What's Wrong With This Picture ?

Decorating By grama_j Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm by Larrimore

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:37am
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

Rosie..... I just looked at your pics and your work is GREAT ! Cakes, cookies, and those booties are adorable !

Thank you so much Grama, you are very kind and thoughtfull! I appreciate your comments.
I see everybodies point on this issue...I'm lucky to have a good computer and it only takes me 2 secs to put a comment. I try to comments on all the cakes I see.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #32 of 54

I got through the 1st post on this thread....sorry, but I'm not reading it all...

I've been here long enough to say that this subject has been beaten, revived, stampeded, torn to shreads, reincarnated, mutilated, murdered, dismembered, buried in 7 different places on 7 different continents and yet seems to always come back to life. icon_confused.gif

edited to add this "sticky" link:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-423993-0.html

please read it if you haven't already.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:56am
post #33 of 54

Here, here!!! I agree, adven68!

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:27am
post #34 of 54

I think it comes down to the fact that we all are different and this is what makes our world go round. I am fairly new and I love comments and also try to leave them if I have time or the cake really awes me. I REALLY love it though when I get put into favs!!!! - Who wouldn't? I appriciate constructive criticism more than anything....I am in awe of so many of you out there and aspire to be better. Thanks to all of you! Just be yourself and do what YOU feel is good.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:28am
post #35 of 54

I never meant to imply that you meant every picture.. but the way this site runs (read not at all) sometimes and the fact that most of us are busy people.. it isn't easy to comment on every picture we look at or save.. and if someone already said what I would say anyway.. I'm not going to re-state the obvious.

It's not my computer that makes this site run s-l-o-w.. it's the site itself. Now I'm not begrudging Heath and Jackie for this, but it's a fact. The other day it took minutes at a time for pages to load.. it's the price we pay to be here and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

I spend my CC time in the forums trying to help people who ask for it. I always try to help out others when I come across a post I can offer advice about. I am a gallery supporter member (edited to say I *was*.. apparently I got kicked out when the site was having issues.. I'll have to re-apply) and I look through the uncommented photos when I can. When I get a PM I try to always answer them in a timely manner. If someone comments on my photos and posts a question I try to answer them (when I see them because the notifications don't always work). I'm human.. I can't be everything to everyone, and I won't be made to feel bad because I can't. If you want to comment on every picture then do it.. just don't expect everyone to do the same. I have pictures with hundreds of views and many saves and 3-5 comments.. I'm not poo pooing about it. I would't expect someone else to poo poo about it for me either.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

I got through the 1st post on this thread....sorry, but I'm not reading it all...

I've been here long enough to say that this subject has been beaten, revived, stampeded, torn to shreads, reincarnated, mutilated, murdered, dismembered, buried in 7 different places on 7 different continents and yet seems to always come back to life. icon_confused.gif

LOL! THAT made me laugh, thanks : )

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #37 of 54

I must be odd, but once I post a picture I rarely go in to see how many view/favorites/comments are on there. My email is set up to notify me of a new comment, but other than that I don't look at the views/favorites. My favorite comments are the ones left months after the picture posted because that means that they really DID like what they saw and probably searched out the picture somehow. Let's not get panties in wads. There are a lot more serious issues in life.

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:46pm
post #38 of 54

I try to leave comments on cakes as much as I can... especially if I put them in my favorites.... usually if I don't it is because it takes 5 minutes to submit my comment. I don't know if it is my computer or the website that is so slow. It really seems that this website is the only slow one I really have to deal with.... Having said that.... it is a small price to pay to wait around a bit for the help that this website offers!! I love this place and wouldn't be as experienced with out it!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:04pm
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Ditto! I receive very few comments and that's ok. That's not the reason I post photos.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:08pm
post #40 of 54

Sweet Jesus, y'all. Stop being so sensitive and just get over yourselves. Honestly, do you REALLY need validation that much? More's the pity.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm
post #41 of 54

I guess it all boils down to this:

If a picture gets added as a favorite, it's a great compliment.
If a comment is left, it's very much appreciated.
If no one comments........don't get your "knickers-in-a-twist".
icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

I think most people contribute what they can, or what they have time for. It's just great to have a cake community to come to! Besides, seeing Heath and Jackie's "cheezy grins" always brightens my day! thumbs_up.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:22pm
post #42 of 54

Well, I know I'm guilty of looking and not commenting. In the not so distant past when it took forever and a day for a picture to load, either I would give up on looking at it completely after a few minutes or I would be so tired of waiting that by the time it loaded I was ready to move on. I hardly ever even saved any pics to my favorites because I just didn't have the time to sit and stare at a loading screen.

