Frustrated With Cake Recipes

Decorating By Denae Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 5:16am by mom2rascals

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:45am
post #31 of 33

Barring Angel Food cakes, I'm a scratch baker. I really don't like the taste or texture of box cakes. However, a scratch cake will go stale much quicker than a scratch, and scratch recipes are definitely not all created equal. It helps a lot if you learn how to bake. As others have said it isn't rocket science, but it is science. Unlike cooking, a little of this a little of that doesn't work. Measure accurately, and learn the techniques. Also DO NOT OVER BAKE! The difference between perfection and ho-hum can be a 90 seconds. Make sure your oven is baking on temp. Box mixes are put together so that they are pretty goof proof, dump, mix and bake. Most scratch recipes aren't that forgiving.

Angel food cakes, however, are my 'bete noire'. The last time I tried one, the dang thing fell out of the pan when I flipped it over to cool. No, I did not grease the pan. And yes, everything was degreased. It baked perfectly, looked wonderful when I flipped over to cool; when I checked it two hours later, it was laying in a inedible lump on the counter top. I definitely need the goof proof aspect of a box mix where they are concerned.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

And...AND.... I might not be able to twist out gumpaste flowers or pipe perfectly executed fleur de lis' like Sylvia....

You can so to!

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks! I love to practice, that's for sure!

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:16am
post #33 of 33

JanH, Thanks for the links! I'm just a hobbyist . . . I don't get enough practice baking. My personal goal is to make a better tasting cake. I just might have the confidence to bake a scratch cake recipe now. Thanks everyone for your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%