Should I Change My Business Name???!?!

Business By icingonthecupcake Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm by FromScratch

icingonthecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingonthecupcake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 45

I am undergoing a great name debate dilema and I need to decide once and for all. I have been using the business name Brown Sugar Cupcakery for my cupcake business, I originally liked the name because my last name was Brown but now I think I have found another name that I like and wonder what you guys think ?? The new name for my business is Chica Chocolatina, I like this because as well as a baker I am studying to be a Spanish teacher and I love all things Spanish including making cupcakes and giving them Spanish names.

I think Chica Chocolatina fits my vision better but I also liked Brown Sugar Cupcakery. What do you guys think ? Which one sounds better and why? I really want to make my decision final because I have to order business cards with the final name.

Thanks in Advance for all of your help and feel free to leave advice also.

Thanks, Jasmine icon_smile.gif

44 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:04am
post #2 of 45

Chica Chocolatina sounds like someplace I'd go to feed my chocolate addiction, not to get cupcakes.

Chica Cupcaka???

Chica Chocolatina Cupcaka??? (tho' then I'd expect only chocolate cupcakes)

Cupcaka Chica? (do grammar rules allow that order?)

-----

and speaking as a now 33 year vet of teaching ---

you love Spanish and all things Spanish NOW --- will you still love it "that" much 5, 10, 20 or more years down the road that you want everything you do outside of school to also have a Spanish connection?

I know I gratefully leave the drama (figurative and real -- hey I teach theatre!) at school and let the cakin' and other interests begin when I get home.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 45

I'm going to be perfectly blunt... I don't like Chica Chocolatina at all. I can't even say it properly without thinking about it twice. It's cute with the background story, but as a consumer, I would never remember the name and in my opinion your brand is very important. If other people can't remember your name, how will they recommend you to their friends and such? Brown Sugar Cupcakery is probably one of the cutest names I've ever heard and the fact that your last name is actually Brown makes even more darling.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:08am
post #4 of 45

Yeah.. I'm not digging the Chica Chocolatina either. Cupcake Chica would flow better, but I really like your original name. It's warm and inviting to me.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 45

Chica Chocolatina is a mouth full and not sure i'd want to try and remember it if I needed a cake. Brown Sugar cupcakery is much better.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:17am
post #6 of 45

I agree with everyone else, I think Brown Sugar Cupcakery is the way to go for the business name. Have you considered creating a Chica Chocolatina cupcake since you like giving your cupcakes Spanish names. Maybe a Chocolate cupcake with fudge filling and chocolate ganache or something equally sinfully delicious.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 45

I'm with Brown Sugar Cupcakery......too hard to remember Chica Chocolatina....I would assume by the second name that you were a candy shop or something (not bakery/pastries). Good luck with whatever you choose!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #8 of 45

Just wondering why you're changing. Are you changing your products? Will you sell the same things? Won't it be confusing for your customers if you go through a name change? Just wondering.

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #9 of 45

I like Brown Sugar Cupcakery a lot better.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #10 of 45

I would have to agree with everyone else. I could see calling yourself a "chocolate Latin girl" but for a business name? To me, it doesn't make sense. I like the brown sugar name. Baked anything with brown sugar always sounds good!

Just my opinion, please don't take any offense.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:43am
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by adunfag

I like Brown Sugar Cupcakery a lot better.

+1

sugarbees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbees Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:51am
post #12 of 45

I like brown sugar cupcakery a lot better...not all people know enough spanish to know what your store would be...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #13 of 45

chica chocolatina immediately makes me think of a chocolate latin chick...I am a redneck...not sure if that has anything to do with it....I don't know spanish....I know how to say "we're closed. Now, get the hell out of here!" That's about it.

brown sugar cupcakery...is a mouthful as well...but if you google cupcakery all of 'em with cupcakery in the name is a mouthful...that word is a mouthful all by itself but it describes what you specialize in

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #14 of 45

Brown Sugar Cupcakery gets my vote too. I have to actually say the other name out loud just to try & read it. Brown Sugar Cupcakery tells people exactly who you are & what you do, pastry-cake-cupcakes-desserts-all things sweet & yummy. The name itself is business advertisement, no explanation required. I agree that you should create some gloriously decadent cupcake that you could give the name Chica Choclatina too & you could advertise it as a special or showcase it as a centerpiece.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #15 of 45

Your name should tell people what you do .... they shouldn't have to guess, or worse yet, it shouldn't mislead them.

