I would stack two (I travel with two stacked, then place the rest) then place the rest on site.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 9

If you use the SPS.. I'd stack it up and go. I do it all the time.. never had a problem *knocks on wood*. The SPS makes for a VERY sturdy cake. I do 4 tiers all the time.. much bigger and it's hard for lil'ole me to carry alone.. so if I have a 5 tier or a larger 4 tier I will leave off a tier or two (or bring a strong buddy).

2waystodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2waystodo Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks Everyone! great ideas!!!

jkalman I have a question: What is SPS?
White plates, I think i know?

JenniferMI Stacking 2 at a time, I was thinking that..Thanks thumbs_up.gif
I've never had to travel so far before, with this size cake.

sparklepopz Prayer, your right, wouldn't leave home without it...

Thank you, all so much..for the help...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:07am
post #7 of 9

Jen, do you use the SPS system? How do you like it? I've traditionally stuck with dowels (for some reason just looking at the SPS system doesn't strike me with a great deal of confidence to use it.)

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:27am
post #8 of 9

I never transport a cake assembled. I assemble on site. I also use dowels.

Jibbies

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:40am
post #9 of 9

The SPS is the single plate system. It is plastic plates and pillars made by Bakery Crafts. If you are going to assemble on site I highly discourage stacking two tiers at a time and bringing them. It is a lot harder than you think to balance two tiers of cake and place them on top of the other two.

I like being able to go in and drop a cake off without having to assemble it and finish it off with an audience. The SPS gives me the stability I need to be confident that my cake will make it there in one piece. The only thing I don't like is that the pillars are thick.. I would love to invest in the SFS (stress free supports) but they are pricey.. the SPS is nice since I can just build the price into the cake and they don't have to bring it back to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%