So, What Exactly Is A Quilting Tool?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm by kakeladi

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 6

I'm thinking of learning some quilting effects on fondant, but in my reading, it keeps mentioning a "quilting tool" ... I'm not exactly sure what kind of tool it's supposed to be. Of course, I know I can use diamond impression mats, for example, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything here. Thanks for any input!

5 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 6

this is technically called a quilting tool, it makes sticth lines. i use it over the impressions from the diamond mat to make a quilted look:

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 6

While Sugarshack is absolutely correct, I think different people actually have different tools in mind when referring to their quilting tools. I don't like the impressions mats for quilting, I use a different product for my "quilting". Here's a link to what I think of when I think of a quilting tool.

Technically speaking, if you were a "quilter", you'd be thinking of the item that sugarshack indicated. However, I never use that tool for quilting... I use it for making "stitching" effects on clothes, shoes, purses, etc. I hope that makes sense! Depending on the post that you're reading, people have different things in mind when using certain terms.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much, guys! This is helpful!


IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 6

Can you use these tools on buttercream, also?


kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 6

............use these tools on buttercream...........

Yes, if it is a crusting b'c.

Quote by @%username% on %date%