Issues With...

Decorating By cakesdivine Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 3:16pm by JenniferMI

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 34

CC! It seems that all they ever have anymore is technical issues with their servers. Today I had a long reply to a forum with 4 attachments. It uploaded all the attachments then when I hit submit AND GOT THE $%*$(& TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES SCREEN ===AARRGGHH! icon_mad.gif

It has been this way ever since I joined this site...for those of you who have been on this site forever has this always been the case? It is quite annoying to say the least. thumbsdown.gif

I am a member of a few sites similar to CC (but they aren't cake related) and I have never ever had this type of issue happen on those other sites. Just wondering if this has always been the norm for this site. icon_sad.gif

33 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:44am
post #2 of 34

No, it has absolutely NOT been the norm. They are going through a lot of growing pains right now, but we're all trying to remain patient until it's worked out. I know sometimes that is really hard to do. I am confident that things will be worked out and back to status quo very soon!

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 34

I have this problem to and can't upload my last two cake photos even though they meet the size standard. Doesn't explain why. Very annoying but understand there must be a reason why.

cakesdivine Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #4 of 34

I do understand growing pains, BUT I have been a member of a forum type site known as Danceart.com since it's inception in 1998. They went from being very lowtech, to the "rockstar status" they have today and have grown, changed asthetics, servers, went from being free to a small fee to be a member, even new owners (here recently) that also again made major changes. The down time for those upgrades was announced and it was done in no time flat, very little disruption in the flow. So I do know it can be done without all this major disruption.

I do hope they get all their kinks worked out soon. I mean...how dare they get us addicted then continually take it away...LOL! icon_smile.gif

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #5 of 34

Despite all the kinks, this is still my favorite site. I have learnt so much from all the CCers. So be a bit patience, this site holds a lot of knowledge that you cannot purchase in a book.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 34

Agree with the above. I found this site after making cakes for 25+ years ... and i have learned more in the last 2 years than I ever did in my first 25 years. This site has so much to offer, so much very VERY valuable information, experiences, ideas and advice ... I'll HAPPILY wait for kinks to be worked out.

Especially when you consider that all of this is offered .... GIVEN ... to us at no cost. I'm very grateful for a place to learn all that I've learned, and a place where I can talk cake with those who really understand.

Please be patient. The payoff is more valuable than you know. thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #7 of 34

I had an interesting issue today and yesterday. When I tried to get on to CC the maintenance screen popped up (this was on my laptop) At the same time I went on my desktop and was able to get onto the site. At the very same time my laptop still couldn't get on.

My DH (a computer guy by profession) suggested that I try to use internet explorer instead of mozilla. Sure enough I can get on without ANY issues using internet explorer, but with mozilla I have TONS of issues.

Tonight he cleaned up the "cookies" on mozilla and it's been a little better. Not sure what the he_ _ "cookies" are, but he's the expert and it worked.

I think they do the best they can considering this site is free and is sooooooo popular. Sure, they could get it perfect, but we'd probably have to pay a subscription to be a part of it. I think they'd like to keep it free to all. We can "donate" though, that may help.

Try using internet explorer if you're not already.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Agree with the above. I found this site after making cakes for 25+ years ... and i have learned more in the last 2 years than I ever did in my first 25 years. This site has so much to offer, so much very VERY valuable information, experiences, ideas and advice ... I'll HAPPILY wait for kinks to be worked out.

Especially when you consider that all of this is offered .... GIVEN ... to us at no cost. I'm very grateful for a place to learn all that I've learned, and a place where I can talk cake with those who really understand.

Please be patient. The payoff is more valuable than you know. thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #9 of 34

Mine has had the slows too....sometimes getting on....but that's OK....I understand, I can only imagine how many of us are on it at once. It is such a safe, informative, friendly site I don't mind the wait.

Melvira Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #10 of 34

'cookies' are little pieces of information about you and your surfing habits that are stored on your machine, providing a sort of 'memory' for pages you visit. They do things like automatically log you in on sites where you are a member, etc.

cakesdivine Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:40am
post #11 of 34

I only use internet explorer, on all 4 of my computers. When this site goes down, I can't get on with any of them.

Oh and I have donated, because I do believe this site is invaluable!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:29pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

'cookies' are little pieces of information about you and your surfing habits that are stored on your machine, providing a sort of 'memory' for pages you visit. They do things like automatically log you in on sites where you are a member, etc.

