Ribbon??

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm by lkoenig07

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I'm making a bridal shower cake next weekend. It's just a one-tier 10" square, and it'll be frosted in BC. I want to put a ribbon around the bottom as shown in these pics:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1296584

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1285950

But I'm not sure how to get the bow look w/o squeezing too tight & squishing the cake (if that makes sense). Do they just make the bow separately & the attach it to the ribbon? Help please!!! Thanks!

4 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 5

Definitely make the bow separately and attach after the border ribbon is placed around the cake.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 5

First - if you are using a BC icing be sure the icing has a slight crust. This will prevent any seepage onto the ribbon.

With a small dot or two of BC or gel, attach one end of the ribbon to the botton of the cake and gentle wrap around the cake and add a dot or two again to connect the two pieces. Make your bow separate and attach it with a dot of BC to the ribbon that is on the cake. ( you can hide the junction of the ribbon under the bow) Hope that helps.... post a picture of your finished cake.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 5

I absolutely hate putting ribbon on a square BC cake. It tends to cut into the icing at the corners and that makes it look sloppy! One way to help prevent that is to cut strips of card stock paper to fit, in other words the same length as the sides of the cake, and attach that to the back of the ribbon before placing on the cake. This will give it some substance and help it not cut into the icing. And yes, definitely do the bow separately.

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks all!! And thanks Melvira for the tip...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%