Twitter? Anyone

Business By gladyk Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 12:26am by Copacabanya

gladyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladyk Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #1 of 8

Curious if anyone uses Twitter during the day to keep up with and broadcast to your customers. I was invited to "follow" one of my customers and feel a little nervous about it.

7 replies
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:47am
post #2 of 8

I've seen this before but I don't get it.

What is twitter? What do you do with it and why do you do it?

I am not up on the latest and coolest online icon_wink.gif

gladyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladyk Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:15am
post #3 of 8

Its basically a way to post what you're doing in "real time" using only 140 characters. Only the people who can see it are those who add you to their list. For example. "I'm on my way to deliver a cake to the Smith wedding..."

Your "followers" can get instant updates as often as you post. Once when there was a gas shortage in my town, people were tweeting the locations of filling stations that had gas, and how long the line was. Kind of instant messaging a whole bunch of friends.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 8

I'd say that if you're going to do that to just have customers who follow you, not put yourself on their follower lists (if it works like that, or is it reciprocal when someone signs up to follow you?) I'm on facebook, and I really don't need to see that my friends are getting ready to order a pizza, or are going to go get coffee, and that's the kind of stupid stuff that people tend to post. If you used it as an advertising thing you could have people follow you, then just send out messages about the business.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 8

Sounds to me like a Blackberry, only worse! LOL! I wouldn't want a bride Twittering at me every 5 minutes wondering where I was with her cake while I was trying to setup another wedding cake - my nerves would be shot, and then I would have to tell her where to put her twitter!! icon_twisted.gif LOL!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I'm on facebook, and I really don't need to see that my friends are getting ready to order a pizza, or are going to go get coffee, and that's the kind of stupid stuff that people tend to post.

Hahaha! My thoughts exactly.

Bob thought the Kung Pao chicken was way better than the mu shu pork.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:08am
post #7 of 8

BELINDA is really wishing the stupid cake woman would hurry up.

Yeah, can't get excited about that as an idea.

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:26am
post #8 of 8

I am absolutely hooked on Twitter. It has proven to be one of the most efficient ways I have to keep in contact with people without worrying about texting costs or things like that. I use it from my computer, from my blackberry, and from my ipod touch. I have seen it used for advertising as well as communications with clients in several industries now with great results. I do think, however, until you've used it yourself it sounds completely useless. I thought so too until I gave it a shot. Obviously it changed my mind! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%