Frosting... Ugh!!! Help Please...

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm by sugarshack

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #1 of 13

So I tried SugarShack's BC the other night & my cake came out GREAT! No crumbs, smooth, just great! My only problem is (and this is something that REALLY bugs me) that I can't get it to look completely smooth like everyone else's. It looks "airy" or something? I posted the picture below... hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. I've tried the Viva method, parchment paper, computer paper, etc. So, anyone have any tips on how to help it?
LL

12 replies
Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 13

I don't know, but your roses look fantastic! Are they Sugarshack's buttercream, too? They look like they're a different consistency. Do you have the same problem with other buttercream recipes? Just wondering.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:27am
post #3 of 13

Have you tried the hot bench scraper sugarshack uses in her DVD? You could also try melvira's roller method (found in the articles on the home page).

patswifey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patswifey Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #4 of 13

I've noticed that my cakes look like that if I try to smooth it before my frosting has crusted enough...I"ll usually let if crust more and then re-smooth my frosting.....
I think the cake looks great, excellent job thumbs_up.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:30am
post #5 of 13

If you have a kitchen aid mixer make sure your using your paddle attachment, Don't mix your icing too long or too fast

lkoenig07 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 13

I actually told my hubby that a bench scraper is my next purchase; just gotta wait til he goes to Home Depot next. I smoothed it as much as I could before I let it crust, and then once it crusted I tried the paper methods & that was the result. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it's definitely frustrating!

Thanks for the tips & compliments! My roses were a different BC (Wilton class BC... I've been using that for awhile & finally decided to switch over)

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:51am
post #7 of 13

I just had the same thing happen to me on my first try with Sugar Shacks bc, I found that you can use alot more pressure to get the air out than you think, try pressing a little harder (after it is crusted good)

fayebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fayebaby Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:54am
post #8 of 13

Before switching to Sam's Club Buttercream, I too had this problem. No more. And I really like the taste of it. The flavor can be enhanced with the creamers, too.
Your cake is very pretty. I also have the scraper. Use it all the time.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:55am
post #9 of 13

Home depot doesn't have bench scrapers, they have putty knives, which are completely different. IMO they don't work as well. Do you have sugarshack's Perfecting the art of buttercream DVD? It's worth it's price in gold.

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:25am
post #10 of 13

Yeah, your roses are fantastic! I've heard that the Wilton buttercream is really good for roses....I've got to try it sometime. I agree with psurrette, make sure you're using the paddle attachment on your mixer. I've been using the buttercream dream recipe from this site and I really like it. It smooths really nicely.

HTH!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:29am
post #11 of 13

that picture looks to me like you had air in the icing from the time u made it in the mixer. That is why i kind of go on and on and on about filling that mixer side to side and over the paddle to get airless icing. ( lol)

also the hot scraper/spatula really helps too if u do have some air.

here is what mine looks like ( see pic below) , and this was made days before i used it and not remixed.

and here is a clip of me making a batch if you have not seen it.

lkoenig07 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you all for your help!! I really appreciate it! I do not have a paddle attachment for my mixer. We couldn't afford to buy one right now, so my sister-in-law gave me her mom's old mixer (it's actually not that old, only like 4 years or so) and its a stand one, but it doesn't have the paddle attachment (its just a regular hand mixer with a stand). So I have to make do with that one for awhile.

I think I may have figured out my problem though... I made a 1/2 batch of SugarShack's BC & I think that's why it has so much air in it. I was almost out of shortening & I didn't feel like running to the store to get more, so I just used what I had. Someone else on here said they made a 1/2 batch before & it turned out ok so I tried it. I think today I'll try the full & see if that helps.

SugarShack, your picture of the icing helps me out a lot!! Thank you! I've watched your YouTube video of how to make it, but now I know what to look for in my finished product. Hopefully I can get it right today... I'd love to have a great looking frosted cake! I'm such a perfectionist... lol. Thanks again everyone!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 13

I think filling your mixer up more where noo air is rolling aorund in there is oging to help tons!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%