I'm A Craigslist Addict, And This Is My Story.

Decorating By Cakenicing4u Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm by tx_cupcake

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #1 of 14

A few months ago, a friend introduced me to craigslist, and the free listings you can make to sell things. icon_cry.gif Unfortunately, all I heard was how to buy things. icon_lol.gif The first thing I got was a puppy on craigslist... 3/4 Jack russell and 1/4 pit bull.... Anyway...

So today was one heck of a successful day, and I just HAD to share. I've been on the hunt for appliances for my bakery. (Don't lecture me about commercial- I already checked that out!)

On Christmas eve, someone posted that there was a free stove out on the curb. They would remove the post when it was gone-- only 6 miles away. I said, honey, let's go! icon_lol.gif If it's crap, we'll leave it there, and if it's good, we score a free oven! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif SCORE! Not only was it free, it was only about two years old-- a separate glass top burner set from the oven that could be set into the counter! All Digital! The post said that it worked when it was removed, so keep your fingers crossed.... icon_wink.gif

Then this past week, I saw a post for a fridge for $35 so icon_eek.gif I called and told him that I would have to rent a u-haul to transport it.... and he said... well, I actually have a second fridge to move to my daughters, and if you help me do that, you can have my fridge for free! SCORE! Next thing ya know, the daughter calls and says, hey.. you can have my fridge too! icon_lol.gif

Tonight, I went to Uhaul to get the truck, and the guy at the counter says, I have a lady that was just here and has a fridge to get rid of- here's her #-- I called, and thumbs_up.gif $25 gets me the next fridge. While there, the phone rings... and it's another guy from craigslist that had a upright freezer for $20... if I can come tomorrow morning, it's mine... Well... I have the truck till 10 am, so that works for me! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Keeping track?
Stove- Free
3 fridges- $25 (all running when I got there)
1 upright freezer $20

Ya. It's a sure thing. My name is Diana, and I'm a Craiglist addict. thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:28am
post #2 of 14

Now watch your electric bill sky rocket. lol

Cakenicing4u Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:19am
post #3 of 14

Ya... I know... I thought of that but compared to about $300 a piece, if it saves me the money right now, I can always upgrade later, once I have MADE the money to do so. You have to pick your poison... and this was mine!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:36am
post #4 of 14

Haha, wow you certainly scored bigtime! I love looking on craigslist too, though I've yet to buy anything. I'm addicted to selling my stuff on there, though. Anytime I find something I don't want, I post it CL. icon_lol.gif I've made some good $$ that way. That's also where DH found the siamese kitty (yet to be named, poor thing) he got me for Christmas.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 14

woah good job on the great deals! I used to check out craigslist everyday, but i weaned myself off of it. I never bought anythign so it just ate up tons of my time each day. Maybe ill start looking again, maybe set a certain each day to get on and get off, that way i dont waste tons of time. Ok anyway, great job with steals!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 14

Okay, what I'm about to share with you may blow your mind...

http://www.freecycle.org/

It's addictive and EVERYTHING is FREE!!!

(and you don't meet as many freaky people as you do on Craigslist icon_lol.gif )

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 14

Hi my name is Julie and I'm addicted to Craigslist too...made a few purchases and got good deals, but also can't stop selling stuff on there and skimming the ads!

I also do freecycle, it's great for getting rid of stuff when cleaning house - someone can always use what you don't want, and they just come pick it up right off the porch!!

Cakenicing4u Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 14

ya, i'm a freecycle addict too.. but nobody would give me an appliance... so craigslist wins this week... many times I ask for info on freecycle and get good advice... so I use both regularly!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 14

My goodness, I better visit Craiglist...never been there and need a new oven, dishwasher, freezer LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 14

I have done a few CL things too! One of my fridges is from CL...I paid more than you did, but it was VERY gently used and I wanted it not to be stinky or anything. Plus its almost identical to another one I have and I knew it would fit my wider cakes!

Freecycle is cool but around here, people must just have their computer set on "FREECYCLE" all day because it doesn't matter...anytime I find something I want, somebody always beat me to it! haha. I do give things away periodically though, and do periodically check CL as well.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 14

I do both Craigslist and Freecycle, too. I have given away things on Freecycle, but scored big-time with a friend on Craigslist last week. We share kitchen space for our separate businesses, and needed a larger oven. She found a double oven that was convection on the top, conventional on the bottom for $50! The family getting rid of it was gutting their kitchen for a remodel. Nothing was wrong with the unit and we waltzed away with a perfectly good oven for $25 each! icon_biggrin.gif

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 14

i got a job from craigslist. i have found that alot of reputable places advertise job placements on craigslist because its free rather then newspapers or other job search engines.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:44am
post #13 of 14

I moderate 2 local Freecycle lists, and over the last two weeks, some lady has given away FOUR 42" plasma TV's, one 52" rear-projection HD TV, a Sony touchscreen digicam, a brand new unused Blackberry Storm, furniture, and designer shoes. Seems she loaded a U-Haul with her soon-to-be ex-husband's belongings and is giving them away. I asked her why she isn't selling the items, and she said because she had two choices: give the stuff away or sell it and give him half the money. It must have been a very bad split.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 14

icon_eek.gif Wow sparklepopz, I wish I lived where you are!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%