Cakes Without Corn?

Decorating By Kim040508 Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 6:43am by kathy172

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 7

I am really in need of some help here! My little guy is going to be 1 in March, and I am going to do a Horton hears a Who cake. I normally do a big cake for all of our guests and a small cupcake size for him. Only 1 problem, he is allergic to corn! All of the cake flavors that I have made have some type of corn ex: corn starch, corn syrup. Also the frosting that I use includes some form of corn. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help!!

Thanks a lot,
Kim

6 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 7

Can you post your recipe. I've never seen a cake recipe with corn starch, and syrup. The flour should be more than enough starch I would think.

Mike

Kim040508 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 7

I know this is terrible, but I use the Duncan Hines box cakes. It's easy and I don't have a very big box of recipes for cakes. I do banana cake and carrot cake from scratch. Thankfully, I only do cakes for family and friends and they always say my cakes are really good. Although, I'm sure they would taste better if I made them from scratch!! icon_redface.gif I also have to watch all of the ingredients that I put in to make sure noting includes corn. I is a pain sometimes.

Thank you for your reply so quick.
Kim

Since you're from Michigan also, do you own your own bakery?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 7

About the only thinnk I can think of is to make an icing from cottage cheese or cream cheese w/out powdered sugar.
I had a recipe for pwdr sugar replacement (for diabetics) but don't remember if it used corn starch or not. I know cornstarch is in pdwr sugar.
Does mayo have corn syrup in it? Maybe a choco mayo cake? It's a rather simple recipe that is very goodicon_smile.gif

Kim040508 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 7

kakeladi, thank you for your reply. Yes mayo and miracle whip both have HFCS in them. I guess I just have to do more looking around. Thank you so much.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 7

Bake from scratch and use a cooked meringue icing (or plain sweetened whipped cream-- like, actual cream that you actually whip and add regular sugar to, not something that comes premade or freeze-dried from a factory).

kathy172 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy172 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 6:43am
post #7 of 7

I believe Cherrybrook Kitchen's mixes are corn free. I can find them in AZ at SuperTarget. I've used their gluten free mixes with success, but they have regular wheat mixes as well (I just can't vouch for them). Their website is http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com- I think you can search for where to buy their products. If you have time, you can order from http://www.allergygrocer.com Their mixes are good, and you can specifically search for corn free products. They have a variety of baking items that you might find useful. Lastly, if you live near a Whole Foods market, they sell various mixes and ingredients that might work for you. Lastly, Enjoy Life foods makes WONDERFUL semisweet chocolate chips that are free of everything icon_smile.gif I can get them at Whole Foods, online (at http://www.enjoylifefoods.com) and at Sprouts markets. They make a wonderful chocolate icing when melted with heavy cream and whipped.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%