Melvira, Is there anything you don't know, from cake to "cookies". LOL

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 34

Melvira, thanks for that explanation......you made it very clear. Unlike my DH that had my head spinning when I asked him what he meant by "cookies". icon_confused.gif

edit to add......sorry cakesdivine that the internet explorer tip doesn't work for ya, maybe you should try Mozilla icon_razz.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 34

I just look at it like this... when the site is down, it's God's way of telling me to get other things done: laundry, dinner for the family, etc. icon_lol.gif

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 34

I do realize there have been problems with this site recently but it is a FREE site and i know it costs money to pay for servers and things of that sort so i don't complain. i know they are doing the best they can. I have learned so much from CC and have just learned to be patient and keep checking back when the site is down. any more i don't even get mad when its down i just attribute it to growing pains and go do a search on google and come back in a few minutes and usually it is up in no time.

I LOVE CC!! please dont talk bad about CC.

Melvira Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #16 of 34

You're welcome guys! Anything I can do to help! And yes, sometimes I like to pretend I know it all, but we all know that's not the case. But I do have a web programming degree, so that helps! That was my pre-cake life. (And pre-kids!)

But you know, sometimes people just aren't able to explain things in layman's terms, and some people (I'm not saying your hubby is like this) just like explaining it in a way that makes it more confusing and harder to understand so they seem smarter. It makes them feel better about themselves. I pride myself in being able to speak both languages, 'expert' and 'layman', in many different categories. I am often a 'translator' between people who know something and people who want to know. My husband (Senior programmer/analyst, woo-woo!) is one of those highly intelligent people that has trouble explaining something in an easy to understand way, so I am often translating him for my mom the techno-phobe!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I just look at it like this... when the site is down, it's God's way of telling me to get other things done: laundry, dinner for the family, etc. icon_lol.gif

lololololol....me too!!

Melvira Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

lololololol....me too!!

Amen to that.

cakesdivine Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi1613

I LOVE CC!! please dont talk bad about CC.

UMM... since when is stating facts talking bad about something or someone?

You cannot say that it doesn't irritate you when it is down...let's face it WE ARE ALL CAKECENTRAL JUNKIES!!! icon_lol.gif Take away our fix and we get angry... icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

cakesdivine Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm
post #20 of 34

Mel...in your comment about the hubby computer guy's explaination of cookies in tech terms...That's a MAN thing...LOL! Men always try to make things more complicated than need be...ROFL!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm
post #21 of 34

I agree...while it may be frustrating when it goes down, I keep in mind(and look for with quite a bit of anticipation) the sometimes subtle changes. It's almost like "where's Waldo?"...see if I can find the change.

I'm glad it's here regardless of the temper tantrums I may throw when it's down. No legitimate complaints from me...if I didn't like the FREE site and abundance of FREE info and the collections of FREE photos to look through and the association with some of the best sugar minds on the planet, I reckon I wouldn't have to open this site at all and seek out all the benefits of this site elsewhere...but I won't find it, I'm sure!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #22 of 34

We have to remember that while other message boards like this one, may run faster and not have the same issues, they may also not have the 50 million pictures we have on this site. We may not have that many, but seriously there is alot in the gallery and in the forums.

And from my understand it is the pictures and other things like that, that take up space on the servers and not really all the messages on the boards.

I'm on dail up, so maybe I'm just use to slow times and frustrating things happening on the computer, but I have learned to roll with the punches and just take things as they are.

erc11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erc11 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:58pm
post #23 of 34

I just keep trying to remember that there are so many photos on this site and that is why it must be so slow. I do admit that it is frustrating, but I just deal and come back later.

I have been trying to upload some of my most recent pics - I think I tried like 4 times! But it keeps timing out...

Melvira Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #24 of 34

Yah, the pictures are major resource hogs, that's why they have to put limits on how large they are. If people would stop posting four different pictures of the same cake it would help. I mean, I understand a cake can have several different sides to look at, but that's why you make a collage of them! So it takes up 1/4 as much space! Ok, sorry, not trying to nag anyone. icon_redface.gif

erc11 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:02pm
post #25 of 34

ARGH! And I just tried again to upload pics and it is not working! I am getting so much better and I wanted to show off my most recent cakes!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:06pm
post #26 of 34

ERC11, just to be sure, are they within the size requirements??

erc11 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:09pm
post #27 of 34

Duh.. That must be it! I feel like a tool...

My DH started saving pics in full size since the last time I uploaded pics.

Ok, scratch all my comments about CC! I am the dummy! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:34pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC11

Duh.. That must be it! I feel like a tool...

My DH started saving pics in full size since the last time I uploaded pics.

Ok, scratch all my comments about CC! I am the dummy! icon_lol.gif

Not at all... that may or may not be the prob. Find out if it works before you call yourself names! icon_lol.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:35pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

That is exactly the way I look at it... thumbs_up.gif

erc11 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:55pm
post #30 of 34

Nope, it wasn't my photos! So I am not a tool. Well, not when it comes to this anyway... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%