Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

Squeeky3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Squeeky3 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:35pm
post #5311 of 6536

Question about the Tiramisu Cake ...

I know Tiramisu is associated with alcohol and for someone who doesn't drink, wanted to make sure the Tiramisu creamer is artificially flavoured? I'm sure it is, but just want to double check!

What other creamer flavours could I substitute with?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:32am
post #5312 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeky3

Question about the Tiramisu Cake ...

I know Tiramisu is associated with alcohol and for someone who doesn't drink, wanted to make sure the Tiramisu creamer is artificially flavoured? I'm sure it is, but just want to double check!

What other creamer flavours could I substitute with?

There is never alcohol in coffee creamers. You can use the Mudslide creamer that International Delight has out now.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:05am
post #5313 of 6536

Torani also has a Tiramisu flavored coffee syrup that you could use to sub for some of your liquid. It doesn't have alcohol in it either.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:26am
post #5314 of 6536

Macsmom, I was reading your post about diet soda and champagne. Have you ever tried straight club soda? No sugar but still bubbly. Just curious if it would workicon_smile.gif 

So I 'made up' a flavor recently I wanted to share. It's a chocolate covered cherry cupcake or cake. The cake recipe is from the cake mix doctor: 

Cake:
1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix 
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling 
1 teaspoon almond extract 
2 eggs 

Mix together. Batter will be thick. Bake as you normally would

Filling:
1 cup bettercream 
2oz of grated semi sweet chocolate 
2-3 tbl spoons white chocolate pudding
1/2 can cherry pie filling

Whip bettercream and pudding. Grate chocolate on a regular cheese grater. 
Fold in grated chocolate and cherry filling. 

I used the filling to fill 24 cupcakes and had a lot left over but if I were making a torted cake I think you would need the extra filling. 

I love the cake and filling but was unhappy with my choc frosting.

I'm still looking for a good fudgy frosting. I have tried chocolate buttercream and I've tried the recipe on the bakers box but I'm looking for the kind of fudge frosting that you see around chocolate cakes at the grocery store. Dark, rich and shiny. Anyone have any ideas?

I think this recipe would be over the top with a little kirsch flavoring in the filling. 

Hope you like it. 

All4Show Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:27am
post #5315 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

Macsmom, I made your cinnamon roll cake, (using King Arthur's Cinnamon Flav-R-Bites), recently and wanted to tell you that it was the very best tasting cake I've ever made. It was the birthday cake for my sister and everyone present said that is the one they want next. The only trouble is, that is what people say about any of the cakes found in this thread; there are just too many to try to stop at one!
This is a great thread. The possibilities are endless. (As it appears to be---also my waistline!)

Thanks,

Jan

Thanks! I got the same response when I made it for a friends birthday. Later I made the French Toast cake for her son: Maple and cinnamon. They liked that one even more!

Oooo! French Toast!! Could you post the recipe. I'm not getting notices so I missed that. Boy, am I sorry!

MacsMom Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:33am
post #5316 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

Macsmom, I made your cinnamon roll cake, (using King Arthur's Cinnamon Flav-R-Bites), recently and wanted to tell you that it was the very best tasting cake I've ever made. It was the birthday cake for my sister and everyone present said that is the one they want next. The only trouble is, that is what people say about any of the cakes found in this thread; there are just too many to try to stop at one!
This is a great thread. The possibilities are endless. (As it appears to be---also my waistline!)

Thanks,

Jan

Thanks! I got the same response when I made it for a friends birthday. Later I made the French Toast cake for her son: Maple and cinnamon. They liked that one even more!

Oooo! French Toast!! Could you post the recipe. I'm not getting notices so I missed that. Boy, am I sorry!

It's just the maple cake with 2 tsp cinnamon added to it! I also use a cinnamon swirl like in the cinnamon roll cake.

All4Show Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:40am
post #5317 of 6536

Thanks for the quick reply!

MacsMom Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:39pm
post #5318 of 6536

[quote="sillywabbitz"]Macsmom, I was reading your post about diet soda and champagne. Have you ever tried straight club soda? No sugar but still bubbly. Just curious if it would workicon_smile.gif?

I have tried club soda twice - both times my cakes sank in the middle. I have no idea why!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5319 of 6536

Champagne it isicon_smile.gif I love the mimosa cake so I have no problem using the champage...I just really don't like diet drinksicon_wink.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 8:02pm
post #5320 of 6536

[quote="sillywabbitz"
I love the cake and filling but was unhappy with my choc frosting.

I'm still looking for a good fudgy frosting. I have tried chocolate buttercream and I've tried the recipe on the bakers box but I'm looking for the kind of fudge frosting that you see around chocolate cakes at the grocery store. Dark, rich and shiny. Anyone have any ideas?

I think this recipe would be over the top with a little kirsch flavoring in the filling. 

Hope you like it. [/quote]

Have you tried chocolate ganache? Can't get much Fudgier than that, soooo rich!

MacsMom Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5321 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Have you tried chocolate ganache? Can't get much Fudgier than that, soooo rich!