Do the demographics of your area include a large Spanish population? If not, it may be confusing to the non-spanish population around you. They wont' understand what your business is, what you're selling, etc.

If everyone doens't understand what your biz is about ... if you have to explain what your biz does ... then you picked the wrong name.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:43am
post #16 of 45

I agree with Indy...my name is "Cakes by Suzy" and while its nothing fancy....it speaks for itself. haha. No questions there, either about what I do, or who is doing it!

Your first name was cute, I say keep it.

alane25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alane25 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:56am
post #17 of 45

I agree with everyone else. Please let us know what you decide to do.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:58am
post #18 of 45

How long have you had the original name? Do you have a following? Then I would say don't change it unless there is a really compelling reason to. Brand is everything.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:01am
post #19 of 45

I agree with all--- your biz name is your first line of advertizing. It is a business, and business should dictate the name... not cute back story- sorry.

icingonthecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingonthecupcake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:30am
post #20 of 45

I appreciate all of your help and although chica chocolatina seems a little cutesy and not a clear indication of what I'm selling Sprinkles in California is a very well known cupcake place and when I think of Sprinkles I think of ice cream also Bleeding Heart Bakery in Chicago can cause people to think of a million different things other than cupcakes but they are a very successful organic bakery as well.

I believe eventually by word of mouth via a great product people will get to know your name understand it and what you are all about.

When I was thinking about the name for my business I wanted it to be succssesful of course but a little personal to me, like my baby. Name it, Nuture it, Love everything about it and what you do and I believe you can find success.

I was thinking of changing the name Brown Sugar Cupcakery because I was worried that it may have slight sexual connotations "Brown Suga" I have gotten a few off color comments. Also because Brown is my married name and I recently was divorced I figured the business should now reflect me.

Anyway I appreciate all of the feedback and you guys have really helped me see aspects about both names that I may have overlooked.

Thank you, Jasmine [/quote]

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 12:51pm
post #21 of 45

then how about bit of a homonymic play on words?

tres chica cupcakery

3 girls ---

or

3x chic!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:34pm
post #22 of 45

I like the original name better, it's really cute icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:48pm
post #23 of 45

I agree with everyone else. If you feel like Brown Sugar Cupcakery isn't working, and you aren't very established with it, then it's fine to change, but I personally don't think that Chica Chocolita is necessarily the way to go.

Sprinkles are on a lot of cupcakes - all the ones my kids want to eat - so it is reflective of the name. But how many cupcakes places are out there that nobody has heard of. And Bleeding Heart Bakery ends in Bakery, so despite the beginning, it tells people what it is.

Chica Chocolita not only doesn't tell people that you sell baked goods, it misleads them to think you are a chocolatier. It would be a great name for a fudge shop or something...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #24 of 45

poco pastel panadería

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm
post #25 of 45

I completely understand wanting to drop the old married name. That would bug me too. It's hard, but I think you need to come up with something different than the Chica Chocolatina name. Will you be making traditional spanish/latin treats? If not then I think you should shy away from completely latino names. What about La Chica's Cupcakery or even Los Chicas' Cupcakery. I still think though that if you aren't catering to the latino community then you might reconsider your name taking that tone.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:23pm
post #26 of 45

I didn't read everything but I like

CocoLoco Cupcakery

or Coco's Cupcakery

I think Brown Sugar Cupcakery is kinda long but it's a cute name.

icon_biggrin.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:52pm
post #27 of 45

Re the 'cupcakery' part of the name... will you only do cupcakes? No other cakes? What about if (when) the cupcakes craze dies down? (no, don't cover your ears and say "lalalala". I think it will happen - remember frozen yogurt?)

I would think seriously about being a 'cakery' or a 'bakery' instead, which are both much broader.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:46pm
post #28 of 45

good point tubbs!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:51pm
post #29 of 45

In my opinion...both names are a bit too busy. Just my thought. icon_smile.gif

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm
post #30 of 45

I have to agree with Jamie - both names sound busy....as I was reading all the replies, one name came to my mind....Brown Sugar Cupcake....just an idea....seems to flow a little better than cupcakery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%