Chocolate Clay-How Can I Make It Black?

Decorating By prettysweet Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm by melysa

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:53am
post #1 of 3

A friend just requested that I make a cake for a DJ's birthday this weekend. I'm going to need black and silver for the turntables, microphone, disc and I don't have time to order black satin ice fondant. I have never even used satin ice and usually make mm fondant but I've never tried black and I'm afraid the amount of black coloring I would have to use would produce a lousy taste.. I was wondering if I could somehow use chocolate clay and make it black without a bad taste. I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this job. This friend is trying to get me some business and I don't want to disappoint her. I had to refuse her last order because of illness. I would appreciate any suggestions Thanks for any help.

2 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 3

I've added black Wilton gel to my chocolate clay without any problems and I think it still tastes good, like fudge thumbs_up.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 3

add a little black gel to the corn syrup before you mix it in, then you dont have to do any kneeding afterwards. with chocolate, you'll use less color and you'll also save your hands from staining.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%