How Do I Make These?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm by Misdawn

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 19

I am doing a cake similar to this one, and need to know how to do the 'ropes'. Any ideas would be VERY appreciated. I thought of doing spaghetti noodles, but how would I color them blue? And how would I attach them to the fondant 'posts' at the corners?

(By the way, the lady I'm doing the cake for found this picture 2 weeks ago and couldn't remember where she got it, so if it belongs to someone on CC I'd be happy to PM them to speak about remaking his or her cake if anyone knows who the original baker is.)
LL

18 replies
Misdawn Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 19

Anybody?

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 19

I am in the works to make a cake exactly like this myself! icon_cool.gif Coincidence?! icon_razz.gif What I plan on doing is using those pull apart Twizzlers to make the ropes & glue them on with royal icing. Look around the candy isle & see if you can find some blue (blueberry?) twizzlers maybe. Otherwise, if you want to use noodles, maybe boiling them in blue colored water would cause them to absorb the coloring? I know you can color flowers by putting them in food colored water cause they soak up the coloring. Shrug. Or you could do some 50/50 rolled really thin & I would still glue them with royal.

HTH

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 19

Not my picture, but it looks to me as if the original decorator used yarn/thread or some other non-edible rope.

In the past, I've used licorice ... the long kinds that you can unravel. You could also make it out of royal, gumpaste or pastilage that you've let harden - which can be a little more brittle or prone to breakage. Good luck!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 19

The only thought that comes to me is the colored licorice that comes apart in strings. It would severely limit the size of your cake, but it would be fairly easy to use. Could you use a clay extractor and do it out of fondant?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 19

yep, licorice rope, i've only seen red though

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 19

i would just use string. its probably easier to handle in a situation like this. licorice can be brittle if its stale and it could break easier in transport

neascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neascakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 19

I actually did a wresting cake a couple of months ago. I used the pull and peel twizzlers. You have to really work with it and mash them to connect the pieces or tie them or it comes apart though. It worked fine, I make them to size and then put them on right before delivery. I was at the party, so I was able to check on it before the big finale.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 19

Actually, I have very long pieces of black licorice that I bought at a candy store. Not sure if you're in an area that might have a bigger selection than most, but it is possible to find it in specialty stores.

You might even be able to find a recipe for some sort of "gummy" candy or licorice like that... ? Good luck.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 19

Twizlers now come in weird colors. Just saw them at WalMart. Don't remember if blue was one of them...

Or paint the noodle with vodka + food color mix and dry, POKE them into the side pillars, and then draw on the deatil of "wrapping around" each side post.

Misdawn Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 19

All great ideas. Thank you so much!

neascakes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:06pm
post #12 of 19

I used the red pull and peel because the WWF has red in it and it matched. It looked really good.
LL

Misdawn Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 19

Neascakes...how did you make the licorice stick to the posts? Also, how did you do the WWF logo?

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 19

Neascakes neat cake I like how it turned out colors were good too.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #15 of 19

I have Twizzlers Pull-n-Peel "Twisted Berry" - three flavor/colors in the bag
red, purple,and blue!

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:28am
post #16 of 19

well, this isn't an edible option, but it's food safe. what about looping dental floss around multiple times until it's thick enough? You could probably find it in the colors you need.

Misdawn Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #17 of 19

I found the pull-n-peel twizzlers, but I didn't find the blue ones. I went to 3 different stores! I guess I'll just use the red ones. Thanks for all your help everyone!

neascakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:50pm
post #18 of 19

The posts were fondant, so I brushed on vodka where I wanted it to stick. I drew the WWF on the fondant with edible markers.

Misdawn Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks everyone! You can see a picture of my cake in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%