Eggwhite Versus Whole Egg In Wasc

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm by MacsMom

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:23am
post #1 of 9

Is there a reason why I should use egg whites over whole eggs in the WASC recipe? What would be the difference in using whole eggs? Would it be more moist or be easier to carve? I need to carve this WASC cake into butterfly wings...............any recommendations? Thanks.

8 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:40am
post #2 of 9

In my experience, the texture and flavor of the cake doesn't change when using whole eggs vs. whites only. I think the main reason you use whites only is to maintain the WHITEness of the cake. I don't think it will be any easier or more difficult to carve using whole eggs, but you will need to add fewer whole eggs than egg whites. (Same volume, different egg count.)

cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:43am
post #3 of 9

so if it calls for 8 egg whites.....how many whole eggs would you use??

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:54am
post #4 of 9

OK, here's my dislaimer...I'm no expert! I've used 6 eggs instead of 8 whites. I've also used a mixture of egg substitue and whole eggs when I was out of "real" eggs. I've never had a bad result with WASC. I found this chart online that shows measurements of whites vs. whole eggs. I cannot vouch for it's accuracy, but it did come from a rather reliable source. Hope it helps some!

EGGS
4 jumbo eggs = 1 cup
6 jumbo whites = 1 cup
12 jumbo yolks = 1 cup

4 Ex Lg eggs = 1 cup
6 Ex Lg whites = 1 cup
12 Ex Lg yolks = 1 cup

5 Lg eggs = 1 cup
7 Lg whites = 1 cup
14 Lg yolks = 1 cup

5 Med eggs = 1 cup
8 Med whites = 1 cup
16 Med yolks = 1 cup

6 Sm eggs = 1 cup
9 Sm whites = 1 cup
18 Sm yolks = 1 cup

cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks springflour!!! That helped a lot!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 9

Nope, I haven't noticed a difference. I use egg substitute in mine! Turns out the same and no cracking eggs. (Trader Joes has the best price).

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 9

Good info to have. Thanks! I just tried the WASC recipe this past week and it turned out wonderful. I think it's my new best friend.

Lisa

MacsMom Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 9

I LOVE the WASC recipe!!

I make all of my cakes with that as the base, switching up cake mix flavors, extracts, using flavored yogurts in place of sour cream, using coffee creamers or melted ice-cream or other juices/coffee in place of the water, adding a pkg of pudding... everything I've ever tried comes out amazing with this recipe!

MacsMom Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 9

I LOVE the WASC recipe!!

I make all of my cakes with that as the base, switching up cake mix flavors, extracts, using flavored yogurts in place of sour cream, using coffee creamers or melted ice-cream or other juices/coffee in place of the water, adding a pkg of pudding... everything I've ever tried comes out amazing with this recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%