But now that everything is loading much faster (thanks to whomever is responsible!), I have no problem with leaving comments.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #43 of 54

I don't comment on all the picture I look at. Some I just want to see more detail then the thumbnail on the front page gives. I do try to leave comments if I have the time. Someday I may be able to upload my own pictures for others to comment on. Know that if we look we are probably interested.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:19pm
post #44 of 54

Here's a better one for ya. It's mine and there are 1350 views, 21 favorites and only 1 commenticon_sad.gif
It's very interesting to me. The cakes I love and think will get good 'reviews' don't get but one, if any comments and few views. The ones that I think are just so-so get big #sicon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10037/normal_baby_rattle_sheet-tiered.jpg

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:25pm
post #45 of 54

Kakeladi, exactly! I recently made a birthday cake that I really liked. I am a chocoholic and it was my favorite. I noticed today that it has become someone else's favorite. Ahh.. a kindred spirit. icon_biggrin.gif You never can tell what people will like or don't like.

Now, does this validate me in some way? No. Does this raise my cake-esteem? No. Does this really matter in my day-to-day life? No.

BUT IT JUST FEELS NICE!

Lisa

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:38pm
post #46 of 54

icon_rolleyes.gif More popcorn please icon_rolleyes.gif

Jibbies

FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:50pm
post #47 of 54

I want some of the wine and cheese from the other thread.. icon_wink.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:29am
post #48 of 54

Yeah--serve me up some wine, too!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:05am
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Yeah--serve me up some wine, too!

Maybe that should be spelled "whine"

hehe

Jibbies

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:15am
post #50 of 54

Ooooh.. I was gonna go there.. but thought twice.. icon_wink.gif

Pitchers_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pitchers_Bakery Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:04am
post #51 of 54

i just have to say sometimes we are here for business purposes and other times we here because we want to see beautiful work, get ideas and talk a little. I think we all need to remember that some people just don't have the time to comment. Ill be honest i have a ton of photos that are in my fav for work related reasons.. ideas, inspirations, etc. I honestly love feedback on photos, and i love it more when i have my photos clicked as favorites. I don't comment on a lot of photos and when i do it means you did an awesome amazing job to the point where i stop to really reflect on your work... just a note.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:34am
post #52 of 54

Personally, if someone puts my pic into faves, it's compliment enough and I would not want 100 comments just because my photo was viewed 100 times. Even if a pic was saved 20 times, I would not expect 20 comments if they are all saying the same things. JMHO.

Also, I have come across GORGEOUS cakes that have over 1000 views and a few hundred saves with over 50 comments already, that I view and admire and save in awe but don't leave a comment because it would surely be redundant. If on the other hand, I come across a pic I LOVE that obviously has been overlooked, I will most definitely comment if it's not already been mentioned to death in previous comments, even if I don't save it.

P.S. I love this community and feel everyone is VERY generous with their time and comments and help etc. so appreciate whatever comments I do get but it definitely means more to me if it's sincere.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:49am
post #53 of 54

hmmm i find myself at both ends of the scale in this debate, i too have not many comments on my cakes yet am quite happy with the level of views and saves so after a while i had to reajust my thinking to instead of gauging by comments left i now judge by views and saves. i do this because i have found myself commenting on fewer and fewer cakes myself (shocking i know!!) generally now i only comment when something is truly unique or executed brilliantly or has inspired me etc as like a lot of others now that my business has taken of like a rocket i don't have the time to scour through the pics and spend hours in the forum sadly enough!! icon_sad.gif
but yes when you are new you definately get disheartened when no one comments until you work out the other way to look at it thumbs_up.gif

Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #54 of 54

I am guilty of saving a picture in my favorites and not commenting if they have alot of comments. I do this cause I am really in awe (or maybe intimidated) of the very talented decorators on this site. I learned how to decorate cakes cause I was the back-up decorator at the grocery store I used to work at. So my decorating looks very amatuer to everyone else on here. I have finally figured out that I really need to add more colors and venture out. I have been unable to take classes so I come here to read the posts, look at the pictures and learn how to expand my decorating abilities. I am also reluctant in just jumping in a conversation (but I am getting better at that too). But I would be really happy if one day (after I get my pictures uploaded) if one made it into someone's favorites. To me, that is a huge compliment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%