"sealing" The Deal On Wedding Cakes

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 12:35am by tarheelgirl

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 6

I have only sold 2 wedding cakes and they were for friends. I have had several inquires in email but maybe I am approaching it the wrong way. When I get an email I find out that they need X amount of servings. When responding as to how much per serving for buttercream/fondant.. then I give the other details such as delivery, taxes.. they never respond back! Should I only be giving them basic pricing such as the price per servings and not the other details unless they ask?? I do have the wedding contract and will present that to the client when they come for tastings. I suppose that is when you give the total pricing not through an email. icon_redface.gif This wedding cake thing is new to me but something that I really want to move into more.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I have only sold 2 wedding cakes and they were for friends. I have had several inquires in email but maybe I am approaching it the wrong way. When I get an email I find out that they need X amount of servings. When responding as to how much per serving for buttercream/fondant.. then I give the other details such as delivery, taxes.. they never respond back! Should I only be giving them basic pricing such as the price per servings and not the other details unless they ask?? I do have the wedding contract and will present that to the client when they come for tastings. I suppose that is when you give the total pricing not through an email. icon_redface.gif This wedding cake thing is new to me but something that I really want to move into more.

People price shop for sure, maybe some of those girls will get back to you too, you never know. I think I would just stick to price per serving type quotes. But I mean there's nothing wrong with giving them the whole enchilada. Taxes are kinda expected, nothing new anyway. I would say '$4 a serving plus delivery' something like that.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 6

I give basic pricing as it is listed on my website if asked. Usually price is discussed at the consult after they have seen what I offer and heard my schpeal and usually tasted my cakes.

Usually it goes like this.. They contact me through my site and say that their wedding is on such and such a date.. then I respond saying that yes I have their date open and that the next step is to schedule a consult/tasting.. then at the tasting we discuss their theme and colors and the bride's vision for her cake and then we talk price.

HTH's.. icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks ladies! That information will really be helpful! icon_biggrin.gif

For tastings.. I plan on having at least 3 samples available with different types of fillings/flavors.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 6

I have my first cake tasting for a wedding this Sunday. I am making 4'' cakes in 3 flavors, 3 fillings and one with fondant to sample. I am meeting the woman at a cafe. Have any tips for me?

tarheelgirl Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:35am
post #6 of 6

Let us know how it goes! I am meeting on the 31st. What 3 flavors with fillings are you taking?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%