I was just gonna say that! It's probably whipped ganache that they use in bakeries. I just add melted chocolate chips to my buttercream, using all butter instead of shortening.

Squeeky3 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 10:13pm
post #5322 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Thanks for the replies! I was asked to make Tiramisu cupcakes so definitely going to do some trial and error now!

As for a chocolate frosting ... other than ganache, I use this often too and I really love the taste! Have a try:

1/2 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter and stir into cocoa powder. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add a small amount of additional milk, if needed (which I always tend to need). Stir in vanilla. It makes about 2 cups.

Christine1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christine1219 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:42pm
post #5323 of 6536

Macsmom, ChefStef and all other contributors.. THANK YOU for sharing !!! The friendliness and sharing of this community is a BLESSING !!! Thanks to you all !! XOXO

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 3:49pm
post #5324 of 6536

Hi Christine1219, and welcome to CC! icon_biggrin.gif

If you check the link in my signature, it brings you to all the threads and all the google docs associated with them in one place. icon_biggrin.gif

Christine1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christine1219 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 4:32pm
post #5325 of 6536

Again, I am overwhelmed by the kindness of the people on this site ! I am so excited to have found this site ! Thank you to you all !!!

Twilmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twilmore Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5326 of 6536

I am making a lemon sourcream pound cake. Does anyone have any suggestions for a filling?

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5327 of 6536

I would either do a raspberry filling or MacsMom's white chocolate truffle filling from the gourmet flavors google document.

I make raspberry filling by taking a jar of seedless raspberry jam and adding a box of raspberry jello. Heat it in the microwave until the jam is melted and mix in jello. Cool and use. So simple, but really yummy!

Twilmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twilmore Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:42pm
post #5328 of 6536

Thanks fruitsnack. That is what I had in mind, but I did not have a good rasberry filling.

Squeeky3 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:15am
post #5329 of 6536

Sooo ... I tested out my homemade cake mix and it worked! The only thing I did differently with it was replaced the milk amount with French Vanilla Coffee Creamer and it tasted really good! It may have been a teeny bit on the dense side but still moist. I filled it with MacsMom's Chocolate Truffle filling which turned out yummy ... and then topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings icon_smile.gif Took to a friend's house and everyone looved it.

I'd attach the pic but I can't seem to reduce it to the appropriate size! icon_cry.gif

I have a question about freezing the coffee creamer. For those of you who do, do you just defrost it out of the freezer, use it and then freeze again? Is that okay to do? There was a sale so I bought a few extra!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:31am
post #5330 of 6536

has anyone ever altered a pound cake box mix?

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:13am
post #5331 of 6536

Macsmom- have you measured your red velvet batter to know how many cups your recipe makes? I made it once- it was AWESOME- but used it for cupcakes. I'm looking to use it for my cousin's wedding cake this weekend and need to have an idea of whether or not I need to make double the recipe. I know it made a TON, but need a more accurate idea than that. icon_wink.gif

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:33pm
post #5332 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJTKNT

Macsmom- have you measured your red velvet batter to know how many cups your recipe makes? I made it once- it was AWESOME- but used it for cupcakes. I'm looking to use it for my cousin's wedding cake this weekend and need to have an idea of whether or not I need to make double the recipe. I know it made a TON, but need a more accurate idea than that. icon_wink.gif

Where can I find the recipe. Thanks

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5333 of 6536

It's in the document file you can find in this thread. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5334 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJTKNT

Where can I find the recipe. Thanks

Check the information in my signature.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:36pm
post #5335 of 6536

*MacsMom* Do you have any ideas on how to make a french silk pie into a cake?

TIA,
Kelley

MacsMom Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:24am
post #5336 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by galliesway

*MacsMom* Do you have any ideas on how to make a french silk pie into a cake?

TIA,
Kelley

Sorry, I wasn't getting notices...

French silk is basically a chocolate pudding-type pie, so all I can think of is making either a yellow or chocolate cake with a pudding (1 cup milk instead of 2 cups in an instant pudding mix) or chocolate bavarian cream filling. Perhaps do one layer of the chocolate filling, and one layer of a whipped filling like Bettercreme.

cb37015 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb37015 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 2:37am
post #5337 of 6536

Hi MacsMom-
I am in need of a strawberry cake recipe. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help!

Crissy

bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 3:51am
post #5338 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb37015

Hi MacsMom-
I am in need of a strawberry cake recipe. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help!

Crissy

Check the info in my signature, that will help you.

MacsMom Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:36pm
post #5339 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb37015

Hi MacsMom-

Crissy

Frankly, I don't like the recipe I was using with the fruit puree - it was too unpredictable, coming out too heavy. Now I combine a white mix with a strawberry mix and add LoRann "natural" strawberry flavor (their natural line tastes more like real fruit).

Stacie

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 7:31pm
post #5340 of 6536
Quote:
Quote:

1) Does that combo sound ok? It would be WASC, thin layer of chocolate, then wcrapsberry mousse, then another layer of WASC.

I am reading through this thread a little and and saw this from a long time ago. I just have to say that NO, NO, NO it does NOT sound ok! lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%