Jello To Flavour Buttercream???

Decorating By CookiezNCupcakez Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 1:19pm by pinkpiggie78

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:20am
post #1 of 10

I'm new to baking and /decorating and I'm having a blast! Loving this site too icon_biggrin.gif
I'm wondering if any one had tried jello pwder to flavour buttercream and your thoughts on it..

What are your fav flavours / ways to flavour buttercream?

Thanks for any suggestions

9 replies
baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:26am
post #2 of 10

I would like to know also

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:32am
post #3 of 10

I don't know about Jell-o, that might change the consistency but I know you can use Kool-Aid to color and flavor buttercream.

When they first started enforcing the copyright laws, in the 80's, I had been making lots of Care Bears. When I knew I could no longer do them to sell, I started making real similar ones and called them, Flavor Bears. I made the bear the color of the flavor of icing. It went over quite well for awhile.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 10

I'm sure you can use it but think about flavors-- for example is what you're looking for something that tastes like strawberries or something that tastes like "strawberry"?

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 10

If we are talking Jello gelatin, then yes I have flavored with Jello. I also use it to add flavor to fillings. I do one with with chocolate pudding, using only a little over half of the milk called for, I sprinkle in some raspberry flavored gelatin and fold that into my buttercream. It delicious.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 10

I too have used KoolAid for years in b'cream but don't recall using Jello gelatin. The recipe link above is *not* for jello....it's for pudding icon_sad.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 7:37am
post #8 of 10

One question.... why in the world would you want to put meat in your frosting?

If you want to flavor frosting try fruit compounds instead!

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 7:58am
post #9 of 10

Jell-o has a bad habit of making a real texture issue in bc. I know you are wanting to get a flavoring that is POW! but from my experience it is really off putting to feel like you have grains of sand on your palette and tongue. I have used the kool aid as well but find that I only use that for kids cakes when I need that extra punch. Most adults don't want that phoney bologna taste in my experience. Maybe it is just me and my area but I find that a lot more folks are requesting the fresh fruits and lighter infusioned flavors with fruit folded in etc. HTH

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 10

I really like using the concentrated Lorann flavor oils in my BC. I just put in a few drops to lighly flavor the BC to compliment the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%